Which USB ports are powered on a Define R5

soup

Would be a complete hassle to get up into the loft dig out my case box to look at the leaflet inside and not really sure what to search for so thought I'd ask here before putting lots of effort into what is possibly a little used feature.

Which of the USB ports on an R5 should be used for recharging. I tried to charge an android device from one of the USB3 ports and it took 14 hours to charge to 67% (seems like a trickle charge to me ) whilst bunging it on to a wall wart affair has taken just one and a half hours from 67 to 95%. 

IMHOBICBW trickle charges are less aggresive and better for the battery, but now and again a fast charge is required and hang the consequences.

So which port should I be using or are all the FP ports on the R5 of this limited power?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

no one I guess since the ports are just passthroughs

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

pretty sure thats a motherboard thing and not a case thing, since afaik the case side of things is just copper.

I think all of the front panel ports will be the same. They're just connected to the internal USB3.0 header, so they don't have extra power to them. 

Yup thanks all . I obviouslly didn't think this through before firing off my question.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

You're gonna be hard-pressed to find a fast charger built into a case. Fast charging has only just been standardized by USB-IF (called USB Power Delivery 2.0) WHich was released around the time USB 3.1 was released. It's been a few years but in terms of adapting to new tech, that's not that long a time. That new power delivery pretty much requires the new C-type connector which isn't yet implemented in cases. So as long as they're using the A-type, they're maxing out at 4,5 Watts at 5 Volts. (the maximum allowed by USB 3.0)

Obviously, if the manufacturers don't follow the standard, they may well implement a powered USB that ignores the maximum current and or voltage. Maybe put in a data hand-shake before ramping up the power. That's how the phone wall-chargers do it. But since the case manufacturers have no hand in manufacturing the devices themselves, they'd be taking huge risks. You gotta note that the current is only half the equation. Voltage is what really makes the charging fast. Also that's what will break stuff if any. I don't really see it happening by respectable manufacturers such as Fractal Design. 

There are no high powered usb ports in the Define R5

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5