Weird Word 2010 issue; settings won't stick?!

Hi guys,

Normally when you type a word followed by a hyphen followed by a word (e.g. "hi - hi") the hyphen between the words will change into a dash. I noticed last Monday that apparently the change from hyphen to dash doesn't occur anymore apropos of nothing at all.

It's a piece of cake to get into the settings and just check the right box to indeed change hyphens to dashes in the above-mentioned scenario, but for some reason it only works in this particular session. If I open another document or even re-open the document I was working on, the setting has reversed - the hyphens will stay hyphens when I use them like I do right now - and no matter what I do I can't get Word to stick with the settings I want it to use, which is very annoying.  :huh:

I hope you understand the issue. I found it a bit hard to explain properly... Please ask if you need anything clarified.

Anyone who knows how I can "force" Word 2010 to use the settings I want it to use even after I've closed the program or opened a new document?

Thanks!

hah.. word, try openoffice instead

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

hah.. word, try openoffice instead

Not to sound ungrateful but that isn't really a solution to my problem.  ;) I'm sorry but I have no intention of switching to Open Office, I like the Microsoft Office experience. That being said, this problem is really annoying to me and occurred out of nothing really. The software always behaved how I wanted until a couple of days a go. At least that's when I noticed.

Not to sound ungrateful but that isn't really a solution to my problem.  ;) I'm sorry but I have no intention of switching to Open Office, I like the Microsoft Office experience. That being said, this problem is really annoying to me and occurred out of nothing really. The software always behaved how I wanted until a couple of days a go. At least that's when I noticed.

have you tried reinstalling it?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

have you tried reinstalling it?

As a matter a fact no. Will I be able to do this without having to buy a new software code? This issue is hardly worth the money for a new license. What will happen to all the documents, excel documents and powerpoints if Office were to be temporarily removed?

As a matter a fact no. Will I be able to do this without having to buy a new software code? This issue is hardly worth the money for a new license. What will happen to all the documents, excel documents and powerpoints if Office were to be temporarily removed?

well... if you bought it once, wouldent it be justified to... aquire a code a different way? and the docs, nothing should happen to them, but just in case, back them up