Why is Java so much harder to learn?

legend8887

I'm in a beginning computer science class at school and we are learning Java. I'm really struggling with it and the first and only language we are learning in Java. Well I researched it and everyone I looked it said Java was one of the hardest languages to learn. Is this true or am I just not good at programming?

Why on earth would you start with java.

You should have taken a c# class first, it helps to lay out the fundamentals far better, and gets you into thinking in that same logical progression way you need to for coding.

And the reason java is hard, is cuz java is shit. It's one of the most haphazard coding languages out there.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

All programming languages are different, Its down to the person really, 

Do you think Logically? If so, It'll naturally be easier.

because its coded like crap

ask any professional programmer

its very unintuitive and overcomplicated compared to other languages

but many years ago it was chosen as the main language by some large corporation and now its used everywhere even though it sucks

http://tech.jonathangardner.net/wiki/Why_Java_Sucks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm in a beginning computer science class at school and we are learning Java. I'm really struggling with it and the first and only language we are learning in Java. Well I researched it and everyone I looked it said Java was one of the hardest languages to learn. Is this true or am I just not good at programming?

I mean, I did not think that Java was difficult, but i had experience in C# before that. (very similar language)

Perhaps Object Oriented just isnt for you.

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

You should have taken a c# class first, it helps to lay out the fundamentals far better, and gets you into thinking in that same logical progression way you need to for coding.

And the reason java is hard, is cuz java is shit. It's one of the most haphazard coding languages out there.

While I agree that C#>Java, I would think that Java is easier to learn because you do not have to deal pointers and things like that. Java has less in it, does it not?

Also Java is the least resource-efficient language I have ever had the displeasure of programming in

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I didn't have a choice. It was this class or no computer science.

same for me. The attention to detail is key when it comes to java. semicolon here, misspelled variable here wrong symbol there is basically the first few weeks of java for me. Now it's so easy to learn other languages like python or arduino code because you've developed the eye for detail and because of repetition. 

it is a little confusing. Im taking a beginners Java course right now, and having some troubles. I have had some nice people help me out in the Programming section though, if your having trouble with something specific im sure some people would be willing to help you out.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

because its coded like crap

ask any professional programmer

its very unintuitive and overcomplicated compared to other languages

but many years ago it was chosen as the main language by some large corporation and now its used everywhere even though it sucks

http://tech.jonathangardner.net/wiki/Why_Java_Sucks

Why. My prog teacher, who is a proffesional, he does all kinds of programs ays Java is the best and all.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would recommend learning something like Python first but I understand you're in a class so you probably have to focus in on Java. Ask your teacher questions, do tons of research and most importantly start a personal project. If anything will help it is starting a personal project, you will run into so many issues that will force you to research and it'll make you a much better programmer.

While I agree that C#>Java, I would think that Java is easier to learn because you do not have to deal pointers and things like that. Java has less in it, does it not?

Also Java is the least resource-efficient language I have ever had the displeasure of programming in

java resource efficient... rofl...

print("Easiest starting language imo is Lua, very simple, based on c# but with much easier threads and strings.")

end

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Easiest starting language imo is Lua, very simple, based on c# but with much easier threads and strings.

Lua is not one i know, it isnt OO is it?

Never had issues with strings myself, and for entry level, threads do not matter much. 

Solitaire. 

You'll get used to it. Try finding simple problem over the internet and solving them through java. Once you get the hang of creating algorithms and understanding the logic, any programming language should be easy. They all use the same concept (OOP), the difference is just the syntax. 

Keep practicing, try solving easy problems first like, a basic calculator program, then find at least 3 algorithm to solve that. Also try using IDE's at first that can help you fix syntax and find run-time or compile errors and try to understand these errors. If you can't do a step, google it :)

Good luck (Y)

I think you misread the person's post, maybe.

Why. My prog teacher, who is a proffesional, he does all kinds of programs ays Java is the best and all.

there are a ton of reasons why it sucks, a few which are in that link i posted which you obviously didnt read

and that probably his personal opinion if all he has used is java

my programming teacher, who knows linus torvalds, also claims that java is bad compared to other languages

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What exactly are you having difficulty with regarding Java specifically?

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

What exactly are you having difficulty with regarding Java specifically?

Fundamentals

print("Easiest starting language imo is Lua, very simple, based on c# but with much easier threads and strings.")

end

You're letting your rage towards Java cloud your readability. 

He said that Java is NOT resource friendly. 

I personally like Java. 

Fundamentals

Throw some examples down here. Maybe we can help you out.

Fundamentals

As in object oriented concepts? If it makes you feel any better, once you get these (you will don't worry) it applies to more than Java. So it's not really the language or syntax that you have trouble with; which is normal at first.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Java's object oriented style and strong types are what make it different from newer languages. No, it is not the most efficient out there. But it will teach you a lot and if you just bear with it learning other languages in the future will be easier. 

And I wouldn't call java "shit". That's just plain rude to the people who spent a lot of time making it. It can do a lot of powerful things and is a jack of all trades. Not the best for basically everything now a days, but definitely not "shit". 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

And yes, it is hard to learn. Anything that makes you think in a different style then what you're used to will be hard at first. Solving problems and thinking in terms of objects can be difficult, that and recursive functions are really hard when you start learning Java. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

there are a ton of reasons why it sucks, a few which are in that link i posted which you obviously didnt read

and that probably his personal opinion if all he has used is java

my programming teacher, who knows linus torvalds, also claims that java is bad compared to other languages

Don't worry, I did read it. I'm just writing what he said, it's like funny cause we all praise him and say he likes Java so much but everyone says it's bad.

My teacher was also super fan of Linus over Windows. 

Don't worry, I did read it. I'm just writing what he said, it's like funny cause we all praise him and say he likes Java so much but everyone says it's bad.

My teacher was also super fan of Linus over Windows. 

You mean linux, right?

Same with my teacher

pretty much every programmer loves linux :P

Spoiler

am I just not good at programming?

Learning to program in any language can be difficult but that doesn't mean you won't get it with some time and effort. Java is far from impossible to learn as your first language so stick with it.

If you find it hard to learn from the class lectures alone, then perhaps you can use other resources to help. There are so many tutorials (both written and video) and books for teaching beginners Java.

Java Tutorial For Complete Beginners is a frequently recommend video course.

Head First Java is a frequently recommended beginner book.

Tutorials Point can be a useful reference.

We're also here to help when you get stuck on something.