New wifi/LAN solution for across 20 meters and through 4 reinforced concrete walls

Bean86

Hello everybody, (tl:dr at the end)

so I'm looking for a new solution to my Wifi issues. I'll give a quick run down on what I currently have and it's issues.

Network gear I have: Sagemcom Fast 3184 modem/router, Linksys WRT54GL router, D-Link DAP 1320 range extender, TP-Link TL-WA850RE range extender

Devices to connect: Livingroom (TV, NAS); Office (2 Desktops, Printer); Guest room (Sonos speaker); Bedroom (Sonos speaker)

How it's all connected: The ISPs modem/router is in the living room (can't have it anywhere else), TV and NAS are wired directly to that. A long cable runs from the modem out the window along the outside wall and back in through the window in the office to the WRT54GL where the two Desktops and printer are wired in and providing WiFi to the Sonos.

Now I want to get rid of the cable running outside through the windows.

The appartment is Living room ¦concrete wall¦bathroom¦concrete wall¦office¦concrete wall¦guestroom (all next to each other on one side of the building); the bedroom is adjecent to the guest room away from the that side of the outside wall divided by a corridor.

I did try to get wifi to the rooms through a range extender (D-Link) in the corridor just behind the first concrete wall (all reinforced btw with rebar) and another one in the office (TP-Link). This didn't work as the connection regularly dropped and was poor over all (Sonos couldn't run properly).

SO what are my options: I considered a better multi antenna router in the living room and use the Sagemcom as modem only, talking to an AP/router in the office.

Another thing would be powerline adapters but as I can't buy one to test (no return policies here) this is a big gamble (the building is fairly old from the 60s).

I'd like to keep the TV, NAS wired together through router/switch. Same goes for the 2 desktops and printer in the office. Last but not least the connection between livingroom and office should be at least 200Mbit (more is obviously better).

Last but not least I can't run wires through the appartment or through walls (due to esthetics and landlord).

Budget upto 400$

Thanks for reading and any input

tl:dr looking for a wifi solution to penetrate 3 reinforced concrete walls keeping a min of 200Mbits

with that many obstructions Id look into getting several cheaper wireless points and spreading them out between the rooms.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Max length for a CAT6 cable is 100 meters. Run a cable from the living room to the office and just run it along the interior walls. Put a switch in the office and run an additional cable to each room. You can then install small wireless extenders in each room if wireless is needed in the room.

If you want to try powerline adapters, buy from a website with a return policy like Amazon (if available where you live).

@Bean86

Give powerline a try. I use a pair of zyxel adapers to provide LAN Access for the devices down stairs and it works perfectly. It can handle FHD movie+FHD youtube stream without problems...

Its the PLA5206. I just ordered two TP-Link TL-PA8010P for my other NAS(wifi is too slow even with a dedicated AP for the NAS). They have a "big" advantage against the current zyxels, the passthrough feature :D . In theory they will arrive at Wednesday so i dont know yet what they can handle....

@suchamoneypit wouldn't that be like my try with the range extenders?

No each wireless access point would have to be connected via cable to the router. But if you put many around it will give you better coverage. Thats how schools and hotels do it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Its the PLA5206. I just ordered two TP-Link TL-PA8010P for my other NAS(wifi is too slow even with a dedicated AP for the NAS). They have a "big" advantage against the current zyxels, the passthrough feature :D . In theory they will arrive at Wednesday so i dont know yet what they can handle....

Thanks. Please post impressions once you get it. TP-Link I can get locally. Zyxel I'd need to import.

Thanks. Please post impressions once you get it. TP-Link I can get locally. Zyxel I'd need to import.

Well it tops out the 100Mb/s lan speeds thats for sure :D . The two adapter is on different breaker so i expected for  some speed drop but this is brutal. Well its still better than wifi... ;)

@jagdtigger you talking about the TP or Zyxel? what speeds did you get?

In my case they would be on different breakers too

The TP-Link. If a breaker is in the way it will slow down powerline adapters no matter which one you use :/ . I got 10 MB/s in both directions.

Edited by jagdtigger