Ethernet Cable cat 5e, not enought?

Hello, i've reacently upgraded a computer and a switch, and now they are capable of gigabit connections.

This is a remote part of the house. Everybody runs of wifi except me that i have a cable run to my room and a cable that goes to a NAS. I should have a gigabit connection to the NAS but i don't when there's my 5e cable in the middle (i get 100mbps). In theory cat 5e should be capable of gigabit in smaller lenghts than 100m, shouldn't it?

Is there any hotfix? maybe the routers don't have enought power? >.<

It is pretty difficult to run a new cable, but I would like to "saturate the bananas" of my nas with a WDred... would I have to use cat 6?

Thanks!

PD: Moving the NAS to my room is not an option

1st check the cable to make sure both the ends (crimping) are OK

cat5e should be OK for gigabit, short-medium distances 

2nd, make sure the NICs are set to auto or gbps connection

1st check the cable to make sure both the ends are OK

cat5e should be OK for gigabit, short-medium distances

They seem to be okay... how should i know? 100mbps are running just fine, is there any way to know if all the pairs are working? Maybe thats the problem...

They seem to be okay... how should i know? 100mbps are running just fine, is there any way to know if all the pairs are working? Maybe thats the problem...

you could use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE-H11-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B000P1OA1O/ref=lp_7701919011_1_5?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1451897901&sr=1-5

note: all 4 pairs (8 wires) must be connected for gigabit

Something in your network is not 1Gbit capable. Your network will only be as fast as the slowest device.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Something in your network is not 1Gbit capable. Your network will only be as fast as the slowest device.

Well considering the only time it doesn't work for the OP is when there's a Cat5e cable attached, it really depends if he is getting 1Gbps if connected directly to his PC.

Hello, i've reacently upgraded a computer and a switch, and now they are capable of gigabit connections.

This is a remote part of the house. Everybody runs of wifi except me that i have a cable run to my room and a cable that goes to a NAS. I should have a gigabit connection to the NAS but i don't when there's my 5e cable in the middle (i get 100mbps). In theory cat 5e should be capable of gigabit in smaller lenghts than 100m, shouldn't it?

Is there any hotfix? maybe the routers don't have enought power? >.<

It is pretty difficult to run a new cable, but I would like to "saturate the bananas" of my nas with a WDred... would I have to use cat 6?

Thanks!

PD: Moving the NAS to my room is not an option

Do you get 1Gbit when connected directly.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I've made an experiment with a laptop (with gigabit) and it's defenitly the cable...

NAS - ROUTER - CAT 5E LONG CABLE - LAPTOP: 100mbps

NAS - ROUTER - CAT 5 short cable - LAPTOP: gigabit

Well considering the only time it doesn't work for the OP is when there's a Cat5e cable attached, it really depends if he is getting 1Gbps if connected directly to his PC.

Do you get 1Gbit when connected directly.

When looking at the ends you should see the copper of the cable showing though the plastic (it will be butted up agaist it so it cant go any further IE no gap) if there is a gap or you can see one of the pins that goes in to one of the copper cables then this is your problem.

All ethernet cables should be:

You can see the copper has reached the end and can not go any further.

the shething (isulate around the 4 pairs) is held in place tightly via the crimp and is actualy inside the connector (pushed in as far as it can go is the best)

all crimped pins are fully incerted in to the cable, compare the sides and note the depth, then compare the others, when looking at the sides you should see the teath have penetrated the copper wire and are pushing on the top of the hole for the wire.

the colours match the correct standard. Standards are either A or B.  A starts with White/Green, Green, B starts with White/Orange, Orange (reading left to right with the clip facing to the floor)

If all this checks out then there could be a break in the cable.

If your cable is only working at 100Mbps then you can narrow the colours that are causing an issue:  Colours blue and brown are used for 1000Mbps connectivity, Orange and Green for 100Mbps,  to be clear you have to have all 4 pairs working to get full 1000Mbps rather than one or the other. so if there is a problem is most likely to do with the blue and or brown wires.

Link to colour code: http://softwaressolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/rj-45-11.gif

When looking at the ends you should see the copper of the cable showing though the plastic (it will be butted up agaist it so it cant go any further IE no gap) if there is a gap or you can see one of the pins that goes in to one of the copper cables then this is your problem.

All ethernet cables should be:

You can see the copper has reached the end and can not go any further.

the shething (isulate around the 4 pairs) is held in place tightly via the crimp and is actualy inside the connector (pushed in as far as it can go is the best)

all crimped pins are fully incerted in to the cable, compare the sides and note the depth, then compare the others, when looking at the sides you should see the teath have penetrated the copper wire and are pushing on the top of the hole for the wire.

the colours match the correct standard. Standards are either A or B.  A starts with White/Green, Green, B starts with White/Orange, Orange (reading left to right with the clip facing to the floor)

If all this checks out then there could be a break in the cable.

If your cable is only working at 100Mbps then you can narrow the colours that are causing an issue:  Colours blue and brown are used for 1000Mbps connectivity, Orange and Green for 100Mbps,  to be clear you have to have all 4 pairs working to get full 1000Mbps rather than one or the other. so if there is a problem is most likely to do with the blue and or brown wires.

Link to colour code: http://softwaressolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/rj-45-11.gif

Hello, i've managed to borrow a network cable tester so I will be able to know if all the pairs are working. However, if the result is that at least one pair is not working I don't if I should replace the cable right ahead, Maybe there's a problem in the crimps?

I've found out I really need this gigabit connection... Opening and saving TIFF's  in photoshop takes foreeeever. Maybe i'd run two gigabits at once... Does anybody know if LACP works automatically between switches? 

Hello, i've managed to borrow a network cable tester so I will be able to know if all the pairs are working. However, if the result is that at least one pair is not working I don't if I should replace the cable right ahead, Maybe there's a problem in the crimps?

I've found out I really need this gigabit connection... Opening and saving TIFF's in photoshop takes foreeeever. Maybe i'd run two gigabits at once... Does anybody know if LACP works automatically between switches?

LACP works automatically ... After it's enabled on the ports from the switch's admin panel.

If you find one wire/pair is bad in any way, you can reterminate the ends with new jacks to try to fix it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Does anybody know if LACP works automatically between switches? 

The switch needs to support LACP, most managed switches do, and the NIC in the NAS will need to support it as well. However, this will not give you 2gbps file transfers, what it does is allow you to have two computers each do 1gbps to the NAS at the same time if the drives in the NAS are fast enough for it.

The switch needs to support LACP, most managed switches do, and the NIC in the NAS will need to support it as well. However, this will not give you 2gbps file transfers, what it does is allow you to have two computers each do 1gbps to the NAS at the same time if the drives in the NAS are fast enough for it.

It's a unmanaged switch, cheap, TP-LINK, haven't had a problem with it but it's not very fancy...

Doesn't matter, my NAS has only one gigabit port