Windows 8 issue on my dad's laptop (somewhat urgent)

crumbworks

Hey there

My dad just got a new Windows 8 laptop recently, and he's at a hotel now and needs to use it. He was using it just fine at home, no issues.

Now when he went to turn it on at the hotel, it says "Your machine is offline please try to sign in with the last password used on this PC"

I've used Windows 8 before (hated it) and had the same dumb issue - I put in the password for my Microsoft account (my ancient Hotmail account) and it let me in.

However, he has never logged in with any Microsoft account to that machine -- he doesn't even use any MS services anymore. The 'email address' field it shows on the login screen is his personal domain email, which is linked through Google -- he gave me the password and I was able to log into it from here via Gmail, so he's not putting in the password wrong.

Some others (on other forums) have said they were able to get around this by connecting a CAT5 cable, but he can't do that at the hotel.

Anyone know what can be done? He needs to get access to his machine...

~ Chris

Core i5 750 | 8GB DDR3 | R9 270X | Intel 520 SSD | ASUS 24" 1920x1080

Windows 8 has 2 types of accounts; Local and Microsoft Account. It was explained when you setup the system for the first time (reading helps :) ).

• A Microsoft Account, uses the account password you have for the Microsoft service account you enter (Hotmail, Live, XBox, etc.), and allows you to sync account settings between systems, purchased apps from the app store, and uses the same account for all Microsoft apps that requires it (XBox Music, Video, etc.), and files (Win8.1).
  • A Local account, is a traditional account, where you have none of the above.

You can switch between them any time under PC Settings. Do Win+I, select Change PC Settings. Then go under Users, and click on Change to Local Account, button.

But for now:

For Microsoft Account, Windows encrypts and caches the password. This way if you have no internet, you can login. However, if you change the password and didn't logoff and log back in of the system, the old password is what is cached. So he needs to use the old password he had. His best bet is to plug it via Ethernet, and try to login with the new password.

If he forgot his password, then I am afraid he needs to re-install Windows, much like if you forget your Local account password on your system at home.

To re-install Windows 8 without effecting your personal files (new), but programs needs to be reinstalled, is to:

1. Press the Power button on the login screen.
  2. Press and Hold continuously the Shift key on the keyboard, and click on Restart.
  3. Then when it will restart, it will get to special screen instead of the Windows login screen. You can let go the Shift key. On it, Click on Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC, and follow the wizard. DO NOT CLICK ON Reset your PC. This mode WILL DELETE all personal files.

But before doing that, what you can do, is try System Restore option (same screen as above, but go to: Troubleshoot > System Restore), and select a restore point before the new password was changed. And now he can use the old one, once the process is done.

Tell your Dad next time, to not forget his password, he is even lucky as it is that he can have his personal files untouched, let alone not need any disks. If it was Windows 7 or earlier, it would be a full format, and the Windows OS or restoration disk would be required.  (pfft and people complaint that including this was stupid).