mechanical keyboard o-ring installation problem?

ben dover kid
Go to solution Solved by byalexandr,

Well if you didn't get the silence you wanted, they're probably too small.

Your keyboard isn't going to explode. Just put the O-Rings on the stem of the keycap, and when you press down it will push it where it needs to be.

so i got these o-rings. i pushed them all the way to the bottom of the key, and i noticed no difference in the bottoming out noise. then i took the o-rings out(i didn't put them in all of them, luckily), and only put them a littlebit inside, and then pushed the keys back to the keyboard. now they work, but everyone says that you should push them all the way the the bottom of the keys, is that necessary? is my keyboard going to explode since i didn't follow that "rule"?

Your keyboard isn't going to explode. Just put the O-Rings on the stem of the keycap, and when you press down it will push it where it needs to be.

so i got these o-rings. i pushed them all the way to the bottom of the key, and i noticed no difference in the bottoming out noise. then i took the o-rings out(i didn't put them in all of them, luckily), and only put them a littlebit inside, and then pushed the keys back to the keyboard. now they work, but everyone says that you should push them all the way the the bottom of the keys, is that necessary? is my keyboard going to explode since i didn't follow that "rule"?

why would it explode?

and i see no point in o-rings whatsoever...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

why would it explode?

It just makes the relatively loud plastic-on-plastic sound quieter.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

why would it explode?

O-rings make it more quiet, but yeahhh...

to game or not to game, that`s the question

thats what i did. good to hear that my keyboard isn't going to explode, i was actually nervous about that.... i couldn't get the enter key out tho, the tool didn't even fit. also spacebar had 3 thing to put the o-ring in, i ended up putting 1 in all of them.

why would it explode?

these o-rings reduced travel distance, now its better, also the bottoming out voice is basically gone now. makes huge difference

It just makes the relatively loud plastic-on-plastic sound quieter.

personally i like the noise that comes from my K70.. but its whatever I guess :P

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

personally i like the noise that comes from my K70.. but its whatever I guess :P

same but blues for example, the more high-pitched sound would drive my cray cray

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

same but blues for example, the more high-pitched sound would drive my cray cray

that's why i never got blues hahah xD

Old Rig

that's why i never got blues hahah xD

I wanted browns on my K70 but the reds were on sale for like $20 off and I like them but I want to know what the browns feel like D:

If pushing the o-rings in all the way yielded no result then either the rings are too small or the key cap is not deeply attached to the switch. If you don't put the ring in all the way then it will eventually just work it's way all the way in ending in the same result.

Try some thicker rings. Like 40A-R. R should be quite thick compared to L. Or use 2 rings.

I have MX Blues at work and while I like the click sound of the switch, there is also a Clack sound from the keys hitting the aluminium case. That clack is significantly louder than the blue click. 

iPhone 5 / iPad 1 / iPad 3 / iPad Mini / iPad Air 2 | Galaxy S / Nexus 7 / Sero 7 / Nvidia Shield Tablet

Asus Maximus VI Hero / i7 4770 / GTX 780 Windforce SLI / Samsung 850 Pro 1TB / Rosewill Blackhawk

G710 & G500s / Cougar 600K / Blackwidow Ultimate 2016