What's the deal with Xeon E5-2608LV3 2.00GHz CPU's

Go to solution Solved by H4X3R,

Definitely build something. The motherboard will probably be the only part you will need to acquire (assuming you use your old HDD/SSDs and GPU/s as well as add on parts if you have any), oh and you'll need 2 cpu coolers.

In terms of buying a motherboard i would suggest a ASUS Z10PA-D8.

Hey folks, its my first post please be gentle :)

I currently have 2 Intel Xeon E5-2608LV3 2.00GHz CPU's. I'm not an expert by any means and I was wondering if it was worth my time and money to build a system around these CPU's.

My needs are fairly basic I currently run a simple home server for shares/storage and Plex. However I have recently gotten in to experimenting with Virtual machines and these CPU's do support virtual set-ups.

I am currently running a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 @ 2.50GHz socket 775 4 gigs or ram, somewhat dated I know

so again I ask should I take the dive and build something up? or just hold off and get a i7 CPU down the road...

Also it would be great if anyone could suggest a motherboard as well, I'm open minded, either dual CPU or single.

Cheers

Definitely build something. The motherboard will probably be the only part you will need to acquire (assuming you use your old HDD/SSDs and GPU/s as well as add on parts if you have any), oh and you'll need 2 cpu coolers.

In terms of buying a motherboard i would suggest a ASUS Z10PA-D8.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

This setup will be more than fine for home servers. For much more than that, mehhh...

For gaming they might be a wee bit weak.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Thanks for the quick response guys, much appreciated. Could anyone suggest a single CPU mother board as well  ? ?

Any x99 board will do for single cpu setup. That cpu you got is a haswell-ep chip. But get a dual socket board.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list