Hows my database design?

AustinB

I'm no expert on Database schemas but I did notice you're not storing a salt for your users' passwords? Might be a good idea.

Just looking for someone who has experience designing databases to review my schema. Thanks

DLsM0Lb.png

I'm doing a class in SQL and Database design in a college-level course for highschool; let me take a look and i'll do my best to get back to you. Do you happen to have any notes for the database I can look at? If it's confidential I understand.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Seems ok, but I dont think you need the completed_auctions table. Its redundant and it will make harder to develop an application.

I'm no expert on Database schemas but I did notice you're not storing a salt for your users' passwords? Might be a good idea.

Assuming he's using bcrypt or scrypt, there is no need for a dedicated field as the salt is concatenation into the resulting hash.

See here for a description of bcrypt hashes: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6832445/how-can-bcrypt-have-built-in-salts

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Seems ok, but I dont think you need the completed_auctions table. Its redundant and it will make harder to develop an application.

I was thinking for the future, save on query times on the active_auctions tables as, the "bids" and "active_auctions" tables with be consistantly be being updated, read, and written to. Thanks for the input, the OP was rushed as it was 2AM.

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

I'm doing a class in SQL and Database design in a college-level course for highschool; let me take a look and i'll do my best to get back to you. Do you happen to have any notes for the database I can look at? If it's confidential I understand.

What kind of information would help you in evaluating the database?

I plan on writing the notes for myself today.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

This, I would simply use an "auctions" table and add an "is_sold" boolean to it. (or something similar.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Assuming he's using bcrypt or scrypt, there is no need for a dedicated field as the salt is concatenation into the resulting hash.

See here for a description of bcrypt hashes: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6832445/how-can-bcrypt-have-built-in-salts

Ahh, fair enough. I was not familiar with how crypt worked. I have only really seen it implemented as separate fields.

not enough normalization...

You can merge the "street" fields together in a single 64 char string.

What context will this be used for?

not enough normalization...

You can merge the "street" fields together in a single 64 char string.

What context will this be used for?

Attempting to build a website like:

quibids.com

When you first mentioned not enough normalization what were you going to refer to?

Attempting to build a website like:

quibids.com

When you first mentioned not enough normalization what were you going to refer to?

A few redundant fields...

Will the users of the site be the ones posting the stuff for auction? If so you should change that part of the schema...

as for the inventory table, I think that it would be wiser to put the item details under it rather than under the auction_template table and drop the auction_template table altogether as its function can easily be replaced by a webform that stores data through an auction table...

You can merge active_auction and completed_auction into auction by adding a boolean field 'completed'...

this is just my 2-cents since I haven't touched database design for half a year...

A few redundant fields...

Will the users of the site be the ones posting the stuff for auction? If so you should change that part of the schema...

as for the inventory table, I think that it would be wiser to put the item details under it rather than under the auction_template table and drop the auction_template table altogether as its function can easily be replaced by a webform that stores data through an auction table...

You can merge active_auction and completed_auction into auction by adding a boolean field 'completed'...

this is just my 2-cents since I haven't touched database design for half a year...

I'm fairly confident that all the points you have mentioned here are because I the owner will be posting the auctions. If you look at the above post you'll see what kind of site I'm looking to build.