970 or 390

NicekillBG

Right now, for sure its a non issue. In the future, we'll see. People said 4GB was pointless a few years ago.

I remember people saying 2GB was more than enough for 1440p and that the 3GB on the 7970 was useless vs the 680. Who's laughing now?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If anyone is willing to send me their 970, I can test against my new 390! (I wont get it for a few days unfortunately, picked ground shipping and it was sent from across the country, ugh)

I'll also test every few months on new games and see which games outperform the others and various settings and texture resolutions with 1-3+ monitors! 2-4K too if anyone wants to donate one of those too! 

:D :D :D :D

I remember people saying 2GB was more than enough for 1440p and that the 3GB on the 7970 was useless vs the 680. Who's laughing now?

I shal (mis?)quote a classic:

If you build it, they will come.

Right now, for sure its a non issue. In the future, we'll see. People said 4GB was pointless a few years ago.

4g is the VRAM needed to play modern games, and what you find on midrange to upper GPU's. That's the issue. Developers develop for what's out there. No developer is going to develop a game only 390 users can access. Never going to happen.

Now, if the next series of GPU has that memory available you have to use your crystal ball to guess if the 390 will be able to keep up.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

BTW - Nvidia selling TressFX. I am waiting for this to backfire
http://www.eteknix.com/rise-tomb-raider-will-bundled-nvidia-geforce-gpus/

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

4g is the VRAM needed to play modern games, and what you find on midrange to upper GPU's. That's the issue. Developers develop for what's out there. No developer is going to develop a game only 390 users can access. Never going to happen.

Now, if the next series of GPU has that memory available you have to use your crystal ball to guess if the 390 will be able to keep up.

512MB was overkill 8 years ago.

A time will come with 3.5GB is unusable.

Indeed. This is what I'm saying. It's possible that the extra ram will help in the future. Maybe. If the actual horsepower doesn't become a serious bottleneck.

512MB was overkill 8 years ago.

A time will come with 3.5GB is unusable.

Yes, no one in their right mind would argue otherwise. But in 3 years when the 390's memory is taken advantage of will it be enough to compete? I think not. It's a rebadge. Both the 390 and 970 are on the edge of usefulness.

Yes, no one in their right mind would argue otherwise. But in 3 years when the 390's memory is taken advantage of will it be enough to compete? I think not. It's a rebadge. Both the 390 and 970 are on the edge of usefulness.

I think it entirely depends on the user and their choice of games... But yeah, It may just be in a few years the raw performance won't be there for even 1080p 60fps gaming (on low/med even). I sure hope not. But I like to dream ;D

When they have competition, they charge less, and advance faster. It's shown through history. when AMD puts out a new card that actually pushes up against or pases an nvidia card, we immediately get a new nvidia card that slots into the right place, or they make an existing one cheaper.

It's just a fact. Same goes with intel. competition is a good thing. no competition is a bad thing.

Companies are perfectly happy to rest on their laurels milking each product as long as they possibly can.

nVidia still charges a premium over AMD and people have and still show they are willing to pay said premium over a cheaper alternative. If AMD is gone nVidia is not going to charge $800 dollars dollars for a 970 because people simply won't buy them. If AMD is gone nVidia will retain status quo with their pricing. They're just not gonna skyrocket their prices $500 dollars across the board. They'd quickly be out of business if they did that. Intel has a monopoly and still charge a fair price for the performance you get.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I think it entirely depends on the user and their choice of games... But yeah, It may just be in a few years the raw performance won't be there for even 1080p 60fps gaming (on low/med even). I sure hope not. But I like to dream ;D

I look at games like Just Cause 3, a game that looks identical on the console as the 390 and 970. Both have issues with the game.

And "shit port" does not apply. A graphics card's job is to play the games you want to play, not to decide the games you get to play.

We're in a sucky time right now. High resolution monitors are too expensive, and the best investment GPU wise are those meant specifically for higher resolution monitors. The best investment BY FAR in my opinion is the Nitro Fury.

nVidia still charges a premium over AMD and people have and still show they are willing to pay said premium over a cheaper alternative. If AMD is gone nVidia is not going to charge $800 dollars dollars for a 970 because people simply won't buy them. If AMD is gone nVidia will retain status quo with their pricing. They're just not gonna skyrocket their prices $500 dollars across the board. They'd quickly be out of business if they did that. Intel has a monopoly and still charge a fair price for the performance you get.

I don't actually believe that. Prices can and do increase when competition is low or stops. Not only would prices increase, but nvidia would slow down. Like intel does when they have noone to push them.

I look at games like Just Cause 3, a game that looks identical on the console as the 390 and 970. Both have issues with the game.

And "shit port" does not apply. A graphics card's job is to play the games you want to play, not to decide the games you get to play.

We're in a sucky time right now. High resolution monitors are too expensive, and the best investment GPU wise are those meant specifically for higher resolution monitors. The best investment BY FAR in my opinion is the Nitro Fury.

A shit port I suppose doesn't apply, but a shit game does ;) code a game badly, and it'll perform badly.

Nvidia and AMD have to patch their drivers to work around bad games all the time. It makes my blood boil. Why don't the game devs fix their shit? Cause noone makes them.

Course there are driver bugs too, but the majority of the driver "fixes" come down to games not being properly tested or optimized.

I don't actually believe that. Prices can and do increase when competition is low or stops. Not only would prices increase, but nvidia would slow down. Like intel does when they have noone to push them.

A shit port I suppose doesn't apply, but a shit game does ;) code a game badly, and it'll perform badly.

Nvidia and AMD have to patch their drivers to work around bad games all the time. It makes my blood boil. Why don't the game devs fix their shit? Cause noone makes them.

Course there are driver bugs too, but the majority of the driver "fixes" come down to games not being properly tested or optimized.

You can't put all the blame on the developers. But I too grind my teeth at night because somehow a driver is too much to ask for. And when you finally get it, rather than fixing the game it makes it worse. Beyond frustrating.

You can't put all the blame on the developers. But I too grind my teeth at night because somehow a driver is too much to ask for. And when you finally get it, rather than fixing the game it makes it worse. Beyond frustrating.

Yeah, there are driver issues too. AMDs driver team has historically been pretty awful. Nvidia not too much better in some cases. Specially on mobile. fffff.

Yeah, there are driver issues too. AMDs driver team has historically been pretty awful. Nvidia not too much better in some cases. Specially on mobile. fffff.

Can attest. One driver per year :D

Lol?

Because of nvidias virtual reality feature. Sorry for not stating. I thought a lot of people knew about it.

Because of nvidias virtual reality feature. Sorry for not stating. I thought a lot of people knew about it.

GameFucks VR? That's quite late actually. AMD has had LiquidVR for close to a year now.

Bruh, it' the other way around. AMD announced Liquid VR backk in March. Also this is from the horse's mouth who is working on Occulus:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-oculus-connect-vr-amd-nvidia,27729.html

According to Tom Forsyth, Oculus VR's Software Architect, this is a new enhancement for Nvidia GPUs that is already available in AMD graphics cards. In fact, some of these optimizations can be found in current Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4 platforms as part of their respective SDK. Why? Because they are based on AMD GPUs.

@App4that stop upvoting shit you don't know anything about because you've convinced yourself that other people are fanboys for calling out your BS.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Bruh, it' the other way around. AMD announced Liquid VR backk in March. Also this is from the horse's mouth who is working on Occulus:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/oculus-oculus-connect-vr-amd-nvidia,27729.html

@App4that stop upvoting shit you don't know anything about because you've convinced yourself that other people are fanboys for calling out your BS.

:lol: I'll like what I'll like and you have no control over then. And that's why I liked it, they're standing up to this forums bull shit religious infatuation with AMD.

You can't stand anyone not fawning over AMD, that's why you spend so much time trying to control people.

:lol: I'll like what I'll like and you have no control over then. And that's why I liked it, they're standing up to this forums bull shit religious infatuation with AMD.

You can't stand anyone not fawning over AMD, that's why you spend so much time trying to control people.

Wow, I must be a badass if I can control people. Also, apparently agreeing with things that aren't true = standing up to things you think are out to get you.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Wow, I must be a badass if I can control people. Also, apparently agreeing with things that aren't true = standing up to things you think are out to get you.

Why do people who want to control people always think they're in control :lol: ?

And you're on a PC message board sweetie, that means it's subjective. Which software suite is better is not up to you but the individual.

Why do people who want to control people always think they're in control :lol: ?

And you're on a PC message board sweetie, that means it's subjective. Which software suite is better is not up to you but the individual.

I'm not even sure what that 1st sentence means.

Yes, even it means made up shit like "Nvidia is better for VR"

970 for 1080p and better software.

Is this the text below my post?

970 for 1080p and better software.

I'd digress. Most of the software is mirrored pretty much to the letter except Nvidia have the better OBS rip-off