WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

1) I have 2 Toshiba 1TB HDD's married with RAID. I went with this setup because when I was first building my computer I couldn't afford an SSD and I've yet to put one in. I record music which takes up alot of space so storage is always great to me.

1. My friend gave me a 500gb Western Digital blue when I was building my computer and I haven't got around to upgrading it yet, Then my laptop has a 300gb HDD that came in it. I use the Desktop HDD for games and storage, and do most of my school work on my laptop.

240GB Intel 520 SSD - Reason: one of the best preforming dives and the reliability and reputation of Intel

2TB WD black - Reason: mass storage of games music etc for fast load times

2TB WD green - Reason: back up of SSD and where i record my fraps footage, low power because i only occasionally use it

1TB WD elements portable external HDD - reason: take my uni (collage) work to and from home as well as some movies and stuff

Facebook share from (James Milligan): (https://www.facebook.com/james.milligan.5205/posts/213566125475847)

Desktop 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2GHz Mobo: Asus X99 Strix GPU: 2x Asus Strix 970 RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz, SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, 2x Intel 520 256GB HDD: 2TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx Tempered Glass Monitor: Asus PG278Q, Asus PB278

Laptop 

Spoiler

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 256GB 8GB RAM

Server 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2620 v4 Mobo: Asus X99-A RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) RAID Controller: Adaptec RAID 81605ZQ, HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL HDD: 12x WD 4TB Red Case: Norcotek RPC4224

I'm currently using 120 GB Vertex 3, which has never given me any issues, a 1TB caviar Black for Steam and Origin, a 1TB Caviar Blue for all my other storage and finally a 1TB Passport SE for backups. I can't honestly give a specific reason for the storage setup I went with. This was my first build and I was buying drives with no prior experience. Knowing what I know now I would have done a few things different like passing on the Vertex 3 for a 256 GB Samsung 830 and getting a 2TB Black instead of the 1TB I started with. The Caviar Blue was a short term solution after running out of room on my other drives and needing space for a free copy of Sony Vegas. That being said I am still quite happy with what I have and will apply what I have learned to the gaming rig I will be building for my daughter at Christmas.

Twitter link-https://twitter.com/JohnScottMcPher/status/377955181444341760

HNG community link-http://hng-hangout.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3794#3794

I am using a 60GB OCZ SSD for my boot drive, a 120GB Samsung 840 SSD for my programs and games, a 500GB WD Green for random files and a 2TB WD Green for my media and documents. I wanted to mitigate risk of losing my data so I separated the boot drive, programs and documents. Being risk adverse I wanted to back up everything to a NAS so I started building a NAS which turned into a HTPC where i have another 120GB Samsung 840 SSD and a 3TB Seagate Barracuda hold all my backups and my media. Why? I wanted fast boot times, inexpensive, quick, reliable SSD's for running programs and large capacity HDD's for my storage where I don't necessarily need fast drives. I love redundancy but don't know enough about RAIDs to try RAIDing.

I use an ADATA XPG SX900 256gb ssd for boot and other programs and also have a 1TB WD Black for all the other crap. This was my first PC build so i researched parts for hours and then got them for a fairly good deal on Newegg. Didn't have the money to spend on the samsung pro and i heard the ADATA was pretty good so I got that for $170 and the WD black for $80. Starting to run low on storage so this would really help =S

CPU: i7-3770  CPU Cooler: Zalman LQ-315   Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77   Memory: Avexir Optimized 16gb DDR3 2133   Storage: ADATA XPG  SX900 256gb/WD Black 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker   PSU: Rosewill Lightning 1000w   Mouse: Razer Naga Molten edition   Keyboard: 2013 Razer Blackwidow Stealth edition(cherry mx brown)

Headset: Astro A40   Mousepad: Razer Goliathus control Extended 

Hi,

I have a 64 GB SSD (SANDISK) and a 500GB WD Caviar Blue :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00461G3MS/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I needed SSD for fast boot on windows 8 and 500GB drive for storage. Since the pocket got empty after the purchase, I decided to buy a 2-4 TB drive in future to store mostly my videos and big work files which I bring home sometimes. I don't think that I'll buy a NAS since I still would have two more SATA 6Gb free on the Z87 motherboard. Other hardware:

CPU: Haswell i5-4570

GPU: GTX 660

1. Right now I'm using one 160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA II because when I was building my PC I realized I didn't need a lot of storage for my operating system.  I didn't think I'd use that much storage space b/c I didn't do anything space-intensive.  Now, I've added a 2.5" WD Blue 5400RPM 640GB drive that I picked up as dead at a garage sale and then RMA'd b/c it was still in warranty to my system b/c I'm into photography and videography, which obviously take up space.  I probably need to get at least one more 640GB to run RAID 1, but I just don't have the money (I have other things I want to buy and since mechanical drives have a pretty predictable fail time, I think I'm safe).  I like 2.5" drives because they're super small and convenient.  I just velcro-tape them to my case and that lets me clear out my hard drive cages and put in fans etc.

2. Twitter linkage: https://twitter.com/ZachRWong/status/377959098127380480

I have a 500GB hard drive, and it went by really fast. I had a budget to make my pc and someone had to be dropped. I have little to no storage left and Steam sales are just not helping. Having a 4TB hard drive would be amazing, and I don't have the money to buy one. Thank you.

I use a 1TB WD 7200rpm drive for everything.  Why?  Because I'm too poor for anything else xD.  I plan to save up for an SSD to put windows on for a faster bootup time.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.gadjali/posts/715588471788665

Other: http://www.overclock.net/t/1266342/official-fractal-design-node-304-owners-club/1370#post_20784889

Edited by Some Tech Nub

All of this I got for my mid-ranged gaming setup. I have a 120gb Chronos ssd for fast booting. Then I have a 1tb seagate great cheap reliable drive that I use for all my steam and origin games.  Next i use a 500gb seagate drive I use for storing all my music and finally is a 2.5" 250gb WD drive i pulled out of my laptop when it died because i have nothing else to run it off of.  The consistency among drives and reliability would be nice but its just too plain expensive.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

Right now I've just got a Samsung 830 64 gb with the OS and Starcraft 2 on it because I'm too broke to get a hdd right now xD

I'm using 2.5-inch Samsung 250gb 5400 rpm HDD, that I salvaged from my old laptop. The only reason I'm using this is because I was constrained by my budget during the build (tax, assembly fees, etc etc) added up so quick that I ended up with this old, slow, noisy HDD,. This is my first PC ever and I guess I have not saved up enough for it. Hope I will win though. Good luck guys  ;) Thank you so much for the awesome giveaway Linus and Western Digital.

P/S: I'm running the drive up side down in my case without mounting bracket (did not come with my case) and a folded tissue underneath to minimize vibration ~~. It's a struggle.

My current storage configuration is:

WD 320GB Caviar Blue (Boot Driver + Applications + a partition for some storage)

WD 1GB Caviar Green (Storage)

Samsung SpinPoint f3 1TB (Some Storage + Steam + Origin + uPLAY)

Why?

I don't have the money for an SSD nor more drivers. That's the true reason why I use this configuration. Everything is MORE friggin expensinve in my country. So, yeah.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cristian.merola.165/posts/10153245696575052 (Cristian Merola)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MerolaC/status/377960342782881794 (@MerolaC)

Thanks a lot for this opportunity!

BTW, I love your channel Linus, you rock man. Seriously, keep doing what you are doing, because you do it great!

1. In my desktop I am running a 250gb Western digital Velociraptr for my OS and games, then I have a 1TB Western Digital Blue for all my storage. I want to upgrade my Velociraptr but I am also running out of storage. 

2.Facebook (Jonathan Eddy) https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.eddy2/posts/10200347846410617

3. Twitter @J_Eddy https://twitter.com/J__Eddy/status/377962091857977344

I used to do everything--movie/music/photo storage, gaming, movie watching, music listening, graphic design--on one computer using a bunch of smaller drives (internal and external) and one WD green 1TB drive for mass storage. Well, all those drives are full, none of the data is backed up and I want to be able to watch a movie or stream music to my phone all while I'm playing a game, or even when I have to reboot my machine.

So I repurposed two older machines I had on hand: a Pentium 4 Dell is now my media PC using Geexbox Linux and a single core AMD Sempron custom machine is in the process of becoming a combination NAS and media/web server using Ubuntu server edition.

The server was cheap (i.e. free) and is just waiting for a RAID card and drives to realize it's true purpose. 4TB WD reds would be the perfect expansion for my storage needs.

Once that is complete, my main computer can focus all it's flops and bytes on gaming and graphic design. (Though I could use one more computer just for graphic design...)

well right now my drive setup is 1x intel 520 series 120gb SSD for my OS and other programs 2x western digital VelociRaptor 74gb refurbished drives i bought on sale and used for my OS drives in RAID 0 but now are being used for my steam drives for games 1x Hitachi 500gb drive that i cared over from an older build that im using for a media drive and a Western Digital 1tb my book external drive for my backups that ive had for over 5 years but that is my storage config 

i am running a wd 500gb(dunno which one used to be external) and a 125gb.from my older build.both r kinda old :P.i am with them cause i am kinda broke and am going to upgrade my pc in the future (motherboard,ram,cpu)so no money for new hard drive

I currently have a 120gb Samsung 840 for a boot drive and a 1tb WD Caviar Black for storing games and other stuff. I chose this setup because I can be a speed freak and a high performance hard drive for storage is the next best thing instead of a larger SSD. I currently don't have a backup because I can't afford one. 

I run an OCZ 60 gb ssd and a Seagate 1tb HDD. I already had the seagate drive from my old pc so when I build my new one I also threw in the ssd because it would make the startup times shorter.

I am running 1 320gb seagate barracuda and a 250gb WD caviar se for storage. I need some more space. I use this because i got both of those drives for free from dead computers.

In my main system, I have 2x 120 Gb Intel 520 SSD's in RAID 0 as my bootdrive to try and get the best possible performance. Another older 60GB OCZ drive for storing my main VHD (virtual hard drives) on, when running test-environments in vmware. 2x 1Tb Western Digital Blue drives for data backup (previous vmware virtual environment setups) and 2x 2Tb Western Digital green drives for general data (movies, music, software, etc). 1x 1Tb Western Digital USB 3.0 mybook drive for sharing these setups with colleagues and my boss (also my mentor) for confirmation and troubleshooting. (no he does not fix my mistakes, just points me in the right direction :) ). 1x USB 2.0 500 Gb external drive with older data (mainly pictures/movies/music), 2x USB 2.0 1Tb wd drives which I no longer use.

In my primary server (dell poweredge 2900)  there are 3 seagate cheetah scsi drives 15K 146Gb in raid 5 as boot drive, which is used for as a hyper-v server. drives are as such setup to have both the performance and the safeguard.

In my secondary server (dell poweredge 2650), the same seagate cheetah drives as in place, yet only 2 in raid 0 as I barely use it anymore. yet I do require performance, even on on older RHLE OS.

In my laptop, there is only a 120GB SSD because .... well, why would I ever still want to boot off a mechanical HD on a workstation ;p.

Running Kingston V300 120GB SSD and WD Caviar Green 1TB

I currently use a wd green because my wd black died.

I am running a 160gb hitachi hdd 7200rpm right now.

i had a 500gb that died on me and cant afford a new one anyways.

my setup

cpu - x6 phenom II 1045t

gpu - asus gtx 460 768mb top edition

psu - 550 watt antec true power 2.0

ram - 8gb stick of kingston hyper x red plus a 4gb corsair vengence ram stick - 12gigs total

mb - msi 760gm p23(fx) 

hdd - 160gb hitachi 7200rpm

i could use a new fast hdd mines old and worn out.

thanks matt.