How do you use displayport

Grim187

I've never used display port before.

I just got a Asus VG248 (first monitor I've had with a dp), a cheap ebay 6' dp cable, a ebay dp to vga adapter, a pny GTX 660ti, a XFX R9 390, and none of it works with dp.

So im wondering if there is something that i have to do to get the windows to recognize the monitor or if i just have a bad dp cable and those dp to vga converters don't work.

edit: VG248*

DP does not adapt to VGA passively. If the monitor has DisplayPort, use a DP to DP cable.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I think you need an active one. I have a mini dp to dvi cable and its passive.

I think you need an active one. I have a mini dp to dvi cable and its passive.

Right, because DP can output DVI signals. DP cannot output VGA signals.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I have a DP to VGA and it works great

It's probably active. The OP may be using a passive solution.

I'm pretty sure its active, I wouldn't have bought it if i thought it was passive. do they even make passive dp to vga converters?

post-299064-0-83937800-1452646240_thumb.

I'm pretty sure its active, I wouldn't have bought it if i thought it was passive. do they even make passive dp to vga converters?

They probably exist as a money-grabber, but they're not possible because DP is only digital and VGA is analog. Yours looks active.

so i don't think both this and the dp male to dp male cable are dead, is there something with the software or cards that could be the problem?

They probably exist as a money-grabber, but they're not possible because DP is only digital and VGA is analog. Yours looks active.

Oddly enough, DisplayPort can output VGA signals as well, similar to DVI-I. Passive adapters do exist and work from DP to VGA.

Oddly enough, DisplayPort can output VGA signals as well, similar to DVI-I. Passive adapters do exist and work from DP to VGA.

Whether or not this is wrong, this page says otherwise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Overview

I don't suppose you have a source, perhaps a better one than I have chosen.

Whether or not this is wrong, this page says otherwise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Overview

I don't suppose you have a source, perhaps a better one than I have chosen.

AFAIK DisplayPort was designed to be backwards compatible with VGA, so the DP controller can output a sort of RGB signal pre-formatted to the pinout of VGA, though still digital. From there it just needs to be run through an inexpensive DAC in the cable for the final conversion to analog. While some might consider that "active" conversion, there's no signal processing involved as the main conversion is done beforehand as with other passive adapters, and the actual adapters don't really cost any more than any other type of adapter cable, so I consider it to be passive.

I don't have confirmation on this though so I could be wrong. Regardless, I've used a $10 DP to VGA cable with no converter box and no super-thick connectors, with an R9 290 which doesn't even have native VGA support, and it works fine.

I don't have confirmation on this though so I could be wrong. Regardless, I've used a $10 DP to VGA cable with no converter box and no super-thick connectors, with an R9 290 which doesn't even have native VGA support, and it works fine.

Real usability is pretty good evidence.

I've never used display port before.

I just got a Asus UG242 (first monitor I've had with a dp), a cheap ebay 6' dp cable, a ebay dp to vga adapter, a pny GTX 660ti, a XFX R9 390, and none of it works with dp.

So im wondering if there is something that i have to do to get the windows to recognize the monitor or if i just have a bad dp cable and those dp to vga converters don't work.

I have had 3 Dell U2412M connected via the three dport cables available on my then Palit 760, then my Palit 980ti. they are sometimes misbehaved that i have to remove the dport cable from the rear, and then reinsert to have it available. after which i realized that uninstalling from device manager, and refresh does the same thing.

i would generally avoid using adapters when you dont need to use them. i would borrow another dport ready monitor and a confirmed working cable, and try that out. it might be a monitor problem, even if it insnt would be good to rule that out.

I consider DAC to be active.

I have confirmed HDMI and DVI-D on the monitor work and I know VGA on the other monitor works.

I don't have a friend with a DP monitor or cable.

I've tried unplugging the monitor from the wall, waiting 30 sec and plugging it back in as I read on google that usually works. (it dident, I've tried it a bunch of times)

so as far as windows detection go's dp is no different than dvi?

I consider DAC to be active.

I have confirmed HDMI and DVI-D on the monitor work and I know VGA on the other monitor works.

I don't have a friend with a DP monitor or cable.

I've tried unplugging the monitor from the wall, waiting 30 sec and plugging it back in as I read on google that usually works. (it dident, I've tried it a bunch of times)

so as far as windows detection go's dp is no different than dvi?

Yes, no different than DVI. I think it's likely your DP to VGA converter is just not functional. I'd advise picking up a DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI cable, or use a straight DVI or HDMI connection if you already have cables for those.

Yes, no different than DVI. I think it's likely your DP to VGA converter is just not functional. I'd advise picking up a DisplayPort to DVI or HDMI cable, or use a straight DVI or HDMI connection if you already have cables for those.

but what about the 6' dp male to dp male?

shouldn't that work?

edit: i guess i could pin test it.

edit 2: I dident have it plugged in to the monitor all the way.