Installed Linux Mint on HP dv7 laptop and it won't connect to WiFi

Jusberi

Hey, after a hassle I finally managed to install Linux Mint to my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop.

Next problem was that it didn't connect to my router via WiFi, I got it working by making a hotspot with my phone and connecting to it.

I found out that it has a Qualcomm Atheros AR542x wireless network adapter and some terminal commands that I could try, they only made it worse. Now it won't find any available networks.

The terminal commands were:

echo "options ath5k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf

sudo modprobe -rfv ath5k

sudo modprobe -v ath5k

What should I do?

Hey, after a hassle I finally managed to install Linux Mint to my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop.

Next problem was that it didn't connect to my router via WiFi, I got it working by making a hotspot with my phone and connecting to it.

I found out that it has a Qualcomm Atheros AR542x wireless network adapter and some terminal commands that I could try, they only made it worse. Now it won't find any available networks.

The terminal commands were:

echo "options ath5k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath5k.conf

sudo modprobe -rfv ath5k

sudo modprobe -v ath5k

What should I do?

get the drivers?

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

Can you get wifi through wired?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Can you get wifi through wired?

Wifi through wired????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you mean Ethernet...

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

Wifi through wired????????????????????????????????????????????????????

you mean Ethernet...

I was tempted to say Ethernet but since I put wired I couldnt be bothered to change it. Sorry for confusion.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Yes

Hmmm, it could be your router, maybe a cable is loose inside that laptop (from the wireless card). Idk but it sounds wierd. I would recommend trying to install the laptops drivers from the manufacturer of the computer instead of the wireless cards website if there is one.

My Rig:

Hmmm, it could be your router, maybe a cable is loose inside that laptop (from the wireless card). Idk but it sounds wierd. I would recommend trying to install the laptops drivers from the manufacturer of the computer instead of the wireless cards website if there is one.

Well I don't think it is the router since it wont find any other networks either. There are no drivers on HP's website.

Well I don't think it is the router since it wont find any other networks either. There are no drivers on HP's website.

are you sure?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/3837623/model/3860629/drivers

My Rig:

I see only windows drivers. It says Linux Mint right there in the title, did you even read the title and my post or are you too busy grinding that sweet post count up like everyone else on this forum.

No, I read your whole post. However linux should install all the drivers itself and I dont really see wut the prob is. Could you maybe install linux mint again? see if it does anything...

My Rig:

Yes thanks, I also found that thread but enabling those backports and what not is way too difficult for me.

That's why I don't use Linux it's way too difficult I used Ubuntu for a week or so but had too much problems always the stupid terminal to install something and it's slower than Windows 10 in my experience.

Also, are you able to go into terminal and uninstall the modprobe stuff that you installed? I bet you can but dont quote me on that m8

My Rig:

Most likely a driver issue. I know on an old HP laptop I have you had to jump through hoops to get WiFi working. I remember with my HP laptop I had to connect wired to the router and download the drivers. Alternatively you could look for a USB wireless adapter that works with Linux. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I was tempted to say Ethernet but since I put wired I couldnt be bothered to change it. Sorry for confusion.

Oh, Ok. So what you actually intended to say was:

Can you get wifi through ethernet?

Yes, that makes so much more sense, thank you for clearing up the confusion. Repeatedly pointing OP to HP's Windows driver page, while acknowledging that OP is running linux and then stating that linux should install the drivers so you don't see what the problem is, REALLY clears up any confusion I might have had.

Please do us all a favour and just stop. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop giving useless or bad advice.

OP: The first suggestion I would make is that since Mint is a highly customized version of Ubuntu, you might try going right to the source. Just throw plain Ubuntu 15.10 onto a USB stick and see if you can get connectivity that way. You can then narrow you troubleshooting from there. No need to install it, just boot as a live cd. It's strange that you were able to get it to connect to your phone's hotspot but not to your router.

Please do us all a favour and just stop. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop giving useless or bad advice.

Look, I don't think you understand the whole point of being in a NICE community forum do you. So saying a sarcastic comment on my innocent reply really clears up how nice the people on this forum can be. 

Please do us all a favour and just stop. You dont know how to be kind. Stop making everyone feel so bad about them self.

To you: The first thing you should do to make sure you do not offend others is by saying something kind to them first, and then give them feedback on how they should possibly act on a post in the future.

My Rig: