775 Overclocking problem

Go to solution Solved by CubiX,

If you want to overclock effectively you'll need a higher grade motherboard. Asus P5Q series boards based on the P45 chipset are very commonly used by members on this forum. I've also had success with ECS P45T boards and Asus P5N-D boards based on the nForce 750i.

My personal favorites are nForce 790i boards like my EVGA 790i FTW, but they are very hard to find nowadays. 780i boards were finicky with Quads, but were excellent too if you want to stick with DDR2. P45 boards are available in both DDR2 and DDR3.

Well thanks for your help :P I did consider changing my mobo a few years ago but welp i will probably be upgrading to intel's next gen cpu's :P 

Hello guys ^_^ i wanted to ask a question :P

So my Q8300 will not get to higher frequency (will not boot) unless i raise the pci frequency... voltage hasnt been a problem.

The thing is that my system is stable with up to pci freq @120mhz from 100mhz which means that unless i raise it more, i cant brake my 413mhz fsb oc 

However if i raise it at 121mhz (pci freq) my drives will not be detected (yes i know pci freq affects drives pci lanes and other devices) but the thing is... how did guys archieve 4+ghz when i can only archieve 3.1ghz ?  Is there any secret with the pci frequency that i don't know ? 

Some help would be really nice ^_^ 

Thanks for your time 

What motherboard are you using specifically?

An overclock with a Q8300 is more often than not done with the FSB, and this gets tricky if you can't unlink it from your RAM. PCI frequency isn't a good idea, ever.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Sooo my problem is that there are no inlink settings (asus p5e vm-do) .. I dont really like messing with the pci freq either (enen though it works) but only if i raise it i can oc... Else it wont boot no matter the voltage...

And even then i can reach max 3.1ghz with 403mhz fsb 1.05v and 120mhz pci freq

Sooo my problem is that there are no inlink settings (asus p5e vm-do) .. I dont really like messing with the pci freq either (enen though it works) but only if i raise it i can oc... Else it wont boot no matter the voltage...

And even then i can reach max 3.1ghz with 403mhz fsb 1.05v and 120mhz pci freq

Should have quoted me or tagged me I would have seen this sooner.

Anyways if your board doesn't have an unlink option then your FSB settings affect your RAM speed as well as your CPU. This will decrease your overclocking headroom quite a bit.

Your board is a Q35 chipset, it's meant for business workstations, ie stability. Therefore it's not going to be as effective at overclocking as a P35 or P45.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Should have quoted me or tagged me I would have seen this sooner.

Anyways if your board doesn't have an unlink option then your FSB settings affect your RAM speed as well as your CPU. This will decrease your overclocking headroom quite a bit.

Your board is a Q35 chipset, it's meant for business workstations, ie stability. Therefore it's not going to be as effective at overclocking as a P35 or P45.

Yeah i know that :/ Well as for ram oc i have no problem ... its running fine w/o heating up that much at about 800mhz

So yeah ... that is the only thing that bothers me :( no unlink options so that i can oc even just a bit higher (yes indeed this is a q35 chipset)

So much headroom Q.Q 

Yeah i know that :/ Well as for ram oc i have no problem ... its running fine w/o heating up that much at about 800mhz

So yeah ... that is the only thing that bothers me :( no unlink options so that i can oc even just a bit higher (yes indeed this is a q35 chipset)

So much headroom Q.Q

If you want to overclock effectively you'll need a higher grade motherboard. Asus P5Q series boards based on the P45 chipset are very commonly used by members on this forum. I've also had success with ECS P45T boards and Asus P5N-D boards based on the nForce 750i.

My personal favorites are nForce 790i boards like my EVGA 790i FTW, but they are very hard to find nowadays. 780i boards were finicky with Quads, but were excellent too if you want to stick with DDR2. P45 boards are available in both DDR2 and DDR3.

Well thanks for your help :P I did consider changing my mobo a few years ago but welp i will probably be upgrading to intel's next gen cpu's :P 

Yeah that's usually the best course of action. :P

Sometimes it's even cheaper too.

Personally my 8300 didn't overclock well but I was able to through the FSB, think it was my motherboard though since it has a chipset problem. Try leaving the voltage and going up on the FSB, comes down to what the motherboard is also since that will play a roll.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Hello guys ^_^ i wanted to ask a question :P

So my Q8300 will not get to higher frequency (will not boot) unless i raise the pci frequency... voltage hasnt been a problem.

The thing is that my system is stable with up to pci freq @120mhz from 100mhz which means that unless i raise it more, i cant brake my 413mhz fsb oc 

However if i raise it at 121mhz (pci freq) my drives will not be detected (yes i know pci freq affects drives pci lanes and other devices) but the thing is... how did guys archieve 4+ghz when i can only archieve 3.1ghz ?  Is there any secret with the pci frequency that i don't know ? 

Some help would be really nice ^_^

Thanks for your time 

honestly that is quite impressive oc for that chipset! you will need a better board or high multiplier cpu to get more performance now. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Well i didnt even need to get my voltages higher than stock... i actually dropped them because honestly at 3.1ghz my 8300 barely needs 1.1v (unlike my q6600 which sucks my neighborhood's electricity and my pocket as well... (it needs 1.45volts to reach 3.5ghz :/  ) but anyways the chipset on my mobo is what really limits me anyways (if only i had a better mobo, i would expect this 8300 to reach 4ghz @1.4v and i would even try to push it further :D )