r9 290 vs r9 390

3h_g453

What exactly is the performance difference between the r9 290 and r9 390? isn't the 390 a glorified 290? is it noticeably better?

The 390 is like the 290X with some minor upgrades. So yeah, better than the 290 by quite a bit.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Had them both, they perform exactly the same at the same clock speeds. In fact my 290 Overclocked better. Both were Sapphires

If anyone asks you never saw me.

290<290X=970<390.

It's going to perform better under most circumstances I would assume. You're also going to be getting a nice 8GB of VRAM with it as well, so that's always helpful. The people that say the 390 is a 290X with a new name are just idiots. If it was really the same the vast majority of people on this forum wouldn't recommend the 390 over the 970.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

The 390 is like the 290X with some minor upgrades. So yeah, better than the 290 by quite a bit.

A 390 is a 290 with higher clock speed and more VRAM. It will perform better than a 290, but a bit worse than a 290X in most games.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Just keep in mind, newer is better. 

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

What exactly is the performance difference between the r9 290 and r9 390? isn't the 390 a glorified 290? is it noticeably better?

yeah the 390 is bit better. sometimes the same, but most of the time bit better.

All depends on the price you can get it for :)

im not sure if its due to drivers or something, but i needed to oc my 290 quite bit(higher than 390 stock) to reach the same performance as a stock 390.

Maybe its cause of the ram. maybe its something else. either way.

380/390 is the sweet spot for new gpu.

290 is the king of used gpu.

noticiblibelebey better i think

The 300 series is the biggest disappointment for GPUS in 2015. Almost no difference in the 390 besides the way higher price. Id go for the 290 if you don't need 8 gigs of Vram and lets be honest who the heck does. 

The 300 series is the biggest disappointment for GPUS in 2015. Almost no difference in the 390 besides the way higher price. Id go for the 290 if you don't need 8 gigs of Vram and lets be honest who the heck does.

Seeing as just black ops 3 at 1440p requests 6.2GB of VRAM from my 390, I'd say some people do. Not to mention the "extra textures" option is hidden if you have 4GB or less of VRAM.

Found that out after buying a Fury X, then selling it and putting my 390 back into my system.

Seeing as just black ops 3 at 1440p requests 6.2GB of VRAM from my 390, I'd say some people do. Not to mention the "extra textures" option is hidden if you have 4GB or less of VRAM.

Found that out after buying a Fury X, then selling it and putting my 390 back into my system.

But we've been over that games use the VRAM you have. I jumped up a full g of VRAM usage when I switched from my 290 to a 980ti with no other changes.

But we've been over that games use the VRAM you have. I jumped up a full g of VRAM usage when I switched from my 290 to a 980ti with no other changes.

The main thing I'm getting at is that just black ops 3 hides features if you have 4GB or less of VRAM.

Whether or not the game actually uses the vram or not, in my opinion it's much better to go ahead and upgrade to a 390 vs buying a 290. Yeah it's a bit more expensive but you're also getting double the vram that could be useful. Unless the OP wants to buy a 290 and upgrade in a few months.

The main thing I'm getting at is that just black ops 3 hides features if you have 4GB or less of VRAM.

Whether or not the game actually uses the vram or not, in my opinion it's much better to go ahead and upgrade to a 390 vs buying a 290. Yeah it's a bit more expensive but you're also getting double the vram that could be useful. Unless the OP wants to buy a 290 and upgrade in a few months.

Wait, if you have 4g it hides the option? I thought a 290 could use it?

Wait, if you have 4g it hides the option? I thought a 290 could use it?

If you have 4GB or less of VRAM, it hides the option to choose "extra" texture quality. It only allows you to choose high.

I popped my 390 back into the system and the "Extra" texture quality option reappears.

If you have 4GB or less of VRAM, it hides the option to choose "extra" texture quality. It only allows you to choose high.

I popped my 390 back into the system and the "Extra" texture quality option reappears.

No fucking shit. Good to know. Yeah that's a reason to pick the 390 right there.

No fucking shit. Good to know. Yeah that's a reason to pick the 390 right there.

Yeah, I actually sold my Fury X and decided to keep my 390 lol.

The extra textures actually made a huge visual difference.

In black ops 3 with everything maxed at 1440p I average 80fps. So I figured id stick with my 390 and just crossfire anlther 390 in.

Also, looking on newegg it seems the 390 and 290 are almost similar in price. I'd highly recommend the 390, just my personal opinion.

Also, looking on newegg it seems the 390 and 290 are almost similar in price. I'd highly recommend the 390, just my personal opinion.

Yeah if you want a 290 and don't want to know the color of your socks you have to go used. You can usually get a good one for around 200us.

Yeah if you want a 290 and don't want to know the color of your socks you have to go used. You can usually get a good one for around 200us.

Never thought about that.

No it's not. It's literally an overclocked 290 with 2x the VRAM. The 290x actually has more cores and TMUs.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

if you're on a budget get a 290, find something used and cheaper. but if you have money to spend get a 390.

I just got a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC and it works perfectly fine, getting 60+ FPS on games I play. It's even paired with an Older i7-2600