Please help me choose a budget headset...

gho123

I hate shopping for a headset and would appreciate suggestions to help me decide on something.

Ideally, I'd prefer to spend under $50.00 but may possibly inch toward the 60 - 65ish range. 

I'm running Windows 7 - X64.

I want the set to be wired.

I want the set to be the type with somewhat large earmuffs that fit mostly fit over the ears, and I prefer that the earmuffs be leather (or whatever the material is called); the fabric muffs are hard to keep clean.

I prefer the mic boom to be the hard plastic type that you can raise up or down -- not the bendable type.

That's basically it.

Thanks!

post-38709-0-30478900-1378290470.jpg

Why USB if I may ask? with USB you will get a buzzing from the feedback if you turn the volume up on the headset itself.

You will be hard pressed to find a USB headset with all those requirements that is actually worth it and in your price range.

Not want you want but....

I would suggest either the Planstronic Gamecom 380's, not leather earpars but it has everything else you want.

If you rotate the earpads 90degree's they are over ear.

Or steelseries siberia v2.

Or even the Corsair Vengeance 1300, those have everything you want apart from they are not USB, which imo you should have a very good reason for wanting USB in the first place.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Why USB if I may ask? with USB you will get a buzzing from the feedback if you turn the volume up on the headset itself.

You will be hard pressed to find a USB headset with all those requirements that is actually worth it and in your price range.

Not want you want but....

I would suggest either the Planstronic Gamecom 380's, not leather earpars but it has everything else you want.

If you rotate the earpads 90degree's they are over ear.

Or steelseries siberia v2.

Or even the Corsair Vengeance 1300, those have everything you want apart from they are not USB, which imo you should have a very good reason for wanting USB in the first place.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you think it's a bad idea to buy a USB headset.  Just a hunch...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you think it's a bad idea to buy a USB headset.  Just a hunch...

Yeh it is :D

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Is "looks cool" one of your requirements as well?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Is "looks cool" one of your requirements as well?

Seriously?  You have over 1k posts here, and I'm brand new -- so is trolling me really the impression that you want me, as a new member, to have of the community here?

If I had posted and simply said that I want someone to suggest a headset for xyz price range, I'd have surely been asked some or all of the very questions that I proactively answered in my OP.

Get the 780's. My friend has the turtle beaches, they suck.

Thanks for your recommendation.  I had actually decided on that headset and went ahead and ordered it a few minutes before you made your post that recommended it, so I was glad to see your comment.

It has some amazing reviews, and I got it for a really good price.

Seriously?  You have over 1k posts here, and I'm brand new -- so is trolling me really the impression that you want me, as a new member, to have of the community here?

If I had posted and simply said that I want someone to suggest a headset for xyz price range, I'd have surely been asked some or all of the very questions that I proactively answered in my OP.

serious question, no disrespect intended.  Some people want their headphones/headsets to match their computer builds.  I was WONDERING if you'd be interested in a separate headphone and microphone instead of a headset, is all.  I don't represent the community and plenty of people with fewer posts than me are much better representations of it.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

serious question, no disrespect intended.  Some people want their headphones/headsets to match their computer builds.  I was WONDERING if you'd be interested in a separate headphone and microphone instead of a headset, is all.  I don't represent the community and plenty of people with fewer posts than me are much better representations of it.

He's not trolling, it may seem like he has an attitude, but it's hard to tell when it's just words. He's a good guy!

Pick up a decent and named set of audio headphones, preferebly with a sever amount of money off then buy a clip on 3.5mm jacked microphone.

Don't be a "Gamerz hedsett" fashion victim.

Stuff I try to use;

AMD FX 8350 4.3Ghz, Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, 2x Asus HD6850, 8BG Kingston Hyper X RAM, Hyper X 120Gb SSD, Corsair GS800 PSU, Cooler Master HAF922 Case and my branes.

He's not trolling, it may seem like he has an attitude, but it's hard to tell when it's just words. He's a good guy!

My apologies to h264, then.  He may be one of the exceptions, as with the state of things on the Internet these days, it's usually safe to assume that if someone doesn't go out of their way to make it clear that they 'aren't' trolling or trying to be a d-bag, then they probably are.

No, there are not that many trolls, at least on the audio part of the forum. It's a big reason why I'm on this forum and not others. Most people generally want to help.

My apologies to h264, then.  He may be one of the exceptions, as with the state of things on the Internet these days, it's usually safe to assume that if someone doesn't go out of their way to make it clear that they 'aren't' trolling or trying to be a d-bag, then they probably are.

yeah, 4chan won't give you a particularly good view of the human condition, I'll tell you that.  I'll continue to try to word my replies carefully, but people always give confused responses when I ask if they care about aesthetics.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a stick-on stiff boom mic. If you can get over that, OP, a few forum members said they liked this Panasonic - just add a Zalman clip-on.