Which CPU is better

Wondering which is better the I5-4690K or the I5-6600K. The main purpose is to game but with some 3d model rendering for school.

neither

xeon e3 1231v3 if you can is better

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Of course the 6600K.

If you're doing 3D modeling/rendering, get a Xeon E3-1231 V3.

I used to be quite active here.

neither

6600K is better, but get a Xeon. Same price as an i5 and has hyper threading

Lower clockspeed, no Skylake features, no overclocking, no iGPU for troubleshooting.... up to the owner, don't categorically say the xeon is better.

neither

you can use the xeon white normal the normal parts that you would also use for a i5 4690k

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

Lower clockspeed, no Skylake features, no overclocking, no iGPU for troubleshooting.... up to the owner, don't categorically say the xeon is better.

the hyperthreading and extra performance is definitely worth it

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

He wants to video edit, not game, so the iGPU and OC'ing won't help much. The Xeon's HT will definitely give him a performance boost & it's cheaper. Better buy overall

What?

Wondering which is better the I5-4690K or the I5-6600K. The main purpose is to game but with some 3d model rendering for school.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

He wants to video edit, not game, so the iGPU and OC'ing won't help much. The Xeon's HT will definitely give him a performance boost & it's cheaper. Better buy overall

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If the main goal is gaming, the Skylake is superior. However, you can go with the much cheaper i5 6400 / 6500 and still OC via BCLK, so you'll end up saving some money and still have a great CPU.

It'll still do good in 3d modeling.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Regardless of if the main purpose is to game or not, a Xeon is still a better choice.  An i5 might do slightly better on poorly threaded games, but a Xeon will do loads better for rendering and any game that is threaded well.

Yeah I know, I read it too quickly. Sorry

No problems. Either way, the choice is quite difficult. 

Do you live near a microcenter? They are selling 4790k's for $250. That would easily beat all 3 of these CPU's in both gaming and 3d workloads. If not, i would ask yourself which aspect is more important. Gaming, or 3d modeling. To be fair, CPU overclocking wont be that huge of an impact for most games, but it is quite beneficial to some titles and genre's (Older MMO's benefit greatly from higher clock speeds). Hyperthreading won't exactly do much for gaming, maybe 10% at best depending on the title. 

6600k would be nice as DDR4 can be faster if you overclock it, and would help with heavy compression. That being said, Skylake can be expensive depending on your location, as demand is high, and supply is low. If you can get a 6600k for the same price as the 4690k, then the 6600k is the obvious choice. If you absolutely believe 3d modeling will be the more important aspect of this build, then going with the Xeon will still be fine for gaming and 3d modeling.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No problems. Either way, the choice is quite difficult. 

Do you live near a microcenter? They are selling 4790k's for $250. That would easily beat all 3 of these CPU's in both gaming and 3d workloads. If not, i would ask yourself which aspect is more important. Gaming, or 3d modeling. To be fair, CPU overclocking wont be that huge of an impact for most games, but it is quite beneficial to some titles and genre's (Older MMO's benefit greatly from higher clock speeds). Hyperthreading won't exactly do much for gaming, maybe 10% at best depending on the title. 

6600k would be nice as DDR4 can be faster if you overclock it, and would help with heavy compression. That being said, Skylake can be expensive depending on your location, as demand is high, and supply is low. If you can get a 6600k for the same price as the 4690k, then the 6600k is the obvious choice. If you absolutely believe 3d modeling will be the more important aspect of this build, then going with the Xeon will still be fine for gaming and 3d modeling.

I think there is a center near me some where, should go check it out to see what they have. Thanks for all the advice guys