So is the i3-6100 the new price to performance king?

For the longest time people have been clamoring for an unlocked i3, and now it's here with all these BIOS updates allowing BCLK overclocking. And the results look incredible. In Digital Foundry's benchmark they show a 4.4 GHz i3-6100 with DDR4-2600 RAM (clocked at 2560 MT/s) performing near the stock i5-4690k + DDR3-1600 and mostly beating the stock i5-3570k +DDR3-1600 and i5-2500k + DDR3-1600.

Technically, yes.

Beating out the G3258 on price to performance now that BCLK OCing is possible.

Where the 6100 sat at #2 before.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

if you can be bothered, and if get a good chip, and if intel doesn't prevent OCing of Locked processors...

see where i'm going with this

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Pretty much if you know how to overclock.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

if you can be bothered, and if get a good chip, and if intel doesn't prevent OCing of Locked processors...

Can Intel force BIOS updates through say Windows Update to disable this?

they did with most H81, B85, and H97 for the G3258 (not through windows updates though iirc)

if they can specifically target their locked chips in a Z170 board, they may do that as well.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Prevent it with what, a windows update? Group Policy Editor to the rescue! As far as binning goes, a 300mhz OC on these i3's should be feasible on even the absolute worst bins. 4ghz i3, having the same single core performance of a stock i7? Yeah, that's still amazing. 

I am trying to find a Core i5 6600T to overclock, just to test my theory on the T SKU's having the best binning. Once i get my hands on one, i'll test whether or not the 6100 is the price:performance king. 

No, they cannot. BIOS updates through windows update would be seen as the biggest security risk imaginable, and not only that, MS would not ever take the time to add a bios update for every single motherboard and vendor imaginable to facilitate such an option. They can beg and plead to the board partners themselves, but i doubt they will care.

In fact, i believe Intel does not mind this. Think about it. The K SKU's are so far sold out almost everywhere (or priced $100-$200 above MSRP) that people are starting to buy older Intel SKU's instead. This hurt the board partners sales on Z170, because Z97 and X99 were cheaper options all around. Allowing you to OC the locked SKU's meant that the supply of these SKU's were steady enough for people to do it, and would help sell Z170 again. Intel sells chips that are less demanded by overclockers, board partners sell more boards. Win-Win. Sure, it might mean less K sales later on, but Intel can always fix that by locking down certain features on locked SKU's, like virtualization or TSX. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So, is this something  that consumers can put on their build 6 months from now or is it temporary until intel locks this again?

This.

Here, the 860K has more practicality even if there's not much juice to be squeezed out of one

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

now imagine an i5 6400, the cheapest skylake i5 getting an overclock, that should be the best price/performance on a quad core

The site has changed....

Prevent it with what, a windows update? Group Policy Editor to the rescue! As far as binning goes, a 300mhz OC on these i3's should be feasible on even the absolute worst bins. 4ghz i3, having the same single core performance of a stock i7? Yeah, that's still amazing. 

I am trying to find a Core i5 6600T to overclock, just to test my theory on the T SKU's having the best binning. Once i get my hands on one, i'll test whether or not the 6100 is the price:performance king. 

No, they cannot. BIOS updates through windows update would be seen as the biggest security risk imaginable, and not only that, MS would not ever take the time to add a bios update for every single motherboard and vendor imaginable to facilitate such an option. They can beg and plead to the board partners themselves, but i doubt they will care.

In fact, i believe Intel does not mind this. Think about it. The K SKU's are so far sold out almost everywhere (or priced $100-$200 above MSRP) that people are starting to buy older Intel SKU's instead. This hurt the board partners sales on Z170, because Z97 and X99 were cheaper options all around. Allowing you to OC the locked SKU's meant that the supply of these SKU's were steady enough for people to do it, and would help sell Z170 again. Intel sells chips that are less demanded by overclockers, board partners sell more boards. Win-Win. Sure, it might mean less K sales later on, but Intel can always fix that by locking down certain features on locked SKU's, like virtualization or TSX. 

Is there any reasonable way for Intel to shut this down other than threatening board manufacturers?

Is there any reasonable way for Intel to shut this down other than threatening board manufacturers?

There are only two options ever. Microcode update via BIOS, or forcing a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bluescreen after an update through windows update (Like when they stopped H and B series motherboards from overclocking the G3258). If they choose to do the petty windows update approach, combat it with Group Policy Editor, and shut down automatic updates. If they do it with the bios, simply refuse to update it. It's that simple. They will never force a BIOS update on ANYONE. It is just too risky for them to attempt that. What if someone's PC were to crash when you forced that update, and you brick their board? It would be too costly in the end for them to risk that on every single board, from every single vendor in circulation. 

I think it's safe to say that this BCLK overclocking is here to stay. Intel knew that by separating the BCLK and PCIE clocks, that this was bound to happen. I believe they intended for this result, so people should calm down and enjoy it. 

last time i checked overclocking the g3258 on h87/h97/b85/h81 boards was possible (multiplier if my memory serves me correctly)

when they changed that?

The site has changed....

last time i checked overclocking the g3258 on h87/h97/b85/h81 boards was possible (multiplier if my meomory serves me correctly)

when they changed that?

There was a random windows update that was forcing people to bluescreen. It was believed to be the following update: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064209

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78433?start=0&tstart=0

There was a random windows update that was forcing people to bluescreen. It was believed to be the following update: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064209

https://communities.intel.com/thread/78433?start=0&tstart=0

disabling/uninstalling the update would work or there is no turning back?

The site has changed....

disabling/uninstalling the update would work or there is no turning back?

It would. Problem was, people had trouble getting back on their PC's without recovery disks (boot loop issues) and i believe the "fix" was included by default in windows 10. I stopped paying attention to it (It never effected me, always have Z series boards because I do not settle for budget quality on boards and PSU's) but I believe people had trouble installing windows 10 because of the same problem.

I can google it and see if it is still relevant, though I doubt it matters.

It would. Problem was, people had trouble getting back on their PC's without recovery disks (boot loop issues) and i believe the "fix" was included by default in windows 10. I stopped paying attention to it (It never effected me, always have Z series boards because I do not settle for budget quality on boards and PSU's) but I believe people had trouble installing windows 10 because of the same problem.

I can google it and see if it is still relevant, though I doubt it matters.

no need,man, i just asked out of curiosity. :)

still rockin my sandy bridge i5

edit. also found this:Windows 10 Build 10586.3 seems to have updated mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and restored OC capability.

The site has changed....