AM4 - one socket to rule them all

zMeul
Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,

zMeul liking AMD?

What is this blasphemy?

I'm kidding.

EDIT: Repost? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/523014-amd-am4-socket-is-confirmed-for-upcoming-zen-cpus-and-apus-ces-2016/

source: https://techreport.com/news/29577/amd-condenses-its-desktop-platforms-with-socket-am4

CES - We met with AMD at CES this week to discuss the present situation of its desktop CPU lineup and its future plans for its desktop platforms. The company acknowledges that today's platform situation for its desktop CPUs is a somewhat confusing one. The company's Vishera CPUs require Socket AM3+ motherboards, while Kaveri and Godavari APUs need Socket FM2+ boards. Furthermore, Kabini Athlons and Semprons need the AM1 platform.

To remedy all that, AMD revealed some details of its future desktop platform roadmap. The company's next-generation CPUs, called "Summit Ridge," and next-gen APUs, called "Bristol Ridge," will both use a single socket called AM4. AMD was tight-lipped about any details of these products beyond their code names and shared socket.

---

this is one move from AMD that I applaud

in contrast, Intel went with a whole bunch of sockets that frankly can hinder future upgrades

what I also like is that AMD will deliver simple CPUs, without integrated graphics, alongside APUs

this is another caveat I have with Intel's CPU lineup - paying more for something I do not want is not acceptable

maybe some games under DX12 will find a use for IGPs, but I don't see developers actually investing in this - there are a few aspects on rendering where the IGP can handle the GUI, for example, where the main video card will handle everything else

zMeul liking AMD?

What is this blasphemy?

I'm kidding.

EDIT: Repost? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/523014-amd-am4-socket-is-confirmed-for-upcoming-zen-cpus-and-apus-ces-2016/

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Good call AMD.
If only they would move away from pin design. It makes their CPUs much more fragile. I'm so much more anxious when holding an AMD CPU 

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

i don't get why AMD hasn't moved away from PGA, while it's more durable and it's easier to bend back a pin, than on a LGA socket, it just looks so 90's, but one thing which would be astounding would be if AMD takes up intel's mainstream hole spacing so you wouldn't need separate mounting hardware.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

i don't get why AMD hasn't moved away from PGA, while it's more durable and it's easier to bend back a pin, than on a LGA socket, it just looks so 90's, but one thing which would be astounding would be if AMD takes up intel's mainstream hole spacing so you wouldn't need separate mounting hardware.

Surely intel would patent the hole spacing for the cooler?

Surely intel would patent the hole spacing for the cooler?

No. Intel isn't nearly that level of a patent troll.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd