i3 vs i5 (ivy bridge)

so... i'm currently doing a secondary rig for gaming, htpc, emulation, storage and other random tasks, and i can't quite decide on cpu. it's currently between a 3220 and 3350p (budget ftw), and i can't see any reason to pay more for the i5... the i3 has hyperthreading, so the only real difference is cache, but how much will it matter for gaming? i don't need anything future-proof as i will be stuffing old parts from my current system in as i upgrade, for example i will be replacing my 2600k within a generation or two :P

specs for the rest of the system: (random left-overs ftw)

p8z77-i deluxe

silverstone sg05 with psu

evga 650ti boost

8 gb dominator ram 1600 mhz

random hdd from some laptop

If you have the money for an i5, get that. Definitely don't get the i3, just get the best AMD CPU for the same price.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Go for the i5 if possible. The i3 is not a good value.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Go for the I3, the I5 is basically an I3 for more money.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Why not get an i5? actual core are always better than hyperthreading

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Couldn't be further from the truth. A physical core is always going to and does perform better than a logical core.

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Wat+.+Loading+description_1fb790_4143719

That's all I have to say.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

That's all I have to say.

Come on man, I'm not in the mood tonight, but just cause i said that this I5 is worth nothing IMO, don't need to give me... this thing.

And seriously, who needs a quad core for HTPC and Emulation purposes.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Try to fit a 8320

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

My i3 was a super great value

How so?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you have the money for an i5, get that. Definitely don't get the i3, just get the best AMD CPU for the same price.

as stated i already have the mobo, therefore amd would be a waste of money :P

Why not get an i5? actual core are always better than hyperthreading

Couldn't be further from the truth. A physical core is always going to and does perform better than a logical core.

i5 or amd APU

as stated, not amd. guess i'll pay a little extra for the i5 then. money isn't a real problem, i'm just trying to afford a second 7950 and the arc mini r2 at the same time :P

i5 or amd APU

the best apu has nothing on i3 as cpu power.better get a phenom 2 that apu.   and an i3 does a very good job. gaming and whatever. but the fx 6300 from amd is a lilttle better. 

Combined-Average-Gaming-Performance.png

For strictly gaming purposes an i3 will be fine for the most part, but in very CPU bound games it'll hold you back a bit. If you can squeeze a bit more money get a cheap i5. It'll be worth it. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Come on man, I'm not in the mood tonight, but just cause i said that this I5 is worth nothing IMO, don't need to give me... this thing.

And seriously, who needs a quad core for HTPC and Emulation purposes.

as i mentioned, it's also for gaming. that's my best excuse for this rig, so i won't have to haul a watercooled rig around to lans :P

Try to fit a 8320

seriously guys, i already have the mobo :P also, this is m-itx...

you are very,very wrong. because fx 6300 just dropped in price because of the i3. it used to cost more. its a very good value

I had i3 in the past and it's very good cpu for it's value and if you're focused on games, you better take i3 and powerful video card, rather then i5 and weaker video card.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

holy s**t, you guys are fast... i can't keep up with my own thread :o

1340501418958.png

the best apu has nothing on i3 as cpu power.better get a phenom 2 that apu.   and an i3 does a very good job. gaming and whatever. but the fx 6300 from amd is a lilttle better. 

Combined-Average-Gaming-Performance.png

on that graph where is the 5800K or even the 6800K?

How so?

Render on Sony Vegas pretty gangsta and doesn't drag ass on games

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

I had i3 in the past and it's very good cpu for it's value and if you're focused on games, you better take i3 and powerful video card, rather then i5 and weaker video card.

already have the 650ti boost which i got almost for free, besides this will be 1080p-gaming, not 5760x1080 like my main system :P

An i3 and a fx 8320 is basically the same price. Seems like a no brainer to me, you save money and get an 8 core cpu. its not the best and definitely not the worst. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1