MSI GTX 960 4GB or MSI R9 380?

Guys...OP has an AMD Phenom X4 9750...

R9-390 (or 380) with a CPU equivalent to a Celeron 1820? You almost made him buy something completely foolish..

Roughly equivalent to a Q6600. Not as bad as you'd make him believe.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

HAHAHA I can't tell if you're fucking joking or not...

290 hands down without a single doubt. Especially since it's aftermarket.

Guys...OP has an AMD Phenom X4 9750...

R9-390 (or 380) with a CPU equivalent to a Celeron 1820? You almost made him buy something completely foolish..

It's still way better to get a 290.

Even if the CPU sucks he has the GPU power and can upgrade the CPU later on.

Roughly equivalent to a Q6600. Not as bad as you'd make him believe.

G1820 and Q6600 are actually the same speed.

It's still way better to get a 290.

Even if the CPU sucks he has the GPU power and can upgrade the CPU later on.

No it's a dumb idea. Who says he has the budget to upgrade that CPU in any reasonable amount of time. Before that GPU is already old, for example.

No it's a dumb idea. Who says he has the budget to upgrade that CPU in any reasonable amount of time. Before that GPU is already old, for example.

Still fine.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Still fine.

You people are absolutely horrible. Giving the worst possible advice this man can get. And why, because it's AMD hardware he's buying?

Are you people this biased and disingenuous you would abuse this person's trust to get more sales towards AMD?

I literally can't even right now.

Buying an R9-380 or R9-290 on that old CPU makes no sense, whatsoever.

The gpu is old yet it's toe to toe with the "less old" 970 and currently is beating the 780/780ti, it's competitor at the time of release.

The gpu is old yet it's toe to toe with the "less old" 970 and currently is beating the 780/780ti, it's competitor at the time of release.

Did you even read what I wrote?  It was implying that the card was no longer relevant. Not the actual age.

the only reason why im sticking with my shitty rig right now is because 80% of the parts were free lol (pulled out of wrecked systems in my school's eDump). as i said earlier im going to rebuild my rig later on when i graduate high school which is next year in 2017. as of now i dont really mind bottlenecks because it wont matter soon because im going to rebuild it later on. 

The parts that i got free on my rig were the Mobo, PSU, CPU, Optical drive, and RAM. and for the Case, i just bought a used case from WeirdStuff for like $10 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

You people are absolutely horrible. Giving the worst possible advice this man can get. And why, because it's AMD hardware he's buying?

Are you people this biased and disingenuous you would abuse this person's trust to get more sales towards AMD?

We're not biased. The 290/380 will perform better than the 960, even with a bottleneck. Unless he actually pays a lot for power, there isn't too much of a reason why he should get a 960 instead. Additionally, people are still running Q6600's with 290's and 970's. Not that crazy of an idea dude.

the only reason why im sticking with my shitty rig right now is because 80% of the parts were free lol (pulled out of wrecked systems in my school's eDump). as i said earlier im going to rebuild my rig later on when i graduate high school which is next year in 2017. as of now i dont really mind bottlenecks because it wont matter soon because im going to rebuild it later on. 

The parts that i got free on my rig were the Mobo, PSU, CPU, Optical drive, and RAM. and for the Case, i just bought a used case from WeirdStuff for like $10 

Then buy the GPU in 2017, and get some cheap 2nd hand card for the time being. In 2017 that card will no longer be relevant in any way.

We're not biased. The 290/380 will perform better than the 960, even with a bottleneck. Unless he actually pays a lot for power, there isn't too much of a reason why he should get a 960 instead. Additionally, people are still running Q6600's with 290's and 970's. Not that crazy of an idea dude.

Actually it isn't a good idea. And just because other people do it, doesn't make it a good idea. That's just the bandwagon fallacy. Bottleneck is short-selling the story, because that word has lost all it's meaning on this website.

Did you even read what I wrote?  It was implying that the card was no longer relevant. Not the actual age.

Argument still applies. How is it no longer relevant? Card's still supported by AMD, still getting performance improvements from drivers, and is toe to toe with a 970.

Depends on your budget. Right now I would recommend buying a 390 (can outperform the gtx 970) but if you cant afford it go for a 290. Unless your not running windows

Argument still applies. How is it no longer relevant? Card's still supported by AMD, still getting performance improvements from drivers, and is toe to toe with a 970.

By the time he upgrades. READ. Which is, 2017 by the looks of it. Are you saying a $250 dollar card in 2017 won't severely outperform the 290?

By the time he upgrades. READ. Which is, 2017 by the looks of it. Are you saying a $250 dollar card in 2017 won't severely outperform the 290?

Remind me again how old the 7950 is? Remind me again on how well it still holds up? I'm not saying it won't get out performed, I never did. I'm saying it's better than the 960, which was the question. And even in 2017, the 290's going to be in the 7950/7970's place, still doing well, settings just tweaked down a bit. GPU's don't fall out of relevancy as quickly as you think.

CPU elitism >.< - He's fine. He would be fine even if the card were a 290. Scrapyard Wars 1 proved that

I'm not saying it won't get out performed, I never did. 

Well then we're done here. Because then it would make more sense buying the card in 2017. Especially with Polaris and Pascal coming out.

CPU elitism >.< - 

What kind of mental gymnastics am I even reading... CPU Elitism?

@Godlygamer23 this is unacceptable tbh. There is a line you can't cross with advice, when you're just flatout making people making people make bad decisions. And I believe these people are crossing it.

Well then we're done here. Because then it would make more sense buying the card in 2017. Especially with Polaris and Pascal coming out.

It would. But since when have humans always made sense?

CPU elitism >.< - He's fine. He would be fine even if the card were a 290. Scrapyard Wars 1 proved that

Luke's 290 with an E8400. Let's all remember his great example.

Those are purely entertainment video's, not purchase advices. What is it that Linus said.. "Do as i Say, not as I do?"

The Q6600 + R9 280 worked flawlessly IIRC

Those are purely entertainment video's, not purchase advices. What is it that Linus said.. "Do as i Say, not as I do?"

He also gave those pc's out. Besides, it was Luke doing it, not Linus. (Score for technicality)

What kind of mental gymnastics am I even reading... CPU Elitism?

@Godlygamer23 this is unacceptable tbh. There is a line you can't cross with advice, when you're just flatout making people making people make bad decisions. And I believe these people are crossing it.

Not breaking CoC but you sure are trying to make him waste money hard

It did, and it should've. Honestly, wouldn't mind having a rig with one overclocked.

This is what I'm getting at. The OP's Phenom X4 and R9 380 will be perfectly fine