6700K vs 5820K?

Long story short, a maintenance man came into my apartment while no one was home and cut a water hose. No idea why it did not shut off, but my CPU got hot enough to crack the die and melt the plastic in the CPU socket. Overheated GPU still works fine. The bottom line is that I need a new CPU and motherboard. I mainly game and render videos. Do I go with a 5820K or 6700K? I am thinking 5820K because Intel is releasing new CPUs for the X99 platform soon. Any ideas?

5820K unless you're going ITX and you want a black/red MOBO.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Long story short, a maintenance man came into my apartment while no one was home and cut a water hose. No idea why it did not shut off, but my CPU got hot enough to crack the die and melt the plastic in the CPU socket. Overheated GPU still works fine. The bottom line is that I need a new CPU and motherboard. I mainly game and render videos. Do I go with a 5820K or 6700K? I am thinking 5820K because Intel is releasing new CPUs for the X99 platform soon. Any ideas?

5820k imo

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

So you're saying a maintenance man came into your apartment, opened your computer case, and cut your watercooling? Um... Clarify? Couldn't you just sue the company...

5820K is 40% faster

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Something smells fishy about your story..

All of it..

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

no way in hell your story is true, silicon breaks down at 500c.

I don't think your PC hit 500C.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

What was a maintenance man doing poking around in your computer? Also, plastic melts at 170 degrees and Silicon cracks at 500. Pls clarify story or stop lying.

I would have no reason to lie about this. CPUs CAN get this hot. What might have cracked it is me pouring room temp water into it as soon as I fixed the hose about 30 seconds later. The rapid cooling might have cracked it.

I would have no reason to lie about this. CPUs CAN get this hot. What might have cracked it is me pouring room temp water into it as soon as I fixed the hose about 30 seconds later. The rapid cooling might have cracked it.

LOOOOOL

yeah stop lying kid, tjmax is at 100c and will throttle.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Throttling and PC shutting off would happen far before it melts lol

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Are you sure? Considering that passive cooling from the IHS Will stop it hitting 500C, I have tested a G3258 At full load With just a fan blowing air onto it, throttled but was still at 100C.

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Hope this helps:

6700k:

- Around 20-40€ cheaper depending on country, Motherboard is a good 100€ cheaper

- less tdp = cooler = easier to cool

- 4 Ghz base clock, thus FASTER for almost all Games, than the 5820k stock. Most Games still profite more from Core Clock, than multiple Threads.

5820k:

- 50% more Cores. 6 Cores, 12 Threads, compared to 4 cores, 8 Threads.

- You need to OC it to 4 Ghz, to get to a similar Single Thread

- Can consume over 100w more under Load, when you OC it on 4 ghz, to match skylakes speed

- more difficult to cool, due to higher TDP.

- Quad Channel instead of Dual. Makes absolutely no difference for gaming, but idk what else you do.

- If you have heavy multitasking (see Linus' Video about more cores on streaming etc), the 5820k can catch a higher workload, without stuttering. For example, you play a game, stream while it, and render a big videofile in the background.

TL;DR: The higher Price of the 5820k Is only Worth, if you CAN utilize the additional Cores in the next 2-3+ Years. if you have NO Use for 6 Cores (instead 4) during the next 5 years or even 6.. You Payed for literaly Nothing.

Btw: Broadwell-E is said to have a good bunch higher ipc (performance per Clock on a Core) than Skylake or haswell-E. I would feel bad, to buy a 1,5 year old CPU (even if its still Great) which is supposed to work for the next 5-6 Years, when 3-4 months later theres a noticable upgrade to it.

On skylake you can still say "lower price"

What i sadly can Not say is: If the 5820k with his 50% more cores  can render a Video faster, than a 4-Core 6700k, who is able to use Intel's Quicksync (which is a BEAST for rendering).

But, the less price difference there is, the more you should grab the 5820k.

I cannot believe all the "yeah, 500°C, stop lying kid" replies... Go with 5820k

You underestimate the power of electricity when it experiences a short circuit, go to your car and lay anything metal across the battery terminals.

So true!