x99 single channel 8gb with future upgrades to 16 and then 32gb

Is it a problem to get a single 8gb stick and then buy 1 and then 2 more in future upgrades for 4 identical sticks? Will this not work, so long as I'm careful to buy the exact same sticks?

youll be fine, but honestly buying X99 straight simply means you should able to afford which ever amount of ram you want straight forward...

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

you should be fine though single channel memory wouldnt be as fast as dual and quad channels

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

But if I'm not a "bleeding edge overclocker", the difference should be negligible, right? And once I do add the second stick, and then a dual stick that matches to bring the total to 4x 8gb sticks, I should be able to run at dual channel, then quad channel at the end, right? Or do I completely lose that ability if I don't buy them all at the same time in a dedicated dual or quad channel kit?

Can two identical sticks bought at different times work in dual channel?