Weird concept

Colt_0pz

Imagine if you could double your bandwidth(not speed) by plugging in two cables to your router to the back of your pc if you have dual gigabit ethernet. (or is this already real?) also happy new years.

we wish it worked like that...

Imagine if you could double your bandwidth by plugging in two cables to your router to the back of your pc if you have dual gigabit ethernet. (or is this already real?) also happy new years.

Imagine if you could double your bandwidth by plugging in two cables to your router to the back of your pc if you have dual gigabit ethernet. (or is this already real?) also happy new years.

Only works for full duplex fibre optic.

EDIT: clarified things.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

ive always thought about this, i feel like logically it should for some reason.. like one connection handled half the packets and the other did the other half?

restarted my account

Imagine if you could double your bandwidth(not speed) by plugging in two cables to your router to the back of your pc if you have dual gigabit ethernet. (or is this already real?) also happy new years.

You can do something like that to increase the bandwidth if you want more throughout if the board allowed it or you had a dedicated NIC, it was showcased by Linus in the old NCIX videos:

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbq_gTqT5M-

Those features (NIC teaming/link aggregation/redundant links) are mostly available for enterprise grade hardware. You could go for a compatible PCIE multi-port card and a manageable switch (or at least a base function of using NIC teaming/link aggregation). Most home users won't have any use for those anyway.

I use link aggregation on my desktop to router. But I have it setup so that 1 is dedicated for down link and the second is a dedicated upload link. This only really helps slightly if you stream while gaming..

The amount of misinformation and lack-of-undertsanding of basic networking in this thread is astounding.

Basic reality of the situation is that you are limited based on your WAN connectivity, the amount of bandwidth your ISP is giving you. You can do all the link aggregation (which would literally make 0 difference by the way) and upgrades to "full duplex fibre" (full duplex means to send and receive at the same time, Ethernet already does this) that you want and it wouldn't matter. You could have 100Gbps LAN networking yet every-time you try to contact the outside world you would still be limited to whatever bandwidth your ISP has given you.

There's nothing fanciful about networking and there's no "simple trick" to getting a faster, more reliable and higher bandwidth connection. Unless you're talking money... because money can do that.

The amount of misinformation and lack-of-undertsanding of basic networking in this thread is astounding.

Basic reality of the situation is that you are limited based on your WAN connectivity, the amount of bandwidth your ISP is giving you. You can do all the link aggregation (which would literally make 0 difference by the way) and upgrades to "full duplex fibre" (full duplex means to send and receive at the same time, Ethernet already does this) that you want and it wouldn't matter. You could have 100Gbps LAN networking yet every-time you try to contact the outside world you would still be limited to whatever bandwidth your ISP has given you.

There's nothing fanciful about networking and there's no "simple trick" to getting a faster, more reliable and higher bandwidth connection. Unless you're talking money... because money can do that.

not for internet but lan speeds

not for internet but lan speeds

What are you actually going to use that extra speed for though? File transfers to a NAS? All devices in the chain would have to have link aggregation setup and then specifically optimized to give increased bandwidth for a one-to-one connection which not everything can do. In networking simply using brute force, 10Gb/40Gb/100Gb, actually works better unlike other areas of technology.

Directly connected 10Gb is actually far cheaper than buying the equipment required to make link aggregation work in this type of scenario and does actually work, link aggregation is not designed for this purpose.

abe237f07fc3c42b7d1b071b5e417ccf.jpg