So I made a website

Overkilled

My uncle bought me a domain (how thoughtful) and ive only been tinkering with the site for a few minutes so its definitely in Alpha atm but this is were ill be showcasing my buildlogs. Id appreciate if you guys had a look and suggested how I can make the site more professional

http://www.overkilled.co.uk/

do you know how to code? Looks pretty basic at the moment.

I know Python

I know Python

Knows Python, but not HTML or CSS? Tsk, tsk.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

looks nice so far what do you plan to do with it

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Learn some HTML and CSS before attempting to code a website, just a small tip :)

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

do you know how to code? Looks pretty basic at the moment.

Coding languages are not scripting or markup languages, note.

I know Python

Python isn't gonna get you far for websites. You'll need some basic HTML and CSS knowledge, and some other languages depending on what you want to make. OR, use a program like Wix etc.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Moved to Programming and Software Design.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@Overkilled If you lived in the United States, why is the domain .co.uk?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

They live in Liverpool.  That's why?

On his page, it says he lives in LA

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Wordpress!

Logo looks nice, although its probably a stock one!

im experimenting with different themes atm the ovk one is one I made myself

Try this for inspiration, its one I made earlier.

http://projects.crowes.co/biotechgames

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

I like the theme. It's very nice and clean looking. Great start, I think.

A little technical advice, for Wordpress development you are gonna want to know PHP (assuming you want to customize your theme at all or develop custom plugins). 

Thankfully PHP is not much different from Python (aside from a few syntactic differences), given both of them are heavily influenced by C.

Also, like others say, you'll want to look into HTML and CSS. Though, they are pretty simple to understand. They aren't programming languages so there's no logic or algorithmic challenges. Just use a good reference like Mozilla Developer Network or something.

Also, I am not sure what you meant by "forged through thousands of years of evolution." but it sounds kind of odd... (Electronic) Computers have only been around for less than a century.

I'd disagree with a lot of previous posters saying that you need to learn to code to build a good website. That, in my experience, just isn't true. Sure, if you want to build a website with tons of functionality that don't exist in Wordpress (since I saw that that's what you're using), it'd be great if you know the HTML/CSS/JS/PHP stack so you won't have to spend a ton of money on developers. But for the most part, seeing that all you really want is to just post build logs, you don't necessarily need to learn to code. However, it would be really great if you could study fundamentals of design, especially when it comes to user interface and experience (UI/UX), so that you can build a pleasant website for yourself. Otherwise, you can just grab a nice looking Wordpress theme, tweak it a bit with the Wordpress customizer feature, and all that's really left is to organize your content and start publishing.

It's not about building a good website, it's about building a good website from scratch and understanding completely how it does what it does. There's no fun in having it all done for you by an extended CMS platform.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

It's not about building a good website, it's about building a good website from scratch and understanding completely how it does what it does. There's no fun in having it all done for you by an extended CMS platform.

Not really. It's only fun if you're into web development, not a content creator. As the latter, you'd probably want to focus on posting stuff instead of expending energy and time on the former.