3Ds Max, Maya, Mudbox, AutoCAD: which one should I be using

MangoIce

Hi!

Now I know basically nothing about Autodesk programs (how to use them), and the only proper CAD software that I know how to use is Creo Parametric. I want to learn how to use the programs of Autodesk, know im just some kid in school who likes this stuff so i dont need a proper full blown knowledge of the above.

Firstly: Which software should I be using for video game character and environment design, ( I don't want to learn animating right now, I just want to design them). 

Secondly: any good sources for tutorials

I really like cake

A great all-rounder would be either 3ds Max or Maya.

I personally favour 3ds Max over Maya, though that's more personal preference than anything.

As for tutorials...uhh...Lynda.com?

Actually, there're a bunch of tutorials on how to use 3D software, and they're essentially everywhere on the internet.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

well autocad is more made for mechanical engineering so thats not really where you wanna go

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

uhm ... Blender to try it out?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

uhm ... Blender to try it out?

let me put it like this, learning blender is like finding a new planet identical to earth

I really like cake

A great all-rounder would be either 3ds Max or Maya.

I personally favour 3ds Max over Maya, though that's more personal preference than anything.

As for tutorials...uhh...Lynda.com?

Actually, there're a bunch of tutorials on how to use 3D software, and they're essentially everywhere on the internet.

for that yes i can use lynda but i meant anything on like youtube, i found autodesks official channel but the was for software from 2011

I really like cake

for that yes i can use lynda but i meant anything on like youtube, i found autodesks official channel but the was for software from 2011

It hasn't really changed in a way that makes the old ones obsolete. You can still learn a lot from them.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

It hasn't really changed in a way that makes the old ones obsolete. You can still learn a lot from them.

k thx

I really like cake

let me put it like this, learning blender is like finding a new planet identical to earth

i don't experienced it like that - I started with car models, a friend of mine taught me the basics like extruding and so on and then the rest was trial and error.

If you start with characters, it will start with sculpting and that's only a thing of practicing, there are some good tutorials on youtube

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

i don't experienced it like that - I started with car models, a friend of mine taught me the basics like extruding and so on and then the rest was trial and error.

If you start with characters, it will start with sculpting and that's only a thing of practicing, there are some good tutorials on youtube

i guess, you did have a friend who told you but i unfortunately have to learn from the miracuslous internet.

I really like cake

AutoCAD is more for making building aplans and less for making video game characters though it can be useful in designing the environment. 3DS max is my go to for 3d modelling.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Don't expect maya or 3dsmax to be much easier ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Don't expect maya or 3dsmax to be much easier ^^

they aren't they just look better.. But they have lots of guides from big companies. Moving from 3DS max to blender is a huge learning curve.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

they aren't they just look better.. But they have lots of guides from big companies. Moving from 3DS max to blender is a huge learning curve.

yeah, that's true, although if lynda has courses it shouldn't be that much harder.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Considering you are a student, why settle for one. Autodesk education support is excellent. Just get the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite it include both Maya and 3ds Max and more. It's specifically tailored for game development among other things.

Last but not least it's FREE (full access) for students.

I use the Production Suite as I'm more interested on the mechanical side of things.

There's also something called the Autodesk University though I haven't looked into that.

Well, depending on the fidelity you're going for with the game assets, you'll need both mudbox and 3ds max/maya

Mudbox is sculpting, it really takes a lot of practice, but it's the best way to make organic things, like animals and humans. You can model those, but sculpting will look better.

3DS Max & maya are great for environments, you can choose whichever one you want. I'm more of a 3ds max guy, as I find it has better modeling tools. Rendering is pretty much identical in both, with both using either Mental Ray or iRay

Great thing about autodesk software is that you can just export something from mudbox to maya/max with a single click, and vice versa.

I'd say learn modeling first (environments, non-organic objects) and familiarize yourself with the interface of either maya or max. (Mudbox will adapt to whichever you are used to, it does both max and maya hotkeys). One tip I always give is HOTKEYS! Learn them, use them, they make your life so much easier!

AutoCAD doesn't really belong in this list, unless you're also looking to make technical drawings, which is not a part of game asset creation :P

Considering you are a student, why settle for one. Autodesk education support is excellent. Just get the Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite it include both Maya and 3ds Max and more. It's specifically tailored for game development among other things.
Last but not least it's FREE (full access) for students.

I use the Production Suite as I'm more interested on the mechanical side of things.

There's also something called the Autodesk University though I haven't looked into that.

This! 

Their education system is so good that I don't understand why my school insisted on making us pay for Cinema 4D.

I switched to max the second it stopped mattering.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

One more thing, if you have a tablet Autodesk also has quite a few apps to allow you to get the basic outline of your ideas down on the go.

PS: just had a browse through Autodesk University - this might be of interest to you (inline with Elapos comments) http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2012/autodesk-mudbox/creature-modeling-and-sculpting-with-autodesk-maya-and-autodesk-mudbox#chapter=0

3DS Max with V-ray is fantastic, and you get a 3 year student license too.

V-Ray isn't free for students though - not legally anyway- unless your school provides it, which I don't think is the case here.

well autocad is more made for mechanical engineering so thats not really where you wanna go

Another to list is architectural design as well since AutoCAD is used for that application as well.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

It has a infinite trial, however there are watermarks.

Really? I still think Mental ray is a good place to start though. It's getting old, sure, but it can teach you a lot about renderers, and it comes with max/Maya!

That being said, since OP is going for gaming stuff, he probably doesn't need a renderer, but still.

Mental Ray is ok, but I find it gives less pleasing results for more effort. With v-ray, make a plain vray texture, change reflection and diffuse and turn on a few things and it looks lifelike. I just love it.

Both require you to learn what the knobs do. Pro of mental ray, aside from it being bundled is the fact that you can render the result with either Mental Ray or iRay (which arguably looks even better than V-Ray). Unbiased rendering is the easiest, best looking, though you do need some serious graphics horsepower.

Thank you all fo rthe info and I'll hopefully get to work

I really like cake