4U Server Rack Case as a desktop

Greetings!

Building a semi-budget DX12/Vulkan gaming/content creating machine. Will use 1 or 2 screens and some VR headset in feature.

Case:

S411 4U rackmount case

I bought a cheap (12 bucks) barely used S411 rackmount case, all parts inclusive, except for PSU. Description link: http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/ipc_4u_s411.htm

Core componts:

I already bought installed following used parts (250 bucks total):

• AMD FX-8350 with a stock cooler, will replace the cooler and OC dat CPU.
  • Crosshair V Formula Z (best MB for the socket :3 )
  • 16GB (4X4) 1600MHz RAM kit

CPU cooling:

The case is 4U, there's quite little space between the motherboard and the side lid, 155mm from motherboard to the edge to be exact. I thought I'd go for a Zalman CNPS9900 MAX, which is 152 mm in height. The cooler seem to be good enough for FX-8350 overclocking, it's full copper. Couldn't find a 2-fan version in Sweden :(

Liquid cooling is least likely option, the only place to install the radiator is front side (or I'd have to cut some steel and place radiator there). I read specs of pre-filled CPU coolers, seems like the water hose length may not be long enough for front side installation. So I thought I'd go with air cooling since it's most cost effective.

GPU cooling:

Since the case has intake in front and exhaust at rear, I suppose it's better to have a turbine type GPU, but it will be louder. I would like to use an open-cooler type aftermarket graphics card, I can even cut an exhaust window in the side panel of the case, and perhaps install a custom exhaust fan just for the GPU. What are your thoughts on this?

Storage:

Not planning to install several hard drives. There are 2x3.5 inch slots ready to use. I'll install 1-2 HDDs and place SSD(s) some place else.

PSU:

I guess I'll just pick something like 650W. Need to know if there are problems with PSU fitting into the S411 case.

Most important questions:

1. Will the chosen cooler fit? How is the CPU cooler measured? Some of the specified height will be "buried" in the motherboard, so the cooler won't take 152 mm from MOBO base? It depends on how the cooler is mounted and I'm a bit confused since AMD has plastic mounting base that takes height above MB surface.

2. Should I wait for new Radeon cards or pick a GTX 970? I've plenty of time and I don't really want to support Nvidia since their "4GB GDDR5 with 224GBPS bandwidth" lies (real average bandwidth is below 200GBPS when over 3.5 GB is in use). Their products are good, but their marketing is consumer confusing and I doubt I want to encourage them. I'd take a GTX970 if it will be sufficient in a long run, with VR and stuff.

3. S411 compatible PSU form factors.

A custom loop will be a good option as those CPU's push alot of heat, and worst yet with overclocking albeit more expensive.

wait for Polaris from AMD and see what they offer

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

3. Standard ATX PSU.

Dunno about 2 and 1.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

A custom loop will be a good option as those CPU's push alot of heat, and worst yet with overclocking albeit more expensive.

wait for Polaris from AMD and see what they offer

Since I already have the CPU, I don't really want to buy another any soon, maybe in 2017 when the prices will go down. I'm planning to play somewhat older games anyway, I don't really chase hypes or max-graphics, and I'm not even remotely a fan of Ubisoft games, so I'm not losing much with an older FX CPU (except for FPS in Elder Scrolls Online).

I'm going to have at very least 2 front side fans, and 2 80mm fans at rear, close to the CPU. That should do for decent airflow through the whole case. If not, I'll go "full ghetto", cut a hole and install 20-30cm fan on the side - that will be easier and much cheaper, perhaps even more effective than custom loop water cooling.

How is Zalman CNPS9900 situated on AMD sockets? Will it blow air from bottom (GPU) to top (PSU) as most do (vertical airflow), or can it be installed to make parallel airflow with front->rear (horizontal airflow)? I tried to find info on that, but no success :/

Bump: still no answer about how coolers' heights are measured. Need actual height of Zalman CNPS9900 when installed on AM3 socket, measurement from motherboard to highest point of the cooler.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Deepcool Frostwin V2, waiting for delivery. It's not so good but it should fit alright in the slim case I have. Really want to overclock to 4.8 GHz on air, maybe I'll have to replace the fans of that cooler since they have quite low max RPM (1600).

Would be quite a shame if the Frostwin V2 will perform worse than the "ghetto solution inc" 120mm fan on the stock heatsink :D I doubt that the Deepcool heatsink is any worse than the stock though, it has 8 heat pipes and heavy radiators after all. With proper fans I should have quite a huge TDP margin.