MSI GTX 960 4GB or MSI R9 380?

Not breaking CoC but you sure are trying to make him waste money hard

And I'm pretty sure godlygamer's going to take your side anyway. And bad decision? If getting a 290 over a 960 is a bad decision, then I should've gotten a 750ti over my 7950.

Motherf... how, i'm trying to prevent him from spending it. Are you mentally challenged?

I think he's confused the argument down to you being an advocate for a 960 since you've been arguing con 290 this whole time. Miscommunication, it happens.

And I'm pretty sure godlygamer's going to take your side anyway. And bad decision? If getting a 290 over a 960 is a bad decision, then I should've gotten a 750ti over my 7950.

It's not the choice of graphics cards. I don't care if it's the 960 or 280. I care about the horrible match with that ancient CPU.

It's not the choice of graphics cards. I don't care if it's the 960 or 280. I care about the horrible match with that ancient CPU.

I'd like to refer back to my earlier argument about the Q6600. People still rocking it fine.

Guys, guys, guys, chill!

The mod team isn't here to judge the quality of your advice (that would simply be beyond our possibilities), at least not in our capacity as mods (as regular members talking about something on which we're knowledgeable, different thing of course). We appreciate your passion, but please, keep it civil. Thanks. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'd like to refer back to my earlier argument about the Q6600. People still rocking it fine.

That doesn't unmake them tech from 2007 that is woefully inadequate or running games at the settings a 290 should be running games at, or anything close to 60fps at stockspeeds.

Guys, guys, guys, chill!

The mod team isn't here to judge the quality of your advice (that would simply be beyond our possibilities), at least not in our capacity as mods (as regular members talking about something on which we're knowledgeable, different thing of course). We appreciate your passion, but please, keep it civil. Thanks.  :)

Even something as blatantly obvious as pairing a R9-290 with a G1820 Celeron being a bad idea? if that is beyond the scope of your expertise on a PC-tech forum, what are you even doing here.

Guys, guys, guys, chill!

The mod team isn't here to judge the quality of your advice (that would simply be beyond our possibilities), at least not in our capacity as mods (as regular members talking about something on which we're knowledgeable, different thing of course). We appreciate your passion, but please, keep it civil. Thanks. :)

Just a thought but maybe if you did there would be less "passion"

If anyone asks you never saw me.

This utter laissez-faire aproach indeed. Allowing such terrible advice to occur unchallenged and then be suprised to be called in to put out the fires.

That doesn't unmake them tech from 2007 that is woefully inadequate or running games at the settings a 290 should be running games at, or anything close to 60fps at stockspeeds.

Even something as blatantly obvious as pairing a R9-290 with a G1820 Celeron being a bad idea?

Stock speeds yes, overclocked speeds no. And thought we were talking about an Phenomenon(Not actual spelling) x4 something or similar? Or did I miss something? Because if I did, whoops.

Stock speeds yes, overclocked speeds no. And thought we were talking about an Phenomenon(Not actual spelling) x4 something or similar? Or did I miss something? Because if I did, whoops.

That Phenom X4 is about the same speed as a G1820 celeron, just as a more modern reference point. A 35 euro CPU, and don is arguing we pair a R9-290 with that and it's just fine.

Shameful advice.

im not running at stock speeds right now on my CPU. Ive managed to get it to run stable at 2.6GHz on 4 cores and 4 threads. although if i disable 2 cores, i can get it to run at 3.0GHz on 2 cores and 2 threads. 

NOTE: the multiplier was locked on this CPU so i had to overclock with the FSB. my multiplier is at 12 and my FSB is at 217 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

That Phenom X4 is about the same speed as a G1820 celeron, just as a more modern reference point. A 35 euro CPU, and don is arguing we pair a R9-290 with that and it's just fine.

Shameful advice.

But isn't it pretty much a Q6600? It won't do that bad with a 290, and it'll certainly tide him over until he gets a better cpu.

im not running at stock speeds right now on my CPU. Ive managed to get it to run stable at 2.6GHz on 4 cores and 4 threads. although if i disable 2 cores, i can get it to run at 3.0GHz on 2 cores and 2 threads. 

What game's are you playing, for the record?

But isn't it pretty much a Q6600? It won't do that bad with a 290, and it'll certainly tide him over until he gets a better cpu.

What game's are you playing, for the record?

im playing minecraft, heroes and generals, TF2, unturned, gmod, rust, and Fallout 4

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Q6600 == G1820, that's how far tech has come since then. And it will do severely worse than his 950 would've, given AMD's driver performance in fallout 4.

Diminishing returns. Overclocking is talking percentages, not n-times the performance. But man, it's late here. I'm going to bed.

Do whatever you feel, but don't be suprised if you're not even remotely getting the performance you're expecting. Worse still, you'll get less fps in Fallout 4 as you did with your GTX 950. My advice, get some second hand GTX 660 and sit it out till you can buy something decent.

im playing minecraft, heroes and generals, TF2, unturned, gmod, rust, and Fallout 4

Q6600 == G1820, that's how far tech has come since then.

Diminishing returns. Overclocking is talking percentages, not n-times the performance.

Dang. Well, it wouldn't be too bad if not for that fallout 4. As he sold his 950, and needs a new gpu otherwise he won't be able to play said games, he might as well buy one.

Dang. Well, it wouldn't be too bad if not for that fallout 4. As he sold his 950, and needs a new gpu otherwise he won't be able to play said games, he might as well buy one.

l.ol i used to get like 15fps even with a gtx 950 on low settings in fallout 4. and that was in 1440x900 lol

l.ol i used to get like 15fps even with a gtx 950 on low settings in fallout 4. and that was in 1440x900 lol

You might want to get a better cpu, like pronto for FO4. The 950 wasn't the bottleneck, the cpu was.

You might want to get a better cpu, like pronto for FO4. The 950 wasn't the bottleneck, the cpu was.

i know i saw my cpu would spike up to 98% while my gpu stayed at like 14% to 28% on msi afterburner. i already know my cpu is a shitbox. after all it was free and from my school's eDump. as of now i have no job so i cant make any money for a total system rebuild/overhaul. i merely used my saved up lunch money and the money i charged for labor in building my friend his pc to try an buy myself a new video card.

Yeah, but that would basically mean that I'd need to come in this thread and be the one most knowledgeable about GPUs and CPUs, and then select which of you guys gives valid advice and who does not. But honestly, I haven't been keeping enough up to date lately, so you guys probably know more about this at the moment than I do. In a perfect world, I'd be all-knowing, but alas, we're not quite there yet. :D

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Yeah, but that would basically mean that I'd need to come in this thread and be the one most knowledgeable about GPUs and CPUs, and then select which of you guys gives valid advice and who does not. But honestly, I haven't been keeping enough up to date lately, so you guys probably know more about this at the moment than I do. In a perfect world, I'd be all-knowing, but alas, we're not quite there yet. :D

How about stickys on the most common topics? That way you can direct outburst like this one to the sticky.

We seriously have a fanboy battle everyday over the 390/970 war.

Sorry to go off topic. On my phone and you seem to actually want to help this forum.

Then what the hell are you doing moderating this forum if you can't spot such obviously bad advice. I'm sorry but that pisses me off serverely..

This would be literally like a cop seeing a mullah, armed with a AK-47 and a bomb-vest, angry demeanor on his face, enter a plane and going "I can't decide if I should stop him or not, if only I had better training!".

fk i'm going to bed, this forum man.

Hi so recently ive managed to sell my gtx 950 2gb to my friend and now im looking for a new card to replace mines. on newegg and b&h i saw the MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4GB and i also saw the MSI R9 290 there as well. both are the same price at $229.99 so i cant really decide which card to get. Ive read that the R9 290 has better performance compared to the GTX 960. if this true then what is the pros and cons of these 2 cards. i have an Antec EA-650w PSU so im covered on the power supply. any help is appreciated. also what are the temps on the r9 290 and the gtx 960 when under load?  

The MSI R9 290 mops the floor with any GTX 960. It's like asking Corvette vs Volkswagen.

The MSI R9 290 mops the floor with any GTX 960. It's like asking Corvette vs Volkswagen.

Hey, I have a VW! 68 FTW bahahahahaha!!!

This poor topic :(

Oh, and get a Vapor X 290.

How about stickys on the most common topics? That way you can direct outburst like this one to the sticky.

We seriously have a fanboy battle everyday over the 390/970 war.

Well, somebody would need to write those stickies, and the GPU section is pretty sticky-heavy already anyway. Plus, even if you do have stickies, people might still disagree with them and argue.

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to the idea though, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the current GPU and CPU situation to write it. And I'm not sure if we would sticky yet another thread in this section with already quite a few stickies. Hard to say though. I don't really visit the GPU section often enough to have an accurate picture of the situation to be honest, I'm mostly in the storage section (fewer flame wars :D ) when I'm not doing moderating work.

In general though, arguing isn't really that big of an issue from our (moderators, that is) perspective, as long as it's somewhat respectful. Though I understand that after a while it can get exhausting.

Sorry to go off topic. On my phone and you seem to actually want to help this forum.

No problem, I think the thread will survive. And yes, I do. :)