8350 - i7 - or i5

Kyle2278

Hey,

Im looking at upgrading my computer soon and wanted to have your ideas on what CPU to get. I will be using it mostly for games but will also edit photos and a few videos on it. What would you go with for a $1500 - $2500 total price range? Are the 'i' series worth the extra money for the processor and mobo etc.

Thanks heaps

Moved post the here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/52699-upgrading-existing-computer-advice/

Since you're mainly gaming and doing what I'm guessing is light editing the 8350 or something like an i5 4670k would be a fine suite (depending on which platform you prefer), the i7 will speed up your renders quite a bit but will also cost you a good 100$ extra.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

8350, it is great for gaming and it is also  great for editing too. :)

Is that the best AMD processor? I have never looked at AMD much and was just told that one was good

Is that the best AMD processor? I have never looked at AMD much and was just told that one was good

It is best for buck, there is FX-9000 series processors, but they are just OC:d 8350:s :)

Since you're mainly gaming and doing what I'm guessing is light editing the 8350 or something like an i5 4670k would be a fine suite (depending on which platform you prefer), the i7 will speed up your renders quite a bit but will also cost you a good 100$ extra.

Thanks would the i5 compared to the 8350 be much cost difference?

It is best for buck, there is FX-9000 series processors, but they are just OC:d 8350:s :)

Ok thanks heaps

Thanks would the i5 compared to the 8350 be much cost difference?

It really depends on what you're looking for. In single core performance the i5 completely destroys an 8350, though if you the program is well optimized for multiple cores then the 8350 will pull ahead.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

It really depends on what you're looking for. In single core performance the i5 completely destroys an 8350, though if you the program is well optimized for multiple cores then the 8350 will pull ahead.

Ok thanks is the i5 much more expensive though? sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help

Ok thanks is the i5 much more expensive though? sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help

Well you don't really need me to answer that, depends on where you're buying, but on amazon:

4670k http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8TBOW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17EWR17QYCFKNJHRT1AB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

8350 http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-FX-Series-Edition/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378186042&sr=8-1&keywords=8350

Don't make separate topics for each part. Just make a topic for your build in the New Builds and Planning section.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Don't make separate topics for each part. Just make a topic for your build in the New Builds and Planning section.

alright thanks will do next time

Intel

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

4570k, because in the long run it is cheaper (power efficeny!)

If you render a lot even a 4770k might break even ...

Even in multi-threaded applications the 4570k blows the 8350 away ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Well 3750k exchanges blows with 8350

But 4670k has a 5-10% increase over the 3570k so......

I would go 4670k if you already have a Z87 mobo.

If you already have an AMD mobo, get the 8350.

Firstly: You just don't need that kind of power. - If you gonna game 80-90% of the time, and use it  for "light" rendering on a weekly basis get an i5, which is sill a monster in it's own right, with a good board, MSI z87-gd65 is a helluva board on the cheap for what it brings. 8350 is a good processor, but these days it seems to be the go to answer to every question on this forum.

Secondly, this is a third thread with the exact same question just today, search before you ask.

EDIT: Also, this:

Well 3750k exchanges blows with 8350

But 4670k has a 5-10% increase over the 3570k so......

I would go 4670k if you already have a Z87 mobo.

If you already have an AMD mobo, get the 8350.

- that's what I was trying to say...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.