IDEA: The console you can build?

megadarkwood

So I was thinking of why people hate on Xbox/Playstation since I used to be a console gamer...

Here is what I came up with..

-You build your system

-Custom OS that is like a console "Dashboard"

It would technically be a HTPC with a custom OS like the steam box BUT some people don't know how to build their own computers, so there would be a system that is "Pre-Built" and has a custom case that looks like its a receiver box or something like that. So that people that don't know how to make a PC can buy a box and play with the people that built their own systems.

-Play exclusive games

-Still use the computer (Browse the web, skype .etc)

-Easy to use

-Looks good

Ideas?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I would just get a decent htpc to play games on my couch...

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

is that not just basically a steam box?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

This is essentially what the Steam Box would be. Exept you would probably not be able to use Skype or get many exclusive games.  

But don't you have to buy the system? Its not just a OS you can download right?

I would just get a decent htpc to play games on my couch...

The Idea is mostly a custom OS

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Steam Big Picture?

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

Steam Big Picture?

You can't use skype .etc while playing a game

Tab out

EDIT: Steam voice chat?

I think the plan was to have an OEM produce a standard Steam Box, but people would still be able to make their own Steam Box

An OS is extremely complex, so making one from scratch would be a very time consuming job. A Sream Box would probably have some sort of skined Linux Distro. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Why not? You can just tab out or use another monitor

I think the plan was to have an OEM produce a standard Steam Box, but people would still be able to make their own Steam Box

An OS is extremely complex, so making one from scratch would be a very time consuming job. A Sream Box would probably have some sort of skined Linux Distro. 

Of course. Everything is a skinned linux distro! 

I think the chat services need to be improved, theres too many to choose from and they all have their positives and negatives.

We need one really good service that everyone wants to use.

This would go a long way to making what you want possible.

Why not? You can just tab out or use another monitor

Think of the Skype integration on the Xbox One.

yeah man thats awsome but its basicly a computer :L 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

to further enhance "console" experiece you can get 360 controller

xbone controller will work on pc too :)

I think the chat services need to be improved, theres too many to choose from and they all have their positives and negatives.

We need one really good service that everyone wants to use.

This would go a long way to making what you want possible.

Maybe an integration of Razer Comms?

I played xbox at two of my friends so I would get the Microsoft wireless dongle, an xbox controller, 10M HDMI cable so I don't have to move my PC and for watching Youtube, I would get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad.

I'm actually planning to do so at some point, but currently I'm saving up my money for a graphics card upgrade and an SSD.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Maybe an integration of Razer Comms?

I actually think Comms is on the right track, just a shame its riddled with holes, but yeah a service that can be integrated with everything, Steam, Origin, standalone software, even Windows itself.

Microsoft are actually in the position to make this, Windows Live on a PC just doesn't quite cut it.

One of the things about consoles that attracts people, especially less technical people, is that you do not have to think about upgrades or minimum specs or keeping up with the curve.  You just need to find a game labelled "Xbox 360" or whatever, and it will work.  That's all there is to it.  If people were into building their own machines, and customizing the components and upgrading the performance, they wouldn't be on consoles, they'd have gone to PC long ago :)

I really don't understand why Microsoft didn't just create a custom windows edition for such a purpose. They could have used it on the Xbox and licensed it separately. It would also have allowed them to regularly update their console lineup for mass market giving them a competitive edge over Sony imo. All they would have to do is release a reference base model every 5 years (or whenever) and developers could target that as the minimum spec and add extra eye candy for higher end machines. It would not be hard to implement seeing as how its been done on PC for years. 

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I think that something like this could actually work if say Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo sold their propietary OS and firmware to people who build their own systems. Of course you'd probably need to buy specific disc readers (could be external!) but just imagin ewhat could be achieved, people with a £1000 budget would no longer be held back by those with a £500 budget, as consoles could have graphics levels just as a PC does.

Instead of a Standard Reference PS4 running BF4 @ 720p 60fps, you could have a Custom PS4 that could run it @ 1080p 60fps. As well as this, people could upgrade evry 2/3 years to squeeze the most out of the console capabilities.

If you ask "well what about compatibility, they'd have to design the games to work on loads of stuff", they already do for PC! All they would need to do is make the game work well on the Standard Xbox One/PS4 and then just make it run better on the better hardware!

When you play The Game of Thrones, you win or you die...

I think that something like this could actually work if say Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo sold their propietary OS and firmware to people who build their own systems. Of course you'd probably need to buy specific disc readers (could be external!) but just imagin ewhat could be achieved, people with a £1000 budget would no longer be held back by those with a £500 budget, as consoles could have graphics levels just as a PC does.

Instead of a Standard Reference PS4 running BF4 @ 720p 60fps, you could have a Custom PS4 that could run it @ 1080p 60fps. As well as this, people could upgrade evry 2/3 years to squeeze the most out of the console capabilities.

If you ask "well what about compatibility, they'd have to design the games to work on loads of stuff", they already do for PC! All they would need to do is make the game work well on the Standard Xbox One/PS4 and then just make it run better on the better hardware!

This is true, That is almost exactly what I was thinking of.

I really don't understand why Microsoft didn't just create a custom windows edition for such a purpose. They could have used it on the Xbox and licensed it separately. It would also have allowed them to regularly update their console lineup for mass market giving them a competitive edge over Sony imo. All they would have to do is release a reference base model every 5 years (or whenever) and developers could target that as the minimum spec and add extra eye candy for higher end machines. It would not be hard to implement seeing as how its been done on PC for years. 

I'm guessing they are going to want some sort of incentive for developing it, but the more I think about it now the more I actually want this.

They could easily make an Xbox like dashboard that can talk to all your programs and work seemlessly with their own controller.

Steam, Origin and Ubisoft etc arent going to complain, its profit for them too.