Difference between mobile CPUs

I everyone, I just wanted to ask what were some of the differences between mobile CPUs such as an i5 5200U vs i7 5500U. I know that the cache sizes are different along with a small change in core clock, but other than that, is there any differences in terms of performance and also design?For example, the desktop i5 vs the i7 has hyperthreading as well as the different clock seeds and the different cache sizes but since both mobile chips are dual core with hyperthreading, what separates them and what separates the big price tag difference when buying a laptop with these two CPUs? Thank you.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Not enough separates the dual core i7s from the i5s to warrant the price delta. But the answer CAN be integrated graphics, cache, etc... just check the Intel ARK for the specific cpus in question. 

http://ark.intel.com/products/85214/Intel-Core-i7-5500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_00-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/85212/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

For your specific chips the only real difference is cache and clock speed (both of which are largely irrelevant). The GPU is also clocked a tiny bit higher on the i7. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I everyone, I just wanted to ask what were some of the differences between mobile CPUs such as an i5 5200U vs i7 5500U. I know that the cache sizes are different along with a small change in core clock, but other than that, is there any differences in terms of performance and also design?For example, the desktop i5 vs the i7 has hyperthreading as well as the different clock seeds and the different cache sizes but since both mobile chips are dual core with hyperthreading, what separates them and what separates the big price tag difference when buying a laptop with these two CPUs? Thank you.

With the ULV chips there isn't much of a difference with real world performance. The i7 does have better integrated graphics though(most of the time, not sure about the chips you listed).

It's pretty much exactly what you described. The i7 looks a bit better on paper but in real world use the difference is pretty small. If you move up to a full-fledged mobile i7 (the quad cores w/ HT) then the difference is pretty big. 

Personally I'd take better build quality and an i5 over a cheap laptop with i7, just to say it has an i7.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Alright thanks for the answers guys! Really enlightened me a bit :D So I guess the i7 name for the ULV chips are just more for marketing and getting people to spend more money than they should for the performance?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle