Windows 7 vs Windows 10 - fps in games

nm76

Hello. I have an Windows 7 x64 Ultimate . Is any sense to update to Windows 10  I want more fps. It will improve or not?

8gb ram

Slightly.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yes, DX12,

Even if you upgrade to 8.1 performance will improve...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Hello. I have an Windows 7 x64 Ultimate . Is any sense to update to Windows 10  I want more fps. It will improve or not?

8gb ram

well windows 8 improved it by about 2fps then yes if you want like 5fps more sure go ahead in theory it should improve it.

I noticed it, but I have a bad gpu anyways so im not going to say I got 5fps because it was probably more like 2, but with a better gpu it might be more.

it should a tinsee bit (10 uses less system resources than 7), but that's not why you should want to upgrade (or downgrade as some would say).

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

As far as apples to apples comparison goes (DX11) it will be a very slight improvement. There is a few FPS gains, but it's not like you'll notice it.

"Rawr XD"

Most people will say DX12 is the reason Windows 10 is better, but nothing uses it. So Windows 7 is a better choice

Yes

Watch these videos

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Ok last question. If i have installed nvidia drivers on my current windows 7 and when i update to windows 10 i must install again drivers yes? Update not format my disk?

Not any fps difference worth the upgrade. DX12 still isn't a factor yet so I wouldn't worry

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If i choose to not delete all my files after update to windows 10 , i must then install again GPU drivers or not?

The best performance to worst performance for gaming is: Windows 8.1 (best), Windows 7 (second best), Windows 10 (third place).

There is variance in FPS change from game to game, between Windows 7, 8, and 10. Some games will see a slight boost in performance on one OS versus the other, while other games will see a slight loss in performance between the same OSes. On average, there is a slight loss in gaming and application performance when going from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and both Windows 7 and 8(.1) are better for gaming performance than Windows 10.

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 application performance:

Windows 7 versus 8 versus 10 gaming performance:

The conclusion from the above gaming benchmark comparison states: "Most of you guys might have already expected that, in the case of gaming performance, the three operating systems aren’t worlds apart. Nevertheless it is interesting to see that there are some actual differences. As you can see by the results gathered during our testing, Windows 8.1 is producing the highest frame rates. On second place there is Windows 7 and Windows 10 comes in third."

Also, Windows 7 will receive Vulkan support, which accomplishes the same low level communication between drivers and hardware that is the point of DirectX 12, and most all popular 3D game engine developers have already pledged to support Vulkan.

Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is not the best idea, if the goal is to achieve the best performance.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

The best performance to worst performance for gaming is: Windows 8.1 (best), Windows 7 (second best), Windows 10 (third place).

[...]

Every time it is the exact same story. Including Windows 8 performing worst than Windows 7 when Windows 8 was out, but now it isn't the case, how strange. well it isn't. It is once again, sites rushing out benchmarks from a day 1 release of an OS, where manufacture has just released their unoptimized, still has issues, drivers. Takes time for manufacture to optimize drivers, it isn't a magic button you hit and voila, now you get amazing performance.

Also, Windows 7 will receive Vulkan support, which accomplishes the same low level communication between drivers and hardware that is the point of DirectX 12, and most all popular 3D game engine developers have already pledged to support Vulkan.

Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is not the best idea, if the goal is to achieve the best performance.

Vulkan cannot run DirectX 12 games. Or any DirectX game for that matter. OpenGL/Vulkan and DirectX are completely distinct, following 2 different school of thought. You also need a GPU compatible for Vulkan to use it. So far we know current graphics card support SOME DirectX 12 features, and the latest current series models from AMD and Nvidia support it in full. As for Vulkan we know nothing.

Ok last question. If i have installed nvidia drivers on my current windows 7 and when i update to windows 10 i must install again drivers yes? Update not format my disk?

The drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1/10 are different. So yep, you need to get a new set of drivers after your upgrade (probably just for your GPU since most other peripherals have built-in drivers in 10). And yes, if you want to keep your files during installation either use Upgrade or select the same partition you currently have Windows 7 installed as your target drive for Win 10.

Every time it is the exact same story. Including Windows 8 performing worst than Windows 7 when Windows 8 was out, but now it isn't the case, how strange. well it isn't. It is once again, sites rushing out benchmarks from a day 1 release of an OS, where manufacture has just released their unoptimized, still has issues, drivers. Takes time for manufacture to optimize drivers, it isn't a magic button you hit and voila, now you get amazing performance.

It isn't the same, as Windows 10 hasn't become the better performing OS for games, and I don't recall Windows 8 ever being said to perform worse than Windows 7 in performance (only compatibility).

The Project Cars benchmark in the above posted video is using DirectX 12, and so it isn't a benchmark of Windows 10 versus 7, but of DirectX 12 versus DirectX 11. Most games do not support DirectX 12 at this time, and going forward, it is possible that Vulkan will receive the greater support from developers. And I've read that GTA V has DirectX 12 support, whether Rockstar has enabled it already or not I don't know, and whether it is running in the above video benchmark I don't know.

Vulkan cannot run DirectX 12 games. Or any DirectX game for that matter. OpenGL/Vulkan and DirectX are completely distinct, following 2 different school of thought. You also need a GPU compatible for Vulkan to use it. So far we know current graphics card support SOME DirectX 12 features, and the latest current series models from AMD and Nvidia support it in full. As for Vulkan we know nothing.

DirectX 12 cannot run Vulkan games, and non Windows 10 Windows OSes with Vulkan support can still run DirectX games, so the point is moot.

We actually know quite a bit regarding Vulkan. It's final specs have been released, and just about every major PC 3D game engine developer (Epic / Unreal 4, Unity 5, DICE /  Frostbite, Valve / Source 2, and more) has announced that they will support Vulkan and DirectX 12, with Valve even going so far as to say that it doesn't really make sense for a game developer to support DirectX 12, since it is Windows 10 exclusive, while Vulkan is for every OS.

Vulkan is not a continuation of OpenGL, but a new API.

In the past DirectX outgrew OpenGL, because it continued to receive updates while OpenGL stagnated, and the documentation for DirectX became better and better, and it became easier and easier to implement with games - while at the same time, OpenGL didn't progress, and so it was left behind. That isn't the case with Vulkan, and Vulkan is releasing with as good support as DirectX 12, and has the major advantage of being multi-platform, and has the backing a huge amount of the games industry.

328c0380-9c59-4d0e-a661-d7c88986c23e.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

It isn't the same, Windows 10 hasn't become the better performing OS for games, and I don't recall Windows 8 ever being said to perform worse than Windows 7 in performance (only compatibility).

It did. I recall long discussions on this.

The Project Cars benchmark in the above posted video is using DirectX 12, and so it isn't a benchmark of Windows 10 versus 7, but DirectX 12 versus DirectX 11. Most games do not support DirectX 12 at this time, and going forward, it is possible that Vulkan will receive the greater support from developers. And I've read that GTA V has DirectX 12 support, whether Rockstar has enabled it already or not I don't know, and whether it is running in the above video benchmark I don't know.

I never talked about the videos above.. but ok.

DirectX 12 cannot run Vulkan games, and non Windows 10 Windows OSes with Vulkan support can still run DirectX games, so the point is moot.

Correct. So why did you say otherwise, suggesting that Vulkan will handle DirectX 12 games?

We actually know quite a bit regarding Vulkan. It's final specs have been released, and just about every major PC 3D game engine developer (Unreal 4, Unity 5, Frostbite, Source 2, and more) has announced that they will support Vulkan and DirectX 12, with Valve even going so far as to say that it doesn't really make sense for a game developer to support DirectX 12, since it is Windows 10 exclusive, while Vulkan is for every OS.

Never said we didn't. I said that your need compatible GPUs with it.

In the past DirectX outgrew OpenGL, because it continued to receive updates while OpenGL stagnated, and the documentation for DirectX became better and better, and it became easier and easier to implement with games - while at the same time, OpenGL didn't progress, and so it was left behind. That isn't the case with Vulkan, and Vulkan is releasing with as good support as DirectX 12, and has the major advantage of being multi-platform, and has the backing a huge amount of the games industry.

No need to give me the story.

Ease of programming is important factor. While I can't comment on Vulkan, OpenGL is a pain in the ass to program especially for new comers due to the complete lack of quality documentation, and resources, and difficult debug and understand what is happening on the back on the GPU. OpenGL doesn't allow this, while DirectX allows this. This is why DirectX is so strong today. Games still being made in DirectX. Yes OpenGL is multi platform, it runs on Android (OpenGL ES), but PC games are too demanding for smartphones. So gaming devs don't care. And as for Linux based OSs on the PC market, it isn't really gaining ground to justify the additional cost of developement in OpenGL (harder to train developers, takes more development time due to lack of tools, requires more experts costing more money, as it is difficult to optimize code as it is difficult to do performance profiles).

At work we use OpenGL, if you wonder. And the only reason is that the whole thing started for Linux back ages ago. But porting to DirectX is always talked about every now and then. Not sure it will ever come to this point, as it is a massive undertaking. (Engine is in house).

I never talked about the videos above.. but ok.

No, but your implication that it is a given that Windows 10 is going to become a better performer than earlier Windows OSes should be based on some example, for it to be made, and I don't really see one. I've just done a brief google search for gaming performance between Windows 7 and 8 from the 2012 - 2013 period, and what I saw was people saying there isn't really a difference between the two, or that Windows 8 (and sometimes 7) performs negligibly better. So things haven't changed there, and if that example is applied to Windows 10 versus 7 and 8...

Correct. So why did you say otherwise, suggesting that Vulkan will handle DirectX 12 games?

I didn't mean to, and I'm not sure that I did.

Never said we didn't. I said that your need compatible GPUs with it.
The same thing goes for DirectX 12. Any graphics card released in the last 4+ years should have OpenGL 4.X support, and be ready to work with Vulkan.

No need to give me the story.

Ease of programming is important factor. While I can't comment on Vulkan, OpenGL is a pain in the ass to program especially for new comers due to the complete lack of quality documentation, and resources, and difficult debug and understand what is happening on the back on the GPU. OpenGL doesn't allow this, while DirectX allows this. This is why DirectX is so strong today. Games still being made in DirectX. Yes OpenGL is multi platform, it runs on Android (OpenGL ES), but PC games are too demanding for smartphones. So gaming devs don't care.

Yes, but the same regarding a lack of documentation and the difficulty with product implementation presumably isn't true regarding Vulkan. There will already be back-end Vulkan support throughout the game engine industry for developers to make use of, and I'm going to guess that there will be thorough documentation of Vulkan. That already wipes out DirectX's historical advantage. Add to that Vulkan's multi-platform, and open source qualities, and there becomes a question of why (speaking tentatively ahead of things playing out) somebody would choose DirectX 12 over Vulkan.

You already mentioned why DirectX become favoured over OpenGL, but those factors aren't present this time around, at least so far. And that OpenGL, nevertheless, is still widely used, if only because of its multi-platform capability, demonstrates just how powerful an advantage multi-platform capability is. Imagine its influence when all other things are equal.

One other thing which I think is a boon for Vulkan, is that Valve now has its own OS, which cannot make use of DirectX 12, being Linux-based, and is already preparing for Vulkan.

Microsoft pushed development of DirectX, amongst other reasons, to retain its dominance within the games industry. While DirectX is proprietary to Microsoft, there's no premier benefactor for OpenGL. Steam OS makes Valve a direct competitor to Microsoft, and Vulkan their leverage.

Valve is an extremely-lucrative, dominant, privately-owned company which is in full control of what it does, and how it goes about doing it, and some people say that Valve doesn't know what to do with all their money. And indeed it must be difficult to find things to do with the amount of money which Valve generates, when it doesn't act like a typical corporation buying up everything in sight. I think that Valve, one of Vulkan's forefront proponents, has the means, and want to see Vulkan developed healthily, and competitively to DirectX.

It's like how PC gaming, being non-proprietary, had no one to argue its case during the 360 / PS3 generation, and even though its platform, power, and control options were all superior throughout that generation, it fell behind because no one was making its case, selling ads for it, getting its message across.

Valve's Steam platform changed all that by simply creating a centre for PC gaming, and for being very good for developers (giving them large profit margins, publishing options, and control over their own IPs compared with what they were used to and what they could get in the console sphere), and by being great for customers.

Now, on top of Vulkan already having functional and access advantages over DirectX, it also has THE major PC games industry leader behind it full force, and in outspoken direct competition to Microsoft and DirectX.