Windows 8 missing XP comparability mode after fresh install (Autodesk products problem)

Hunter1428

Hi all

So this all started because of Autodesk Mudbox 2012-2013-2014. After installing it worked great until I restarted my PC then I get a silly common error of a crash on start up. I have followed every guide on trying to fix this and no luck. So I had to fresh install Windows 8.

Note: I have tried refresh and does nothing coursed more problems as I have my games and programs on separate drives and is a pain to fix.

Fresh install attempt 1

So I fresh installed windows 8 and instantly installed and my drivers and made sure they where all up to date. I then download muxbox 2012-2013 and tried to install got a common error for missing a file. So to get around I have to launch the setup in Windows xp service pack 3 compatibility mode to work. Boom that worked great got it working. Restart pc, try to load up again mudbox crash on startup.

Fresh install attempt 2

Driver...Mudbox download and 3ds max which I have never had any problems with. Mudbox and 3dx max now need Windows Xp service pack 3 to start setup. After install both work fine. Restart pc mudbox crash on startup 3dx max working fine. Also find out that I cannot uninstall any autodesk products. Keep getting the windows message "Did this program uninstall correctly".

Fresh install attempt 3

Driver...Mudbox...3ds max...Xp compatibility mode.... All works fine, still cannot uninstall still get same windows message "Did this program uninstall correctly". Restart pc WHAT! it all works no crash on mudbox :D

for a couple of days after every startup I would check all autodesk products worked and they did, still could not uninstall any but not bothered as I need them so...

1-2 months later

Not used mudbox for a good 2-4 weeks. Mudbox loads and boom crash :( W*F

Check that its still in xp compatibility mode. ERRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT! wher dit go! List only contains vista, vista sp1-2 and windows 7 also cannot use settings tab for lower rez and all that (all greyed out)

My mind is blown completely did someone rob my pc and mess it up and return it!

Fed up of install all my games over and over again oh and don't forget OS.

I have to get this fixed within 3-4 weeks as I go back to uni and need this for my course!

Please guys help me! :D :D :D

Wow. I have never seen this. Why would settings appear and disappear on it own.

I am getting the trial version to give it a spin on my side. I'll get back to you

KK thanks for the reply. It seems that its only effecting my C: Drive not my other 2 drives. Very strange... But I have managed to just recently get my Autodesk stuff back up and running. Mudbox is working for now!

Awesome! 'cause AutoDesk servers are super slow.. only 15MB out of 647MB all this time. i was going nuts. Either they have some serious problem, or still on 56K modems.

It is strange that it didnt' like C:\ drive. My guess is that it wanted administrative write to write where the problem is installed.

Yeah their servers are hit and miss tbf. Mudbox seems to be working fine today, had a problem with the licence key but Autodesk support sorted that out super fast :D Time will tell with Mudbox xD