What DAC/Amp should I get

Bordermick

So my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's 250 ohm came in today and they sound amazing, but only when I plug them into my stereo which seems to drive them very well. The volume goes very high and they have very heavy bass. The problem is when I plug them into my PC it does not sound as great, the bass is MUCH weaker and the volume will not go nearly as high. So my question is, what would be a good DAC/Amp to drive these headphones properly so they sound the same as when I plug them into my stereo, any help would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around $100 CAD for this, but it is flexible.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

I suggest the Schiit Magni 2. Don't waste money on a DAC at this budget, particularly the mediocre Fiio/SMSL/Micca/Monoprice stuff, unless you have noise or interference issues with onboard audio.

I suggest the Schiit Magni 2. Don't waste money on a DAC at this budget, particularly the mediocre Fiio/SMSL/Micca/Monoprice stuff, unless you have noise or interference issues with onboard audio.

Actually, yeah I do have constant static coming from my on board audio when no sound is coming through.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

Actually, yeah I do have constant static coming from my on board audio when no sound is coming through.

What motherboard do you have? Asus Xonar DGX will clear that up. Won't sound amazing doing it, but it will do it.

What motherboard do you have? Asus Xonar DGX will clear that up. Won't sound amazing doing it, but it will do it.

Asus Sabertooth X79

Asus Sabertooth X79

Doesn't appear to have a headphone out. You've tried both the front and back jacks, I assume?

Doesn't appear to have a headphone out. You've tried both the front and back jacks, I assume?

Yeah, they both have the static.

Yeah, they both have the static.

Possibly relevant: https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=SABERTOOTH+X79&id=20120313220936497&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Have you installed drivers for that Marvell SATA controller? Maybe try disabling unused components of your motherboard in the BIOS (after uninstalling drivers, if any). I like to eliminate driver/BIOS issues before jumping to conclusions about needing to buy a shitty soundcard.

Possibly relevant: https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=SABERTOOTH+X79&id=20120313220936497&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Have you installed drivers for that Marvell SATA controller? Maybe try disabling unused components of your motherboard in the BIOS (after uninstalling drivers, if any). I like to eliminate driver/BIOS issues before jumping to conclusions about needing to buy a shitty soundcard.

Alright, Ill try this now.

I removed the realtek audio driver (I still have sound because win10 already has the drivers installed I think) and the marvell driver. So far so good, I think you fixed my problem :D

So should I just go for that first amp you posted? AFAIK all a DAC does is take the digital signal and convert it to analog, so if my onboard is not giving me any problems, all I need is an amp?

I removed the realtek audio driver (I still have sound because win10 already has the drivers installed I think) and the marvell driver. So far so good, I think you fixed my problem :D

So should I just go for that first amp you posted? AFAIK all a DAC does is take the digital signal and convert it to analog, so if my onboard is not giving me any problems, all I need is an amp?

Correct.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So should I just go for that first amp you posted? AFAIK all a DAC does is take the digital signal and convert it to analog, so If my onboard is not giving me any problems, all I need is an amp?

Good to hear the driver uninstall worked. And yes, assuming on-board is in business, you'll get the most mileage out of a good amp. Best bet is to order direct from the Schiit website - failing that, I'd fall back on the SMSL DAC+amp.

Good to hear the driver uninstall worked. And yes, assuming on-board is in business, you'll get the most mileage out of a good amp. Best bet is to order direct from the Schiit website - failing that, I'd fall back on the SMSL DAC+amp.

Alrighty, Thank you so much for all the help!