Help Me Create Networking Labs

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create labs so that my fellow students and I can learn using hands on methods. Here's the setup. The school has several Cisco switches/firewalls/routers, and 3 client PCs that we can play around with. I plan to put Server 2012 on one of the PCs, and use the others as clients.

EXAMPLE:

Here's the sort of thing I'm going for.

"Using what you have learned so far, configure this Server 2012 machine to dynamically assign IP addresses to the 2 client machines."

Simple right?

Then the student would do everything from scratch. Hook the Server to the switch, and the client to the switch. (For the easy labs, the switch will be already configured, The harder labs will require it to be configured.) Install the DHCP role, create a scope, verify the client and server can connect, ipconfig /release /renew, and ipconfig to very the client got an address.

I'm looking for things like that. Any ideas are appreciated!

i7 4790k | GTX 970 | 16GB

That's all you need to know. It's a beast.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create labs so that my fellow students and I can learn using hands on methods. Here's the setup. The school has several Cisco switches/firewalls/routers, and 3 client PCs that we can play around with. I plan to put Server 2012 on one of the PCs, and use the others as clients.

EXAMPLE:

Here's the sort of thing I'm going for.

"Using what you have learned so far, configure this Server 2012 machine to dynamically assign IP addresses to the 2 client machines."

Simple right?

Then the student would do everything from scratch. Hook the Server to the switch, and the client to the switch. (For the easy labs, the switch will be already configured, The harder labs will require it to be configured.) Install the DHCP role, create a scope, verify the client and server can connect, ipconfig /release /renew, and ipconfig to very the client got an address.

I'm looking for things like that. Any ideas are appreciated!

Within windows server:

Setup a domain

Setup active directory

- look at Group policy

Setup a file sever

Setup a PXE server

Setup DNS server

Setup DHCP server

Setup web server

TFTP server

FTP server

snmp service

Setup a HyperV server with some linux hosts

then in linux setup

web servers, dns and dhcp servers

SAMBA shares

proxy server

snmp server

cacti monitoring server - add all your servers, switches, routers here

observium monitoring server - add all your servers, switches, routers here

Cisco stuffs:

basic setup of switches and routers

different routing protocals

static routes, OSPF etc etc

differences between L2 and L3 ports

Vlans and Vlan routing

STP

updating ios's on devices by TFTP and FTP servers

copying and downloading configs on to ftp servers - usefull for multiple people to have their own configs,

ssh server

snmp server

probably the best thing you can do while working on cisco devices is learning the "show" commands so you can figure out why its broken

theres lots more but i think this should get you started