What Antivirus is the best?

PyroBlast13
Go to solution Solved by Kiyuubi,

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much. This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

Yourself

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Imo the best combo:

Avast + Malwarebytes + common sense.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yourself. Don't click on dodgy links. Don't use dodgy sites. Have some common sense.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So here soon I will be building a Gaming Computer and I was wondering what would be the best lightweight antivirus to get?

The Linus and Luke approved combo, Microsoft security essentials (free with windows), super anti-spyware (free edition) and Malwarebytes anti-malware (free edition). Use these, update them and don't go crazy on the interwebs and you'll be good. I scan my windows machines with super anti-spyware once a week just to get rid of those pesky trackers and scan with the others once a month if I remember.

Edit: this is ofc if you need them at all, any traditional anti-virus solutions are pretty useless today, a virus is pretty rare tbh, not like it used to be.

Security Essentials + Malwarebytes + Common sense, this gets it done 99% of the time.

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

I only use norton cuz i get it free.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I think we really need a sticky on this, or recommend software in general. This question is asked too much. This thread should be a sticky, but of course, should be audited for errors and such beforehand..

That aside:

For free AV you should either get Avira or Bitdefender. Bitdefender is more lightweight, but it doesn't give you many options in terms of control or how it works.

If you want a paid one then either Bitdefender or Kaspersky. I would probably go with Kaspersky just for the fact that their team has found a lot of security issues in the past. You can also check out AVTEST, a third-party company that rates AVs. (Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the top 2)

You will also want to scan your computer weekly, or whatever amount of time you are comfortable with, with Malwarebytes. Just to be clear, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV, nor should it be used like one. So do not run it along side your AV, only use it is a scanner. Make sure to not accept the trial it offers, and to disable it on startup.

I've stuck with Windows Defender for some time and I really haven't had any problems. Sometimes there are really tricky malware that can get into your system, and for that MalwareBytes Anti-malware (which is an on-demand scanner if you don't go pro) solves it.