What's a good budget Wi-Fi adapter under $10-$15?

I've been using a shitty little USB Wi-Fi adapter ever since I built my PC. Lately, I've started playing FPS's like Black Ops 2 and Titanfall, only to find that my ping is higher than the ISS! Now, my internet isn't bad by any means. I've been able to play console games(I have BO3 on PS4) no problem. I think the main problem here is that my computer is upstairs, while my console is down next to the router. Another thing to note is that my current adapter doesn't support 5Ghz connections.

So, what's a good-quality Wi-Fi adapter - USB or PCI; it doesn't matter - that costs around or below $15? Preferably one that can connect to 5Ghz.

well first of all, any kind of wireless is going to be bad for fps games

doesnt matter if you spend $200 on a high end wifi adapter, your connection will still be bad

second, for $15 youre still going to get a crappy wifi connection probably as bad as what you are using right now

you should either just buy a long ethernet cable (the best option) or try to save up and use powerline adapters

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

To be honest for $15 there isn't anything good. Running a long ethernet cable would be about $15 and give you the best connection.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

well first of all, any kind of wireless is going to be bad for fps games

doesnt matter if you spend $200 on a high end wifi adapter, your connection will still be bad

second, for $15 youre still going to get a crappy wifi connection probably as bad as what you are using right now

you should either just buy a long ethernet cable (the best option) or try to save up and use powerline adapters

To be honest for $15 there isn't anything good. Running a long ethernet cable would be about $15 and give you the best connection.

Yeah, I thought so.

• 3 years later...
On 12/22/2015 at 10:20 AM, fireclaw316 said:

Yeah, I thought so.

Dude here from 4 years into the future. In 2019, WiFi adapters have become so advanced and about the size of a regular USB wireless mouse adapter. It's really amazing how companies like TP-LINK have advanced their technologies for only about $10.