ok 1440 monitor vs. best 1080p monitor

Savir

I was wondering if I should get a 1440p or 1080p monitor. My budget is $260 which is low for a good 1440p monitor. Should I just get a 1080p monitor? Can my build power 1440p? Is it worth it? I will use the monitor for gaming and some school. 

this is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kKhNK8

just make sure it's IPS and has height-adjustment

other than that look it up on http://tftcentral.co.uk for a review

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

^^

as long as its IPS you are fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

If you're willing to cough out the ~$400 USD, you can get this monitor. 4K :)

That rig of yours will surely drive this bad boy.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

If you're willing to cough out the ~$400 USD, you can get this monitor. 4K :)

That rig of yours will surely drive this bad boy.

The R9 390 isn't powerful enough to power 4k though

The R9 390 isn't powerful enough to power 4k though

If you try to run Crysis with the details cranked that is. What about the mainstream titles that most people play?

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

You can get a 144 hz 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor at 60 hz

Depends if you want higher PPI 

or if you want to be pro at CS GO

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

You can get a 144 hz 1080p monitor or a 1440p monitor at 60 hz

Depends if you want higher PPI 

or if you want to be pro at CS GO

I'll probably go for the higher pixels. I'm already LEM in CS:GO and I play on a 60hz laptop screen so...

This was the 1440p monitor I was looking at http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-pb258q

so.... you want me to link you the tftcentral page?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_pb278q.htm

here read the review, form you own opinion, don't listen to these filthy animals

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

If you try to run Crysis with the details cranked that is. What about the mainstream titles that most people play?

Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege, Just Cause 3? those are the games that I play besides CS:GO and other butter-smooth games 

Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, Rainbow Six Siege, Just Cause 3? those are the games that I play besides CS:GO and other butter-smooth games 

Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, butter smooth??

like what are you even doing? you're being crazy! that's insane!

It really depends on what you want out of your system.

I run two 1080 HP 23cw monitors right now, and love them (paid $130 for one back in September, and $120 for the second this month.) They may be too small for you, or you may want that resolution in one monitor, or you may want to have them side-by-side to run a panoramic game experience, or you may want three monitors, or..., or... See where I'm going with this? If pixel density is your most important capability, then the answer is to buy a cheaper 4k display. It really doesn't have to be super-expensive to give you a good experience. My monitors are cheap, but they work for me because I don't do panoramic gaming, don't care about 4k vs 1080 gaming, and wanted the second screen for content creation and having a browser open next to my game window instead of having to tab out of the game. It just so happens that these are also IPS (a must, really) and have color accuracy that you can normally only find in monitors that are $500 or more.

My advice... Buy the Asus from a supplier that doesn't have a restrictive return policy and try it out (if you're in the U.S., Best Buy may have that monitor, and they have a no hassle return policy.) If you can't run your games at 4k, you can always keep running them at 1080 on the 4k display or return the screen for a slightly better 1080p monitor instead. Good luck.

~Cynical~

Since i have pretty much every game you mentioned accept JC3 I can tell you that not all the games runs smoothly at 1440p, Fallout 4 does not, u will have to go into the game files and change 6 values to turn off v sync.You will also have to turn off God Rays  Runs great at 1080p with v sync on and everything maxed out. I can't run R6 siege well for some reason, even at 1080p. With 0 AA or down sampling I get around 55 fps with dips down to 35 fps. But normally the presets automatically up samples the image from i think 720p to 1080p,(temporal filtering)  making it less detailed. 

BF4 runs great at 1440p though Just make sure AA is off

Edit: Actually temporal filtering make it render at half the resolution and then upscales it to what ever the native res is. 

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, butter smooth??

like what are you even doing? you're being crazy! that's insane!

I was talking about CS:GO and like LOL or WOW. And the other AAA titles are the hard to run games 

Since i have pretty much every game you mentioned accept JC3 I can tell you that not all the games runs smoothly at 1440p, Fallout 4 does not, u will have to go into the game files and change 6 values to turn off v sync.You will also have to turn off God Rays  Runs great at 1080p with v sync on and everything maxed out. I can't run R6 siege well for some reason, even at 1080p. With 0 AA or down sampling I get around 55 fps with dips down to 35 fps. But normally the presets automatically up samples the image from i think 720p to 1080p,(temporal filtering)  making it less detailed. 

BF4 runs great at 1440p though Just make sure AA is off

Edit: Actually temporal filtering make it render at half the resolution and then upscales it to what ever the native res is. 

Whats your GPU? and CPU?

It really depends on what you want out of your system.

I run two 1080 HP 23cw monitors right now, and love them (paid $130 for one back in September, and $120 for the second this month.) They may be too small for you, or you may want that resolution in one monitor, or you may want to have them side-by-side to run a panoramic game experience, or you may want three monitors, or..., or... See where I'm going with this? If pixel density is your most important capability, then the answer is to buy a cheaper 4k display. It really doesn't have to be super-expensive to give you a good experience. My monitors are cheap, but they work for me because I don't do panoramic gaming, don't care about 4k vs 1080 gaming, and wanted the second screen for content creation and having a browser open next to my game window instead of having to tab out of the game. It just so happens that these are also IPS (a must, really) and have color accuracy that you can normally only find in monitors that are $500 or more.

My advice... Buy the Asus from a supplier that doesn't have a restrictive return policy and try it out (if you're in the U.S., Best Buy may have that monitor, and they have a no hassle return policy.) If you can't run your games at 4k, you can always keep running them at 1080 on the 4k display or return the screen for a slightly better 1080p monitor instead. Good luck.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'm is US BTW so i'll check out Best Buy

Whats your GPU? and CPU?

i7 4790k at 4.6 ghz

and MSI 390 at 1100 mhz 

i7 4790k at 4.6 ghz

and MSI 390 at 1100 mhz 

Aww man. Well I'm ok with turning the settings down to a mix of medium and high. One of the reason's I'm thinking of getting a 1440p monitor is because I won't have to upgrade for a while and since my GPU is an entry level 1440p card in the future I will just upgrade my GPU without having to upgrade my monitor. What do you think?

Aww man. Well I'm ok with turning the settings down to a mix of medium and high. One of the reason's I'm thinking of getting a 1440p monitor is because I won't have to upgrade for a while and since my GPU is an entry level 1440p card in the future I will just upgrade my GPU without having to upgrade my monitor. What do you think?

That's a great way to think about things.

If you buy the 4k Asus, you'll be set when you upgrade the GPU later.

~Cynical~

1440P it is then. Thanks guys 

Well that is true for about $50 more you can get 4K

watching 4k videos on youtube is great. If you want to get another 390 get can run BF4 4K at 85 FPS. 

You don't have to worry about running out of V ram

Prices has gone up slightly 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3KG2230&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-24-009-832-_-Product

Well that is true for about $50 more you can get 4K

watching 4k videos on youtube is great. If you want to get another 390 get can run BF4 4K at 85 FPS. 

You don't have to worry about running out of V ram

Prices has gone up slightly 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G3KG2230&cm_re=4k_monitor-_-24-009-832-_-Product

WOW thats cheap, but 23.6 inches for 4K? Kinda small. I don't have the budget for another 390 so I'll think I'll stick with 1440p