What is Better a Optical or Laser Sensor and Why?

CeremonialSnips

Looking into a new mouse... what type of sensor is best for gaming (FPS and just general games like GTA, Fallout etc.)

Looking at a several Mionix, corsairs.... want to know what the difference between optical and laser and which is generally regarded as the superior sensor.

Here is the one mouse that I am seriously considering to go with: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ANIRU7U (Mionix NAOS 8200)

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

Looking into a new mouse... what type of sensor is best for gaming (FPS and just general games like GTA, Fallout etc.)

Looking at a several Mionix, corsairs.... want to know what the difference between optical and laser and which is generally regarded as the superior sensor?

generally laser, though it really depends on what surface youre using for a mousepad

Looking at a several Mionix, corsairs.... want to know what the difference between optical and laser and which is generally regarded as the superior sensor.

Laser has better tracking, though typically it has acceleration as well, whereas optical does not, but has poorer tracking.

My Corsair M65 that has a laser sensor however has no acceleration from what I've seen, and tracks wonderfully.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

generally laser, though it really depends on what surface youre using for a mousepad

I use hard surface mouse pads.

The Black Friday Rig: 

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

Laser has better tracking, though typically it has acceleration as well, whereas optical does not, but has poorer tracking.

My Corsair M65 that has a laser sensor however has no acceleration from what I've seen, and tracks wonderfully.

I loved my M65...wheel broke. Same with my M60. Fit my hand perfectly, dam wheels :(

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

I loved my M65...wheel broke. Same with my M60. Fit my hand perfectly, dam wheels :(

My middle click on it's dying, as are the back and forwards buttons.. :/

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

My middle click on it's dying, as are the back and forwards buttons.. :/

If Corsair fixes the quality i will definitly buy another. I havent found another mouse that fits my hand as good as it does. Using a Gamdias Hades right now, its 'ok'.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

basically Linus's video is dated. They both function very similarly and can perform extremely well. Infact the highest end laser sensor and the 2nd and 3rd highest end optical sensors are physically identical, differentiated by their software, fps, and whether they are illuminated by laser or led. They both take pictures of the surface and compare them. However laser sensors' pictures collect data from beneath the surface of cloth mouspads which is detrimental to their performance on cloth mouspads leading to worse performance. Laser sensors  don't perform well on cloth mouspads usually causing them to have more speed related variance, commonly referred to as acceleration. With the popularity of cloth mouspads in the enthusiast market, the latest enthusiast sensors have been optical, not laser. So the best sensor currently available is optical. So basically, if you're going to use laser, just make sure not to use a cloth mouspad. Don't feel compelled to use laser, it isn't better than optical at tracking at all.

basically Linus's video is dated. They both function very similarly and can perform extremely well. Infact the highest end laser sensor and the 2nd and 3rd highest end optical sensors are physically identical, differentiated by their software, fps, and whether they are illuminated by laser or led. They both take pictures of the surface and compare them. However laser sensors' pictures collect data from beneath the surface of cloth mouspads which is detrimental to their performance on cloth mouspads leading to worse performance. Laser sensors  don't perform well on cloth mouspads usually causing them to have more speed related variance, commonly referred to as acceleration. With the popularity of cloth mouspads in the enthusiast market, the latest enthusiast sensors have been optical, not laser. So the best sensor currently available is optical. So basically, if you're going to use laser, just make sure not to use a cloth mouspad. Don't feel compelled to use laser, it isn't better than optical at tracking at all.

So what your saying is that the Mionix NAOS 8200 http://www.amazon.ca/Mionix-NAOS-8200-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00ANIRU7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451704996&sr=8-2&keywords=Mionix

will be fine for FPS games (no noticeable acceleration) if I use hard surface mouse pads which is my preferred option?

Considering I have wide and short hand I am really liking the ergonomic design of the NAOS models.... something that typical mice lack as I constantly find the right side of my hand almost getting in the way of mice movement.

The Black Friday Rig: 

I don't agree with most of the above. You basically want a mouse with no acceleration, no jitter and no smoothing and high failure speeds (>2m/s) at the very least. Almost no mice on the market today do all three and certainly there isn't a laser sensor I know of that eliminates these. Today there are two sensors I know of that are near flawless in tracking and they are the Avago 3090 and the Avago 3310 and they are both optical. The G502 is considered flawless as well but I don't think its sensor is in anything else yet.

Its these two sensors that underpin Mionix's introduction into the market and why they became popular, all of Zowie's for years and years and a handful of other mice from other companies. Just choosing on the sensor isn't sufficient because the quality of the switches and the shape and how you grip it all matters but I wouldn't go outside those 3 sensors yet. Maybe soon companies will start taking this seriously but most "gamer" mice are actually terrible for gaming.

So what your saying is that the Mionix NAOS 8200 http://www.amazon.ca/Mionix-NAOS-8200-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00ANIRU7U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451704996&sr=8-2&keywords=Mionix

will be fine for FPS games (no noticeable acceleration) if I use hard surface mouse pads which is my preferred option?

Considering I have wide and short hand I am really liking the ergonomic design of the NAOS models.... something that typical mice lack as I constantly find the right side of my hand almost getting in the way of mice movement.

yes, it should be fine, you could also use the naos 7000 model which uses the 3310 sensor which is practically identical to the 9800 sensor in the 8200 but with a LED light source that works better on a wider variety of surfaces. But yeah, if you're certain you prefer hard surfaces then the 9800 sensor is fine and the naos 8200 should be fine.

I don't agree with most of the above. You basically want a mouse with no acceleration, no jitter and no smoothing and high failure speeds (>2m/s) at the very least. Almost no mice on the market today do all three and certainly there isn't a laser sensor I know of that eliminates these. Today there are two sensors I know of that are near flawless in tracking and they are the Avago 3090 and the Avago 3310 and they are both optical. The G502 is considered flawless as well but I don't think its sensor is in anything else yet.

Its these two sensors that underpin Mionix's introduction into the market and why they became popular, all of Zowie's for years and years and a handful of other mice from other companies. Just choosing on the sensor isn't sufficient because the quality of the switches and the shape and how you grip it all matters but I wouldn't go outside those 3 sensors yet. Maybe soon companies will start taking this seriously but most "gamer" mice are actually terrible for gaming.

it is indisputable that every comparative image sensor has acceleration, it is an inherent flaw in the way the sensors function that can only be reduced, never eliminated, that includes the 3090, the 3310, and the 3366 in the g502. Granted the 3366 and the s3988 in particular have done a hell of a job minimizing it. Many sensors don't have smoothing. And most sensors won't have jitter if you use a low enough DPI on an appropriate surface.