Logitech G633 & G933 Review

Logitech G633

Amazon: http://geni.us/1AzD

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1PweFOm

Logitech G933

Amazon: http://geni.us/2kXj

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Vp4VpH

Logitech claims that their new gaming headsets, the G633 & G933, are a cut above the competition when it comes to sound quality. Does Luke agree?

no audio sample ?

oh nvm it just was not on vessel

is it just becoming a "publish now - fix later" platform for the videos ?

perhaps I have to re-watch all the videos on youtube now ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

A lot of hype around these headsets, eh?

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

A lot of hype around these headsets, eh?

they are kind of good. better than my old p11's or my monitor speaker for sure xD

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

no audio sample ?

I wouldn't say that at all. I can probably count on two hands the number of times we've changed something significant between the Vessel & YouTube releases...

I wouldn't say that at all. I can probably count on two hands the number of times we've changed something significant between the Vessel & YouTube releases...

That's the cool part of "early access" - getting to see changes/improvements.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

I couldn't help but applaud after that mic test :P

Edited by Section35

Hiya :)

Feel free to quote me in a reply so I can see your reply :)

You didnt go over audio quality. Some of my friends have the cheaper wired headsets from logitech and they sound like complete crap for music or games. Maybe its because im spoiled by my open ear headphones (Samson SR850). I dont know how people stand to be fed 60 dollar and up headsets that sound like crap just because they are labeled gaming and are from a certain company. My headphones are 46 dollars on amazon and i highly recommend them. You probably have never heard of the brand Samson either. The 7.1 surround sounds un natural for headphones, like the sound is 6 feet away from you. I guess thats the point with surround sound speakers but you have 2 ears for a reason and can tell direction with 2 channels just fine. If you need a mic get a desktop one or a stick on lav. If you need macros get a gaming keyboard.

Anyway, im not completely judging this particular model because i have not experienced it, but i know the cheaper ones ($60 and below) are crap like a lot of gaming headsets such as turtle beach. Maybe the high price point gives them better sound and not just pretty lights and the other features. If you want audio quality you can get high quality headphones that are less than half the price and spend the rest on something like a Blue Yeti.

50494536622.png

At the end of the video Luke implies that he was too harsh on the G633/933, but I think it wasn't harsh enough. There are some clear issues with the headset besides it falling off of your head (personally I haven't experienced this problem, but everyone's different).

For example, the most annoying issue with the G933 that was not mentioned in the video is the auto sleep mode. After 5 minutes of no sound while in wireless mode, the headset will turn itself off until you press a button. You could be chatting on VoIP and have a few minutes of silence and never know that people are talking until someone sends an angry message asking where the hell you were when they needed something important. I wouldn't mind as much if it turned back on when a sound starts playing again or an option to disable the feature; heck it could even have a beep or something to warn you that the mic is going into sleep mode so you can push a button. So far though Logitech seems to be putting it's blinders on like it did with the G930 issue a couple of months ago.

Personally Luke I dont think you where hard enough on the headsets.

I can speak from experience in regards logitech wireless headset as I have the G930.

The software support is well well well below acceptable with some issues not being address for 4 sometimes 5 updates.

Not to mention that the wireless dongle when inserted too close to a USB 3.0 port that is being used will cause the signal to drop in and out.

Not worth the price you pay no matter how good they may sound. 

One of the biggest issues with Wireless Voice monitoring headsets that was skipped over in the video is RF noise picked up by Boom mics which is amplified by the voice monitoring feedback in wireless mode...

Logitech F540. Turtlebeach 500p, and astro A50 are effected by RF noise pick up resulting in the requirement to mute mic circuits when video watching dramatic quite movies...

The Power save sleep function is a energy saving requirement handed down in laws in EU on wireless devices including headsets..

Turtlebeach, steelseries, logitech all have auto power off on their wireless headsets... Its to protect users from devices that would drain the batteries dead as not all devices use rechargeable built in batteries...

The logitech headsets may work on Console via USB but they are not supporting console as there is no Optical or HDMI input for the consoles... unlike other brands that now support HDMI or optical input...

Rival brand base station with HDMI in and out...

katana_002.jpg

There not true multi platform but that is not surprising as logitech dumped true console support as it was loss making for them... 

No Multi Device connection base station either just a rubbish USB RF dongle... is very poor for that price...

I'm actually pretty interested in that sound mixing feature, but not enough to spend that much on headphones.

Short of building a mixing setup on my desk, is there any other way of getting this functionality?

Surprised you didn't mention all the issues with the 5 minute sleep that there are multipage threads about on Logitechs forums or the horrendous pop you get when waking them up or the lack of charge indication while plugged in.

They sound great but are a hard recommendation for the price when they have some pretty glaring issues that should be easy to fix but they just don't seem to care about post launch support... even the G930s still have the side tone setting issue which should be a 5minute fix...

Although I will say I've never had an issue with them falling off my head, they sit very snug on me.

Does logitech have any intention of releasing new plates?

Surprised you didn't mention all the issues with the 5 minute sleep that there are multipage threads about on Logitechs forums or the horrendous pop you get when waking them up or the lack of charge indication while plugged in.

They sound great but are a hard recommendation for the price when they have some pretty glaring issues that should be easy to fix but they just don't seem to care about post launch support... even the G930s still have the side tone setting issue which should be a 5minute fix...

Although I will say I've never had an issue with them falling off my head, they sit very snug on me.

Since Logitech moved to Logitech Gaming Software (LGS) as their unified software utility things have been lacking to put it politely. A good personal example of this for me is the G700 (non-s) that I've had since I first built my custom PC and cannot find something better yet. I prefer the original SetPoint (V6.32) software for it because using Windows mouse speed control for this mouse is insane. SetPoint allows disabling the OS native drivers and overriding them in the software. This in turn allows smoother aiming in games with camera control bound to the mouse no matter what DPI you use. This feature lacking in LGS makes the mouse itself nearly obsolete in gaming unless you uninstall and use SetPoint.

Does logitech have any intention of releasing new plates?

They have not said so publicly. The intention here is to allow custom 3D-printed plates. They have released CADs of the default design for the plate to allow enthusiasts to create their own designs.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

no audio sample ?

The crux here was the Vessel upload wasn't a review at all. It was a product overview with a comedic skit on the heavy wireless headset falling off your head tilted back. The rather brief and vague critique of the audio quality should not be considered a quality review by any standard. In neither video was there talk of how well the software worked, how well laid out the buttons were, or how well implemented the stand-out features were. I did appreciate the addition of the mic quality sample, but how was this missed in the original take? It's seemingly a bigger concern lately than how the drivers sound.

Side-note: The mic sounds mediocre at best. The mic on my Arctic Sound P301 sounds better. For $250 I'ld expect mic quality in the realm of $100.

The crux here was the Vessel upload wasn't a review at all. It was a product overview with a comedic skit on the heavy wireless headset falling off your head tilted back. The rather brief and vague critique of the audio quality should not be considered a quality review by any standard. In neither video was there talk of how well the software worked, how well laid out the buttons were, or how well implemented the stand-out features were. I did appreciate the addition of the mic quality sample, but how was this missed in the original take? It's seemingly a bigger concern lately than how the drivers sound.

Side-note: The mic sounds mediocre at best. The mic on my Arctic Sound P301 sounds better. For $250 I'ld expect mic quality in the realm of $100.

Those are two good points I forgot to mention too, the button layout is worse than on the older G930 IMO mainly because when in a high back chair or lying in bed the volume knob, being on the bottom corner of the cup, is easy to knock but also because IMO it's harder to determine what button your pressing just by feel compared to when they were all laid out on the front of the cup on the G930 and the mic was a disappointment for me, its about the same as the old G930 IMO but with all the extra effort put into the speaker drivers and the extra cost of the set I was really hoping for a decent mic this time round.

I wonder if I can. but i ill have to test it out. if you can modify the sound settings for the mic with the logitech software

Those are two good points I forgot to mention too, the button layout is worse than on the older G930 IMO mainly because when in a high back chair or lying in bed the volume knob, being on the bottom corner of the cup, is easy to knock but also because IMO it's harder to determine what button your pressing just by feel compared to when they were all laid out on the front of the cup on the G930 and the mic was a disappointment for me, its about the same as the old G930 IMO but with all the extra effort put into the speaker drivers and the extra cost of the set I was really hoping for a decent mic this time round.

The mic is at the minimum mediocre. It's yet another 100Hz minimum response that veils the bassy undertones of most voices which will always make it sound like just-another-headset-mic. If they had gone with a 50Hz or less minimum pickup it would've sounded palatable, and worthwhile compared to most headset mics. Reason I pointed at a $20 (non-gaming branded) headset having a better mic, and obfuscated the fact its 50mm drivers are actually impressive for the price too. The Arctic Sound P301 is par for me and less than a handful of headsets match it in terms of performance for the cost.

The buttons seem gimmicky to me to be honest, but that's my personal bias and taste. I wouldn't have a use for them at all, but someone else might. They could be mapped to media-player controls. The volume knob was done best by Sennhieser on their enthusiast headsets. Both functions however become redundant and near useless when your keyboard has those functions too.

I wonder if I can. but i ill have to test it out. if you can modify the sound settings for the mic with the logitech software

Don't forget about Windows audio settings. The vast majority of negative reviews on Amazon and Newegg stem from not tuning both Windows and device utility settings. Also true of sound quality reviews for many headsets too.

The only headset mics that sound good to me (bassy voice) are typically 50Hz minimum response or less. So rare is the 50Hz or less that my options for acceptable headset mics to even test let alone wind up using regularly are quite limited. I loath the ModMic for this reason, but now they have a 10Hz minimum response omni-directional I'ld like to try.