Barbed vs Compression

Andooo

I'm looking for any opinions on which is the better option barbed or compression. I know that compression looks better for the extra price but people seem to say that compression fittings are more liable to leak compared to barbed fittings' simple, reliable seal. I want to know if it is worth my extra money for the compression's looks or whether I would be paying for a risk. Thanks.

if you do a compression fitting up properly it shouldn't leak at all

Oh really? I guess people must just use the wrong sizes or something.

wait up...... youre getting at this all wrong. The tubes go over the barbs and then the compression fittings go over them right? Im sure about this....

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

wait up...... youre getting at this all wrong. The tubes go over the barbs and then the compression fittings go over them right? Im sure about this....

a compression fitting is basically a barb fitting that comes with a screw-in clamp. you put the metal "shroud" of sorts onto the tubing, then put the tubing onto the fitting itself, then screw the shroud in.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

a compression fitting is basically a barb fitting that comes with a screw-in clamp. you put the metal "shroud" of sorts onto the tubing, then put the tubing onto the fitting itself, then screw the shroud in.

im so confused......

i may have to rethink my build lol

so you put one half of this into the block, and then put the tubing inside the fitting into the other side?

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-acf-fitting-10-13mm-red

edit : NVM THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!

Yea, i'm pretty sure you cannot use a 'barbed' fitting as a 'compression' fitting as it needs the threading on the tube side. I guess you could say a barbed fitting with a hose clamp is a compression fitting but in my post i mean specifically an advertised compression fitting with the screw in clamp and the threading.

So 

im so confused......

i may have to rethink my build lol

so you put one half of this into the block, and then put the tubing inside the fitting into the other side?

https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-acf-fitting-10-13mm-red

The threaded side goes into your pump/block/rad/reservoir and then the other end is also threaded but it has a barb which you insert into your tube. You then place the clamp over your tube and onto the thread which creates a seal by squeezing your tube between it and the barb. http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/17/2012/09/d_4679.jpg . That image may help.

Never use barbs without clips!

Barbs work better if the tubing goes off at an angle it can cope with some torsional force. Compression fittings under the same circumstances tend to leak. So while both can obviously be leak free barbs are more forgiving.

With compression fittings you will use the 30/45/60 fittings more to ensure tubes come in straight.

Never use barbs without clips!

Barbs work better if the tubing goes off at an angle it can cope with some torsional force. Compression fittings under the same circumstances tend to leak. So while both can obviously be leak free barbs are more forgiving.

With compression fittings you will use the 30/45/60 fittings more to ensure tubes cone in straight.

Do you really need 30/45/60 fittings? I thought the soft tubing would absorb most of the force.

So which ones are better to use barbed or compression? and do I need to put anything around barbed fittings like compression fittings do?

So which ones are better to use barbed or compression? and do I need to put anything around barbed fittings like compression fittings do?

Well i've learned they're both effectively the same only compression fittings look better and are more expensive. Yes you do need to put a hose clamp around the barbed fitting to hold the tube on it. https://shop.ekwb.com/accessories/tubing/tube-clamps

Well i've learned they're both effectively the same only compression fittings look better and are more expensive. Yes you do need to put a hose clamp around the barbed fitting to hold the tube on it. https://shop.ekwb.com/accessories/tubing/tube-clamps

im gonna go compression those hose clamps look janky af, and it looks like the ones you use for gardens not high end hardware

Compression fittings are MUCH better than barbs in my experience. Just make sure to get the correct sizing.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

im gonna go compression those hose clamps look janky af, and it looks like the ones you use for gardens not high end hardware

Yea, my exact thoughts. Hahaahaha.

You gonna watercool that 980ti?

Go with compression fittings. One thing I've found over the years is that no matter the fitting type (if done right) if it wants to get a leak it will get a leak.That being said I can't actually think of having a compression fitting leak on the tubing side. I've had the o-rings start to leak and I have had a barb pop off with a zip tie but that was years ago while I was in high school I believe and was probably running some jank old kit or something I shouldn't have been and I moved the thing around a lot.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

Go with compression fittings. One thing I've found over the years is that no matter the fitting type (if done right) if it wants to get a leak it will get a leak.That being said I can't actually think of having a compression fitting leak on the tubing side. I've had the o-rings start to leak and I have had a barb pop off with a zip tie but that was years ago while I was in high school I believe and was probably running some jank old kit or something I shouldn't have been and I moved the thing around a lot.

Hahahahah. Thats another thing, i do often take my pc to LAN so it's kind of worrying me.

Hahahahah. Thats another thing, i do often take my pc to LAN so it's kind of worrying me.

I would think transportation increases the chances for leaks to form around the fittings due to movement, vibration etc

A lot of barb users in the past used 7/16" inner diameter tubing with 1/2" barbs. They were a pig to get on and off but they basically never leaked because they were so tight. The one time I used compression fittings I had a lot of issues with thick tubing tugging on one side and I would get leaks on the outside of the curve as instead of pushing into the O ring it was pulling away from it. I fixed the problem with rotational fittings to just point it in the right direction.

You get less issues in general with thinner tubing (and its performance impact is small even down at the 8mm/10mm sizing) as it bends easier and pulls less but it just doesn't look as awesome its just more practical. I have found barbs and especially 7/16" tubing on 1/2" barbs to be the least likely to leak but at the same time its harder to put together and take apart and really you ought to just use rotational fittings and point the tubes in the right directions anyway to make building the loop easier anyway.

I nearly always use Bitspower barbs with single wire spring clamps.  Bitspower really stretches the diameter out so tubing fits tight.  Trying out some Koolance compressions in my compute server on the CPU.  We'll see.  I think barbs are easier to work with and cheaper.

Also, I never reuse tubing and I always change o-rings out to thick Viton ones that are bulletproof.  I don't even have to leak test because I know everything is right.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

You gonna watercool that 980ti?

yea