Will I gain or lose gaming performance by upgrading to 5820k and DDR4?

lexidobe

What's your current specks?

Edit: Just saw your profile.

You won't see a bit of performance increase in Gaming. (but about 1 - 2 fps extra)

But for Video Editing and Rendering, it'll help a lot.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

What would you be upgrading from?

@lexidobe

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

No, you will not lose gaming performance with a 5820k

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

maybe you will lose a bit, since 4790k has better single core performance

but it's negligibile

but in rendering/editing it will be a monster

AFAIK the 5820's are pretty good clockers, Im not sure how the cores compare at the same speed, but if I had my time again I would have gone X99 on my system (at the time I didnt think I would be going m.2 and SLI)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I need a 6 core CPU for video editing and rendering. I have a 4790k.

Seems like a waste of money to me... better off buying a used workstation for the sole purpose of work unless you think you can sale the 4790k system for a decent price.

Looking at what, 35% increase perhaps? If you can resale might be worth it. But you can pick up a 16 core 32 thread workstations for under $1500 and have a true rendering beast if you actually are going to be using for purely work. Definitely something to consider. Time is money.

cinebench-multi.png

You will see some reduction in gaming performance, partly due to reduced clockspeed and partly due to the cache structure on the -E series of CPUs being designed for multithreaded access. In a lot of games its not going to matter but when it does it can be quite a bit slower than just having a mainstream CPU. Its worth about 5 fps in Arma 3 for example.

Most AAA games these days seem to effectively use all 8 thread of my E3-1231v3, so I wouldn't be too worried about losing gaming performance with six actual cores and twelve threads. I imagine you will lose performance in single thread dominated games like Arma III or Far Cry 4 though, since I doubt you'll get as high a clockspeed on a 5820k as you will 4790k.