8320 vs 8350 vs 4670k

Go to solution Solved by D3MON,

What cpu should I choose for my new rig? I will use my PC for gaming and general work. 

In my country, the 8320 is 80 dollars cheaper than the 4670k and 50 dollars cheaper than the 8350. 

The 8320 is the sure pick right? However, I have a few questions: 

1) Will my gaming performance suffer(especially with CPU-bound games)? 

2) How high of an overclock would most 8320s reach? (First hand experience would be appreciated) 

sick of the playground fight over the last few pages (and dravic posting reviews of very old drivers doesnt help)

if your ONLY playing games like minecraft, skyrim, world of tanks and other games that are poorly threaded then get the i3, itll be about 10%faster (110fps instead of 100fps)

if your playing those games AND crysis, bf3, bf3, moh warfighter, gta4, gta5 and other mutithreaded games then get the fx8320, because those games use 4 cores (well you can run on 3 and bottleneck on 2) youll get more performance, on each of those games (ommiting gt5) im running around 75% cpu usage give or take...

bearing in mind piledriver is now on par and sometimes surpassing phenom youll have another 2 modules left for recording fraps or streaming at the same time, id pick an 8320 with a decent cooler (hyper 212 evo, be quit dark knight pro, GlacialTech Igloo H58 if itll fit [i really want 1! :(] over an 8350, i dont think theres much if any difference in the binning anymore..

also there is only a small amount of performance to be had from overclocking a cpu (unless your in those poorly threaded games) and practically nothing more to be had over 4.4ghz.

http://www.techspot.com/review/655-bioshock-infinite-performance/page5.html

not much to be gained

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page7.html

not much to be gained.

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html

poorly optimised, likes fast speeds.

with those games like skyrim, minecraft etc i wouldnt worry anyway cus those games usually give you 214235 frames a second anyway/

:-) happy gaming. B)

Since when i7 is meant for server operations? Just get your facts straight, you are arguing that 4 cores + hyper threading is not equivalent of i7.

So what does make i7 being i7? I5 has quad core and everything i7 has, but i7 has hyper threading. That Xeon has everything i7 has, therefore i am free to call it i7 in my own vocabulary.

Stop twisting my words, I never said i7s. I said Xeons. Whatever, just do what you mean. No one will believe a biased source such as you. It's also annoying how you can't admit defeat

Yes, your best bet is an Asus M5A99FX board as it will have all the features you need or may want + it offers best-in-class overclocking results.

Second board I'd recommend is the Gigabyte 990FX UD3, you get 98% of the features on the Asus board + better aesthetics, the sacrifice is slightly lower RAM overclocking results & a slightly more out-dated BIOS layout.

If you're interested in a more budget friendly 970 based board, your best option is the Asus M5A97 R2.0.

At the price point of 990fx you can get i7 and non-OC mobo so nope.avi

m5a97 r2.0 is just 30$ cheaper, that's not really price difference between 990fx and 970.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Since when i7 is meant for server operations? Just get your facts straight, you are arguing that 4 cores + hyper threading is not equivalent of i7.

So what does make i7 being i7? I5 has quad core and everything i7 has, but i7 has hyper threading. That Xeon has everything i7 has, therefore i am free to call it i7 in my own vocabulary.

Mate go fanboy over swifty's rig seeing you believe xeon's to be the be all end all of gaming. You blatantly have no fucking clue what you are on about, your rig specs in your sig tell me you haven't played with modern hardware and tested for yourself, you also refuse to even conduct a proper discussion. Please do yourself a favour and bugger off.

Gaming is on average more gpu intensive than cpu intensive. The few games that are held back by the cpu are quite well known (if people mention those games as their top priority then that changes things) but perhaps the funniest part is your outlandish claims that intel is 50% stronger, World of Warcraft, probably the most cpu restricted game out there and an A8-6600k @ 4ghz only gets beaten by an i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz by 60%... Now just take a moment for that to click through the cogs before you throw a toms hardware benchmark of a flightpath back at me.

You can't rely on what is written only mate it is that simple, for example one of my cars has a listed top speed of 175km/h I can tell you for a fact without red lining 5th gear, stock standard it hits over 190km/h, however in your world that is impossible because the sheet of paper says so.

If you won't conduct proper discussions and bring something meaningful to the table just do us all a favour and piss off, hell I throw that challenge out to the mod team i'll donate another $50 to have your account banned.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

Stop twisting my words, I never said i7s. I said Xeons. Whatever, just do what you mean. No one will believe a biased source such as you. It's also annoying how you can't admit defeat

Is Intel ARK database a biased source for you? I guess so. it speaks to me that Xeon e3-1230v3 is equivalent of i7 but it's cheaper.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75122,75054,65719,65732

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Is Intel ARK database a biased source for you? I guess so. it speaks to me that Xeon e3-1230v3 is equivalent of i7 but it's cheaper.

Can you not notice that the clocks are lower as well. These are not equals. The i7 will win in every benchmark because the zeon runs at lower frequencies.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Lower frequency, not overclockable... yes must be superior.

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Mate go fanboy over swifty's rig seeing you believe xeon's to be the be all end all of gaming. You blatantly have no fucking clue what you are on about, your rig specs in your sig tell me you haven't played with modern hardware and tested for yourself, you also refuse to even conduct a proper discussion. Please do yourself a favour and bugger off.

Gaming is on average more gpu intensive than cpu intensive. The few games that are held back by the cpu are quite well known (if people mention those games as their top priority then that changes things) but perhaps the funniest part is your outlandish claims that intel is 50% stronger, World of Warcraft, probably the most cpu restricted game out there and an A8-6600k @ 4ghz only gets beaten by an i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz by 60%... Now just take a moment for that to click through the cogs before you throw a toms hardware benchmark of a flightpath back at me.

You can't even read what i write, no?

I even repeated myself. Go check what approximately means. Anything from negative numbers to X. I said approximately 50% faster than FX 8350. That means it may be same performance at times.

He didn't test any CPU-bound games. Any heavily scripted game will work better on i5/i7 Intel CPU unless the game is using more than 6 cores (if a game uses 6 cores, AMD CPUs are still slower or the same speed. They start winning at 7 & 8 cores).

I said Intel CPUs are approximately 50% faster than AMD FX 8320/8350 at the start of the thread, you can go and see that i did. See? Do you even know what approximately means?

BTW I am not Intel fanboy.

Lower frequency, not overclockable... yes must be superior.

I never said Xeon e3-1230v3 is faster than equivalent i7. I said it is the same class of a CPU for much much cheaper.  200MHz on turbo is gonna make a difference for you?

You can't even read what i write, no?

I even repeated myself. Go check what approximately means. Anything from negative numbers to X. I said approximately 50% faster than FX 8350. That means it may be same performance at times.

BTW I am not Intel fanboy.

I can read perfectly, however here i'll do you a favour lets test your reading.

ap·prox·i·mate  (schwa.gif-probreve.gifkprime.gifsschwa.gif-mibreve.gift)

adj.
1. Almost exact or correct: the approximate time of the accident.
2. Very similar; closely resembling: sketched an approximate likeness of the suspect.
3. Botany Close together but not united.
v. (-mamacr.giftlprime.gif) ap·prox·i·mat·edap·prox·i·mat·ingap·prox·i·mates
v.tr.
1. To come close to; be nearly the same as: This meat substitute approximates the real thing.
2. To bring near.
3. To bring together, as cut edges of tissue.
v.intr.
To come near or close, as in degree, nature, or quality.

Do you really want to debate what is approximate as well?

I never said Xeon e3-1230v3 is faster than equivalent i7. I said it is the same class of a CPU for much much cheaper.  200MHz on turbo is gonna make a difference for you?

No it wouldn't for me because I wouldn't buy a locked processor, let alone one that was binned for stability even if it meant sacrificing clocks.

You can't rely on what is written only mate it is that simple, for example one of my cars has a listed top speed of 175km/h I can tell you for a fact without red lining 5th gear, stock standard it hits over 190km/h, however in your world that is impossible because the sheet of paper says so.

If you won't conduct proper discussions and bring something meaningful to the table just do us all a favour and piss off, hell I throw that challenge out to the mod team i'll donate another $50 to have your account banned.

THANK YOU good sir. I support your cause!

As a closing statement, there is no such thing as "The Best CPU" but there is such thing as "The Best CPU for YOUR Needs". For example, an Intel Pentium may be the best option for said person if he or she only does web browsing and watching videos. An 8320 will suit the needs of a person who needs more cores but can't afford to pay the premium of an i7 4770k or 3970X. Obviously the 3970X right now gets the job of rendering videos and such the fastest but the premium for it is out of reach for most people and barely anyone maxes all the cores w/o synthetic benchmarks (Edzel/Diesel maxes all the cores LOL). Same applies for GPUs. If you mainly or only game, NVidia is a good option. However if you use Adobe and/or mine Bitcoins, OpenCL on AMD cards will benefit you a lot.

Hence Dravic, go away and don't bother us people who want to have a civilised discussion. Also it is proven that the 8350 beats all, and I mean ALL Intel CPUs in Integer based operations

Dravic is a blight on this forum I can't believe that after all the warnings he wasn't eventually banned.
Personal attacks on the forum are against the rules but somebody has to put a stop to his destructive efforts.

THANK YOU good sir. I support your cause!

As a closing statement, there is no such thing as "The Best CPU" but there is such thing as "The Best CPU for YOUR Needs". For example, an Intel Pentium may be the best option for said person if he or she only does web browsing and watching videos. An 8320 will suit the needs of a person who needs more cores but can't afford to pay the premium of an i7 4770k or 3970X. Obviously the 3970X right now gets the job of rendering videos and such the fastest but the premium for it is out of reach more most people and barely anyone maxes all the cores w/o synthetic benchmarks (Edzel/Diesel maxes all the cores LOL). Same applies for GPUs. If you mainly or only game, NVidia is a good option. However if you use Adobe and mine Bitcoins, OpenCL on AMD cards will benefit you a lot.

Hence Dravic, go away and don't bother us people who want to have a civilised discussion. Also it is proven that the 8350 beats all, and I mean ALL Intel CPUs in Integer based operations

"it is proven" - where?

You are saying that 8 core beats 4 cores. OKay, i agree. But that doesnt mean AMD beats intel, that means 8 amd cores beats 4 intel cores except that Intel can throw more cores at the problem as well. Compare 8 amd cores to 8 intel cores and say that again.

Dravic is a blight on this forum I can't believe that after all the warnings he wasn't eventually banned.

Personal attacks on the forum are against the rules but somebody has to put a stop to his destructive efforts.

Yes, destructive efforts to defend Intel CPUs on a forum full of blind AMD fanboys raging when somebody proves them wrong.

Cry me a river - I feed on your tears, people.

I have no problem with AMD crappy modular design except that it's slower than Intel in 99% of tasks. if it didnt, my next CPU will be AMD modular design.

Now, the problem with you people:

You are saying FX CPU is faster because it is and it must be true because you've seen 1 benchmark that says so so all people out there should be blessed with your knowledge and they should buy AMD FX because it must be faster cuz it has more cores for all tasks it will be faster bla bla bla bla.

That's pretty much all you are saying. When I say that it is not faster in 99% of tasks (the ones that arent multi threaded) you guys start throwing shit at me for being Intel fanboy. All tasks for up to quad threads will be faster on Intel by a lot. 5-6 threads will still be faster or as fast on Intel i5 as FX 6300. 7-8 threads will be faster with FX 8320/8350 than i5 and in some cases faster than i7.

"it is proven" - where?

You are saying that 8 core beats 4 cores. OKay, i agree. But that doesnt mean AMD beats intel, that means 8 amd cores beats 4 intel cores except that Intel can throw more cores at the problem as well. Compare 8 amd cores to 8 intel cores and say that again.

You'll never know, AMD is slowly catching up to Intel and with consoles coming out... AMD will have more money to R&D APUs which may very well be tomorrow's enthusiasts EXTREME edition. And not forgetting that consumer grade Intel 8 cores are quite some distance away.

Also, it is proven in a lot of websites. Not sure about AnandTech and I'll give you that. But I have seen such results on multiple sites. The more sources agree with each other, the more credible said result is hence making it more reliable.

"it is proven" - where?

Yes lets compare a $200 cpu with a $1000 cpu. That seems like a valid hypothesis for a test.

You just keep missing the point, beware of rabbits would be my personal suggestion, if you want to know why do some research on carrots, when you understand the statement you will no longer need to beware of rabbits.