Blinking lights

Lumberjack625

When I turn my game console(on a wall tap) on, the lights in my room blink once. When an appliance in the laundry room downstairs turns on, all the lights in the house blink once. When my sister uses a hair styling thing in her room, all the lights upstairs dim and blink constantly. Nothing happens when I turn my pc or monitor on, yet they are on a surge protector. What's going on!?!?!

Can this damage or lag anything?

Do you have many devices on the same wall plug?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

When some home appliances turn on, they can require alot of power, then the house realizes it needs to send more power to everywhere else to get everything to work at full potential. Your computer just doesn't use enough power to do that. No lag or anything like that involved.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

The console, a HDtv, and an U verse wireless receiver are on the one tap. The pc and monitor on the surge protector.

Why does a game console and hair straightener need so much power?

There is something seriously wrong with your electrical network, maybe multiple wall taps are on the same breaker switch 

That's gonna be a headache to fix though

OK, so is everyone sure my stuff won't be damaged though.

If your electricity system doesn't crap out they probably won't. But it's on the good way to just blow up.. Really, something is wrong, better contact an electrician before you see your house in flames... 

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

I would contact professional. That's one symptom of very serious issue which has potential to kill anyone touching just light switch. No joke. My dad had that issue and told about it to electrian friend to get it fixed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A surge protector is good but I would look into a UPS in your case, sounds like you have a really overloaded circuit and a UPS is the best protection for brown outs because it insures all connected electronics receive a constant voltage.  Are the lights that blink CFL's?

When some home appliances turn on, they can require alot of power, then the house realizes it needs to send more power to everywhere else to get everything to work at full potential. Your computer just doesn't use enough power to do that. No lag or anything like that involved.

Thats not how it works at all lol......   Your house isn't sentient, it doesn't "realize" or "send" anything.

On older houses with poor wiring its not uncommon to see the lights dim if you turn on an applicance with a high current draw.  The increased current draw causes a slight drop in voltage across the system resulting in dimmed or flickering lights.  However, a game console is not a high draw appliance, so you might want to have it looked into OP.

Our house does the same thing. When the washing machine/dryer turns on or I use my hair dryer, the lights will dim a bit. We have all our important electronics (computers, home theater system) set up on their own UPS and surge protector, though.

Our house isn't that old though, it was built around 2000.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I'm oversimplifying because I'm on my phone :/

Thats not how it works at all lol......   Your house isn't sentient, it doesn't "realize" or "send" anything.

On older houses with poor wiring its not uncommon to see the lights dim if you turn on an applicance with a high current draw.  The increased current draw causes a slight drop in voltage across the system resulting in dimmed or flickering lights.  However, a game console is not a high draw appliance, so you might want to have it looked into OP.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd