windows 10 on 1440p

swek

So i have a 1440p monitor, but sometimes there are apps that just open up with blurry text and i want to know if this is normal cuz the whole reason i bought a 1440p over 1080p was the extra crispiness which i definitely see in some cases but not all. One expample is itunes which for some reason just seems blurry to me. not to the extent i cant read it but it bothers me that it kinda feels like the money spent went down the drain. i refer not to the music list, that part is fine. it is more of the upper portion, the "now playing" section in which the text is less crisp. is there a fix for this? i already "disabled scaling on high dpi" btw

also i would like to know if i can run games at 1080p without any issue if i feel that my gpu cant handle 1440p. cuz i heard that there would be a drop in image quality?

CPU: Intel i5 6500 Motherboard: Asus H170M-E D3 Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 2x8 GB GPU: -NIL- SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB HDD: HGST Deststar NAS 3TB Case: Corsair 240 Air Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Display: Dell U2515H 25" 2560x1440 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe (Red LED + Cherry MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Speaker: Edifier M1360 2.1

So i have a 1440p monitor, but sometimes there are apps that just open up with blurry text and i want to know if this is normal cuz the whole reason i bought a 1440p over 1080p was the extra crispiness which i definitely see in some cases but not all. One expample is itunes which for some reason just seems blurry to me. not to the extent i cant read it but it bothers me that it kinda feels like the money spent went down the drain. i refer not to the music list, that part is fine. it is more of the upper portion, the "now playing" section in which the text is less crisp. is there a fix for this? i already "disabled scaling on high dpi" btw

also i would like to know if i can run games at 1080p without any issue if i feel that my gpu cant handle 1440p. cuz i heard that there would be a drop in image quality?

Even worse on 4K. Trust me.

Uhh.. according to ur signature u dont have a gpu?

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

set windows scaling to 100% in display settings

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

set windows scaling to 100% in display settings

but the reccommended settings is 125% tho?

CPU: Intel i5 6500 Motherboard: Asus H170M-E D3 Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 2x8 GB GPU: -NIL- SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB HDD: HGST Deststar NAS 3TB Case: Corsair 240 Air Power Supply: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Display: Dell U2515H 25" 2560x1440 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe (Red LED + Cherry MX Brown) Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Speaker: Edifier M1360 2.1

anything that is not 100% will be blurry

thats just the crappy windows scaling

yes haivng it at 100% will make things a bit smaller, but if you want perfectly crisp text and images, you need to use 100%

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For the best viewing experience 125% is indeed the best for your monitor.

The problem is that most developers are still stuck in their cave, because the majority of PCs don't have anything above a 23/24inch 1080p screen, so instead of pushing things like they used to back in the old days, they now look at marketshare, and use that as a deciding factor.

When Windows detects that a program is not high-DPI aware, it can only do 2 things. Inject code in the program to force text to appear bigger (but the rest remains small). That you can do by right-clicking on the program shortcut or executable, and select Properties, go under Compatibility tab, and check the box "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings", and click OK (and start/restart the program).

The issue with this method, is that it can only do it IF the program uses Windows GUI frameworks. If it uses something else, or custom, then Windows can't inject anything. Might as well go a China in a tiny village, and say in French: "Make it bigger!", and leave, and wonder why everyone looks at you crazy. You just can't. There is nothing Microsoft can do about it. So, what Windows does, is treat the program as an image, and just scale the program larger and add a smoothing effect on it so that text is readable, but it looks blurry.

The good news. Office 2013 and newer, Visual Studio 2013 and newer, Microsoft WebMatrix, IE11, FileZilla, Firefox, Chrome, CCleaner, Windows Media Player 12, Paint.NET, Recent versions of Adobe PhotoShop, and others, including all Universal Apps (developers have no choice, they are forced to) are now high-DPI aware. They look great!

What I can suggest is that you push the developers to make their software high-DPI aware. Adobe did it, because Surface Pro users demanded it. Be active, be vocal about it, and it will come. You should not have to be limited in your purchases, because some company thinks we are still in 2008.

I have tried to live with 100% but I just can't do it, the text is too small on too many programs. So I run at 125% and I have the issue in quite a few programs, they have blurry text or they don't actually scale at all.

• 1 year later...

hello, i have dell 2716DG how do make scalling? to small and i dont know how do scalling.

thanks!