New PSU for current system

1Revenger1
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

For measuring voltage, I've been using programs like HWMonitor, CPU-z, Asus AI-Suite, and aida-64.

Have you tried changing your Load-line Calibration setting? Raising it should lower the voltage bump.

Hi, so I recently got a new system in the past few months, and I did one of the worst things you could probably do and kind of cheap out on the power supply. The computer was a prebuilt from CyberPower(I wanted to assemble it myself, but my parents wouldn't let me). The current specs are an Intel I5 6600k, Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Adata XPG ram (2133 2x4GB), with a GTX 970 Twin frozer from MSI. Future plans include an additional GTX 970 in the future, when I need it.

The problem is that I currently have an EVGA 600b, and I recently tried overclocking my CPU (I play a lot of games like Cities Skylines and Flight sim which are very CPU based).

Every time I did, I would notice my voltage, even on manual, would go about 0.05 volts above what I set. IE, I set 1.325 volts, and I get 1.38 volts sometimes. I am asking  Another question I have is could it be the motherboard? If it isn't, would it be the PSU, and if so, what would be a good PSU for this system around the 100-120, (maybe... 150$) USD range? I've already tried to do some research, and looking through the how many watts do I need posts, it seems like 750-850 watts is plenty to include the second card in the future. I also see brands like EVGA (obviously not the line I have right now :P) and PSUs from corsair, seasonic, and XFX are also pretty good.

Thanks!

1Revenger1

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

SeaSonic or XFX.

That voltage change is normal.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

SeaSonic or XFX.

That voltage change is normal.

Alright, thanks. Any series you recommend from them?

Also, is that 0.05 difference normal even when using the manual voltage control? I know that the voltage can go over, especially during stress tests, but that still does seem kind of like a lot in my opinion.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

That has nothing to do with the psu and your current psu is fine. 

What software are you using to measure the voltage?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Alright, thanks. Any series you recommend from them?

Also, is that 0.05 difference normal even when using the manual voltage control? I know that the voltage can go over, especially during stress tests, but that still does seem kind of like a lot in my opinion.

Anything from those two is what I keep hearing. EVGA G2/GS are both great as well.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

That has nothing to do with the psu and your current psu is fine.

What software are you using to measure the voltage?

For measuring voltage, I've been using programs like HWMonitor, CPU-z, Asus AI-Suite, and aida-64.

So what I have been hearing, voltage going over this much is usually fine? I've seen it usually spike over, but not as drastically during game play as well.

Have you tried changing your Load-line Calibration setting? Raising it should lower the voltage bump.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I can try looking for it. I remember trying to look for it a month or two ago, but I couldn't find it. Where would it be for the Asus bios?

I can try looking for it. I remember trying to look for it a month or two ago, but I couldn't find it. Where would it be for the Asus bios?

In Advanced Mode, it should be under Ai Tweaker.

In Advanced Mode, it should be under Ai Tweaker.

Just took a quick peak there, I wasn't able to find anything. I am going to look through the manual though, I'll probably have to respond tomorrow though. Wasn't expecting so many responses so quick :P. Thanks guys for the help so far.

Edit: I found the load line calibration. It was in a weird place under the digi vrm settings. Either way, I'll have to mess with them tomorrow. I remember getting 4.6 ghz stable with 1.325 volts, so I'll have to try that again. For the llc, does it work even when under adaptive voltage mode?

Well from corsair you can get RMi or RMx series basically difference is that i series get software for monitoring psu and somewhere I read it also gets better fan. As far as I read reviews where good on these psu's. 

As for oc 4,5 or 4,6 is best for something like 6600K anyways monitor your temps too because getting higher dont give much performance if your temps rise.

Well from corsair you can get RMi or RMx series basically difference is that i series get software for monitoring psu and somewhere I read it also gets better fan. As far as I read reviews where good on these psu's. 

As for oc 4,5 or 4,6 is best for something like 6600K anyways monitor your temps too because getting higher dont give much performance if your temps rise.

Yeah, I understand that 4.6 is like the best, it was just I was worried about the voltage going over. I have an antec 550LC water cooler on it, and it kept the cpu cool even during benchmarks when I tried to overclock it earlier. Thanks for the recommendation.

I just realized I am busy today so I can't mess with the overclock until late tonight or tomorrow.

+1 vote for the EVGA G2 line.  I have one myself that I picked up due to all the fabulous reviews out there, and I love it so far.  Corsair and Seasonic PSUs are usually safe picks as well.

But yeah, I would exhaust all possibilities on your existing PSU before buying another one. 

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

Future plans include an additional GTX 970 in the future, when I need it.

Save your money. Even SLI 970s can be handled by your current PSU.

GTX-970-SLI-79.jpg

And these tests are with a 4930K (130W TDP stock) overclocked to 4.7GHz, which is about as power hungry as a real-world CPU is going to get.

"Rawr XD"

Save your money. Even SLI 970s can be handled by your current PSU.

GTX-970-SLI-79.jpg

And these tests are with a 4930K (130W TDP stock) overclocked to 4.7GHz, which is about as power hungry as a real-world CPU is going to get.

Wow, good to know. Thanks, really puts into perspective how much power computers really need, or really dont need.

It was actually lowering Load-Line Calibration I think. I have to mess around with it a little more, but I set it to level 5, and my voltage is rock solid at around 1.328-1.344 volts underload with aida64.

Thanks for everyone's help, there are always those little things that you learn about everyday :P.

Edit: Haha... after lowering it to level 4, I made it go down to 1.312-1.328 volts...It seems stable under Aida 64 though so I may keep it. It honestly won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things though so if I see instability I'll probably go to level 5 again.