GeForce Titan Questions

Ghost

Before you reply please look at the date of this thread. I will not longer be replying to it.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

you must live under a rock
Rude. But okay. I haven't seen any news about it. News articles start popping up at around 2 weeks ago for this card.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Go to the geforce site and you will see according to their 3dmark vantage score this card beats all of the geforce cards so far

this is what the original 680 should have been, and since they managed to perform on the same lvl as amd with the mid ranged chip gk 104, they did not bother with it, and save some cash. This is just out so nvidia can say amd you have nothing on us ( amd did make a dual gpu but it was a firepro card so it was disappointing for amd fans, the card was awesome on paper ) , and that they did not even try for he 600 series, because they saw how "badly" HD7000 performed at launch, and to keep pc enthusiasts away from consoles, just to remind them how good your pc graphics can be, crysis 3 on consoles is a great example, the game looks terrible ( have seen gameplays on both consoles, and it looks bad, i mean it's still DX9, so it was natural to expect that ).

If amd did not boost their performance with their drivers ( catalyst 12.xx i think ), NVIDIA would probably not bother with this until next gen cards.

The card is too expensive, and you should only consider it as a 690 replacement, but all in all nvidia is pretty much the performance king this generation, amd still takes price/performance crown and is a more viable choice since nvidia is too proud ( or greedy ) to lower the 600 series prices, they are too expensive, AMD lowered prices at a very good point and that is why they are competitive all the time...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Check out Linus' unboxing if the thing ;)
I watched all of them but linus just told us its quiet and looks good. That wasn't very helpful.

Well what I want to ask is what is this card? It seems to have sprung out of no-where. Can we expect adaptive overclocking on older cards with some driver tweaking? Do they allow water-cooling for this card? How much will it cost? How much more powerful than a 7970/680 is it? Are AMD/ATI likely to try and launch a product to compete with this? 7980 :O

what do you mean by adaptive overclocking? If you mean GPU Boost, on all card... I am working on it since the past 4 months as a new features of my software: http://www.nvgpupro.com/nvgpupro/

It won't have max power usage and other stuff like that, as the drivers doesn't give me that info. But, it will go with temperature and GPU usage, and you create your own overclock profile. So in other words, you can make you own extreme OC profile, where Nv GPU Pro will auto switch to it, when you most need it.

The goal of my software is to be an ultimate graphic card utility, that overclocker will want to use. It's still fairly new, about a year old. There is a beta version (for people that purchased the premium version) with the new Auto GPU Boost feature, and a very long list of improvements. If you want a status update. Everything is done and working perfectly except for Auto GPU Boost feature. It works fine, but there are other features that I need to add for it, and update the help documentation. So soon.

And of course, my software allows you to be able to use it with conjunction with MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision, instead of the built-in one, for voltage control, and what you prefer.

Watercooling will depend on the manufacture warranty policy, not Nvidia. This is the same for all other graphic cards.

It will cost the same as the GTX 690, so 999$

The GPU is more powerful then the 690 and 7970

AMD has not announced anything, no leak info, beside that AMD has mentioned that will not release their desktop non-OEM 8000 series until next year.

Well what I want to ask is what is this card? It seems to have sprung out of no-where. Can we expect adaptive overclocking on older cards with some driver tweaking? Do they allow water-cooling for this card? How much will it cost? How much more powerful than a 7970/680 is it? Are AMD/ATI likely to try and launch a product to compete with this? 7980 :O

what do you mean by adaptive overclocking? If you mean GPU Boost, on all card... I am working on it since the past 4 months as a new features of my software: http://www.nvgpupro.com/nvgpupro/

It won't have max power usage and other stuff like that, as the drivers doesn't give me that info. But, it will go with temperature and GPU usage, and you create your own overclock profile. So in other words, you can make you own extreme OC profile, where Nv GPU Pro will auto switch to it, when you most need it.

The goal of my software is to be an ultimate graphic card utility, that overclocker will want to use. It's still fairly new, about a year old. There is a beta version (for people that purchased the premium version) with the new Auto GPU Boost feature, and a very long list of improvements. If you want a status update. Everything is done and working perfectly except for Auto GPU Boost feature. It works fine, but there are other features that I need to add for it, and update the help documentation. So soon.

And of course, my software allows you to be able to use it with conjunction with MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision, instead of the built-in one, for voltage control, and what you prefer.

Watercooling will depend on the manufacture warranty policy, not Nvidia. This is the same for all other graphic cards.

It will cost the same as the GTX 690, so 999$

The GPU is more powerful then the 690 and 7970

AMD has not announced anything, no leak info, beside that AMD has mentioned that will not release their desktop non-OEM 8000 series until next year.

I thought the AMD thing was just a rumor. All thats happened is they haven't told anyone they are going to release anything this year. Or have they made a statement that they wont?

These questions probably cannot be answered because they are still under NDA or it just isn't possible to answer at this point.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

AMD will be releasing a 8000 series sometime this year in Q4 or next year Q1.

The Geforce Titan, as Linus has said in his videos, is the world's single most fastest dual slot single GPU card. With that being said and it's price point($999) it will most likely be the same as the GTX 690/7990 in performance and will destroy the 7970/680. I would also like to add that it is more of a workstation/gaming card hybrid, so that is why it isn't named with a series # like GTX 780, etc. Nvidia will be releasing a GTX 700 series, but it most likely will not have any correlation between the Titan and itself.

The Geforce Titan, as Linus has said in his videos, is the world's single most fastest dual slot single GPU card. With that being said and it's price point($999) it will most likely be the same as the GTX 690/7990 in performance and will destroy the 7970/680. I would also like to add that it is more of a workstation/gaming card hybrid, so that is why it isn't named with a series # like GTX 780, etc. Nvidia will be releasing a GTX 700 series, but it most likely will not have any correlation between the Titan and itself.

Thanks. I think the name is confusing.

It should be called the 685 just for logic purposes.

Soon enough we will see the "slitan"

I think the name fits fine. The performance is speculated to be more than twice the 680

I think the name fits fine. The performance is speculated to be more than twice the 680
As long as they call the dual gpu version the Slitan I'm fine with the name.

EDIT: And if you have 3 of them you must say you have a tritan!

The Titan is using a different GPU architecture, so it isn't even in the 600 series either, it's in its own league, think of it as a little brother of a Quadro card.

Actually the Titan uses the same architecture of the 600 series.

Technically speaking the Titan is suppose to be 680, and the current 680 is support to be the 670, and so on.

If you had the 680 on day one, the driver detected your card as the 670. And the 670 was detected as the 660. Nvidia quickly released updated drivers to resolve this.

The reason for this is that the current 600 series was very difficult to produce, hence shy there was a shortage. The GK110 was near impossible to produce it. More work had to be done to ease the process... and then made Tesla with it.

Remember, the way Nvidia does a GPU, is that they do the fanciest model first... Tesla. And then they cut down for the Quadro, and then cut down as GeForce, and the rest of the "faulty/not certified for the needed models" GPU's end up as the low end GeForce.

According to Toms Hardware, its performance is between that of a 7970 Ghz, and GTX 690. They basically summed it up, that if you want to spend a grand on a GPU, and that unless you are using a small form factor system, stick with the 690. Or go dual 7970s. And that the Titan is not worth $600 more than a 7970 in sheer price/performance. However, it does offer better scaling in SLI then 690s.

If nothing helpful to say, please keep it to yourself. We want a welcoming atmosphere here.

I'd just be patient and wait for benchmarks to start being released. As mentioned, the NDA at the moment is basically that of you can look but you can't touch - performance data other than that of NVidia's own publication isn't allowed to be released. Patience :P

Just as a bit of speculation this may actually be the GTX790 - if they're going to release the GTX700 series then why release a card before then that won't be superior to the most powerful in the new lineup?

uhoh linus yelled at me lol. Okay i apoligize, this was only the millionth titan thread started yesterday... But the rumors have been around for a month or soit was hard for me not to go to a hardware website or watch one of my tech shows and not hear about. It hasnt been released yet, but once linus has some benchmarks of it live we can expect it to be released soon (probably that day)>

Check out Linus' unboxing if the thing ;)
he is under NDA. He is obviously very excited about the titan if hes making dedicated videos just to talk about the features he is allowed to talk about.

i bet the titan will actually be the gtx 780 as well. a cheaper version with less memory probably

According to Toms Hardware, its performance is between that of a 7970 Ghz, and GTX 690. They basically summed it up, that if you want to spend a grand on a GPU, and that unless you are using a small form factor system, stick with the 690. Or go dual 7970s. And that the Titan is not worth $600 more than a 7970 in sheer price/performance. However, it does offer better scaling in SLI then 690s.
we dont even know its performance yet. Plus that 6gb native vram is already shouting to me saying "7680x1440!!!!"

I'd just be patient and wait for benchmarks to start being released. As mentioned, the NDA at the moment is basically that of you can look but you can't touch - performance data other than that of NVidia's own publication isn't allowed to be released. Patience :P

Just as a bit of speculation this may actually be the GTX790 - if they're going to release the GTX700 series then why release a card before then that won't be superior to the most powerful in the new lineup?

why would they release a single gpu card as a 790 when the 590 and 690 are both dual gpus.

This card is less powerful than the GTX 690, it is in a class of it own currently, unless Nvidia wants to try some name-swapping nonsense.