Stress tests to validate used hardwares' integrity

79wjd

I'm going to be buying some used hardware and wanted to know what stress tests to run and what's the likelihood of passing all the tests and having a problem down the road.

I was planning on running prime95, Aida64, and memtest86 for at least 24 hours.

Xeon e3 1230v2, supermicro c204, and four sticks of ECC memory.

Edit: spell check fucks with my title and now I forgot what word I meant to say.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

please dont use prime95 unless you plan on killing the CPU

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just get Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It has both a CPU an RAM tester set to timers, allowing you to control exactly how long the test run.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I personally don't even do 24 hours of stress testing if I had no issues on first post when putting the PC together. Even if I ran into an issue, it's probably because I forgot to plug in a cable, or plug it in all the way anyways, so nothing related to making sure something will be stable.

I just run stress tests to get reads on temperatures and hand them off to the people I built them for and ask them to let me know immediately if they run into any issues. I've done about 8 of these so far and never had any complaints, and I'm almost always using Xeon chips.

Though, I am using ASRock boards.

please dont use prime95 unless you plan on killing the CPU

prime95 doesn't kill haswell let alone ivy ridge.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

prime95 doesn't kill haswell let alone ivy ridge.

I dont mean like legit kill in one go, It will shorten its life span tho

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just get Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. It has both a CPU an RAM tester set to timers, allowing you to control exactly how long the test run.

I personally don't even do 24 hours of stress testing if I had no issues on first post when putting the PC together. Even if I ran into an issue, it's probably because I forgot to plug in a cable, or plug it in all the way anyways, so nothing related to making sure something will be stable.

I just run stress tests to get reads on temperatures and hand them off to the people I built them for and ask them to let me know immediately if they run into any issues. I've done about 8 of these so far and never had any complaints, and I'm almost always using Xeon chips.

Though, I am using ASRock boards.

And what's the likelihood that I'm able to pass all the tests but run into an issue in a month? 

Well, since I'd be buying used hardware I'd want to validate it some how. (HA!, that's the word I was using that spellcheck made me forget *sigh*). 

I dont mean like legit kill in one go, It will shorten its life span tho

Running a stress test isn't going to drastically affect the life of a cpu unless the cpu is going to be failing anyway. 

Also, if I get the receipts will I still be able to utilize the warranty on the hardware if I run into any issues (assuming I'm still within the warranty period)? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

And what's the likelihood that I'm able to pass all the tests but run into an issue in a month? 

Well, since I'd be buying used hardware I'd want to validate it some how. (HA!, that's the word I was using that spellcheck made me forget *sigh*). 

I've never done a stress test longer than three hours and I haven't received any complaints. I was working with new, out of the box hardware so I'm not sure about used. Depends on the condition, but if it works it works y'know.