Upgrading my current setup

Hi there everyone, hope you've all had a good new year :)

Basically at the minute I've got a 4670k/z87-k paired with a 980ti. The only issue been is that I cant get an OC to stick with the CPU. This could either be down to the CPU or the Motherboard, which was bought with a pre-built combination and them sticking in shit parts.

Now I'm playing quite a few heavy CPU intensive games where I'm dropping to frame rates I don't personally find acceptable/enjoyable and was wondering if getting either the 6600k or 5820k would be beneficial as I would be looking at upgrading again when the new CPU's come out to do a custom cooling loop.

Would be able to sell my current system with a 7950 to get it sold quicker hopefully and then re-sell the z170/x99 platform if I did decide to go for the upgrade now.

Just wanting some opinions on if its worth it now or just wait for the new CPU cycle. 

Cheers Cpt.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

its a lot of money for a marginal upgrade.

Unless your games are unplayable I would wait, pretty sure were going to see some new CPU tech in 2017 which will change the game yet again.

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

What game is so demanding that a 4670k is noticeably bottlenecking?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hi there everyone, hope you've all had a good new year :)

Basically at the minute I've got a 4670k/z87-k paired with a 980ti. The only issue been is that I cant get an OC to stick with the CPU. This could either be down to the CPU or the Motherboard, which was bought with a pre-built combination and them sticking in shit parts.

Now I'm playing quite a few heavy CPU intensive games where I'm dropping to frame rates I don't personally find acceptable/enjoyable and was wondering if getting either the 6600k or 5820k would be beneficial as I would be looking at upgrading again when the new CPU's come out to do a custom cooling loop.

Would be able to sell my current system with a 7950 to get it sold quicker hopefully and then re-sell the z170/x99 platform if I did decide to go for the upgrade now.

Just wanting some opinions on if its worth it now or just wait for the new CPU cycle. 

Cheers Cpt.

There is no game that uses more than 4 cores. I would go for the Intel Core i5 6600K if you're only going to play games. If you plan to do video editing or things that would benefit from hyper threading then you should go for the Intel Core i7 5820K other than that there is no need for an i7.

its a lot of money for a marginal upgrade.

Unless your games are unplayable I would wait, pretty sure were going to see some new CPU tech in 2017 which will change the game yet again.

Would most likely cost me around £50-100 with selling my current parts, have a full spare rig to sell if I do decide to go with the upgrade like so cost isn't too much of a worry.

It's just me wanting a constant 60 fps really and to be honest, its games which aren't very optimized like Arma 3 anyway. I suppose I can keep the OCD down for now  :D

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

There is no game that uses more than 4 cores

Then how do you explain this:

https://youtu.be/PVl8Eupbr_E?t=3m25s

moving up to a 6 or 8 core in some games actually made a measurable difference.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What game is so demanding that a 4670k is noticeably bottlenecking?

It's mainly due to the single core clock not been that high, which is lowering my minimum fps value to a amount I don't personally like. I'm not complaining in hind sight with my setup or saying that I have bottlenecking. 

It's mainly due to the single core clock not been that high, which is lowering my minimum fps value to a amount I don't personally like. I'm not complaining in hind sight with my setup or saying that I have bottlenecking. 

if you don't have bottlenecking, upgrading the cpu will do absolutely nothing by definition.

if you don't have bottlenecking, upgrading the cpu will do absolutely nothing by definition.

... =/

I never said I had bottlenecking or anything or the sort. I want to be able to increase my core speed to improve my lowest FPS value as some of the games I play aren't very optimized and benefit from the higher speed and even a higher ram speed.

Thats why I said is it worth it or should I stick it out or even try to get a new MB to test if that's the issue?

Then how do you explain this:

https://youtu.be/PVl8Eupbr_E?t=3m25s

moving up to a 6 or 8 core in some games actually made a measurable difference.

What cpu's are they using? Sorry I can't listen to the sound because i'm at work an my co workers don't like it.. I didn't know Total War Atilla uses 8 cores and get high FPS with it at least when the graphics aren't maxed out. Other than that there is no mayor difference between 4 cores and 8 cores in games.

... =/

I never said I had bottlenecking or anything or the sort. I want to be able to increase my core speed to improve my lowest FPS value as some of the games I play aren't very optimized and benefit from the higher speed and even a higher ram speed.

Thats why I said is it worth it or should I stick it out or even try to get a new MB to test if that's the issue?

The definition of CPU bottlenecking is that the CPU is too slow and holding your games back - ie, that increasing your CPU speed would help performance.

If upgrading the CPU helps the game run faster, it was a bottleneck.  If it is not holding it back (not a bottleneck), then upgrading it will not help.

What cpu's are they using? Sorry I can't listen to the sound because i'm at work an my co workers don't like it.. I didn't know Total War Atilla uses 8 cores and get high FPS with it at least when the graphics aren't maxed out. Other than that there is no mayor difference between 4 cores and 8 cores in games.

it's a 5960x oc to 3.2 ghz, and they simulated the other chips by enabling/disable ht and cores as necessary.

it's a 5960x oc to 3.2 ghz, and they simulated the other chips by enabling/disable ht and cores as necessary.

You mean underclocked? I thought they used AMD CPU's. Why would you buy an Intel Core i7 5960X and game on it xD?

You mean underclocked? I thought they used AMD CPU's. Why would you buy an Intel Core i7 5960X and game on it xD?

lol actually yeah idk - that's what they said in the vid  :huh:

as for why, it's because they could use one chip at one speed with one setup, etc. and change just the core count and ht configuration.  easier and more scientific than trying a bunch of different cpus on different mobos, etc. when you want to isolate just the cores variable.

lol actually yeah idk - that's what they said in the vid  :huh:

as for why, it's because they could use one chip at one speed with one setup, etc. and change just the core count and ht configuration.  easier and more scientific than trying a bunch of different cpus on different mobos, etc. when you want to isolate just the cores variable.

They could use an Intel Xeon too  :P

But I wouldn't  buy the 5960X for gaming. Go for an Intel Core i5 instead which is more than enough for gaming.

Well there is no obvious benefit since 4 cores is all you need.

But every single multithreaded game at this moment can use more than 4 cores. But only depends on how well the game is build to thread.