16gb or 32gb of Ram?

nkucz

So I wanna get this ram for my build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ST0H18816

However I am worried because I will have to buy a whole new kit if I want to upgrade to 32gigs of ram. But the real question is will I ever need that much?

I do basic photoshop and video editing and I game and do basic stuff such as search the web and stuff. I will be attending college next year where I will be majoring in computer science. Thanks Guys!

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

16 GB is enough for gaming and most tasks. But go for a more trusted brand like Corsair

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The simple solution ofc is to buy 2 x 8GB for a board with 4 DIMMs, that way you can see if 16GB is enough and if it isn't, you can buy another 2 x 8GB later on to make 32GB :)

If you want my 2 cents, 16GB is probably enough.

16 GB is enough for gaming and most tasks. But go for a more trusted brand like Corsair

I love the white leds and don't feel like paying 180 for dominator platinum... also this is meant for my motherboard and is meant for overclocking, all reviews show it overclocks like a dream, is quality, and overall great ram

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

16Gb is more than enough, to be honest after reading your post, I'm pretty sure 8Gb would be fine. 32Gb is total overkill and useless in your case. 

The simple solution ofc is to buy 2 x 8GB for a board with 4 DIMMs, that way you can see if 16GB is enough and if it isn't, you can buy another 2 x 8GB later on to make 32GB :)

Best answer :)

Ik but they don't sell this in a 2x8 and I really want it haha

I love the white leds and don't feel like paying 180 for dominator platinum... also this is meant for my motherboard and is meant for overclocking, all reviews show it overclocks like a dream, is quality, and overall great ram

The LED's really don't mean a thing... It's not worth it at all

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Yeah agreed with comment above, you could survive on 8GB easily, but if you do want that 16GB's I would go that. 32GB is overkill and won't be used at all

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

The LED's really don't mean a thing... It's not worth it at all

ik they don't... it's great ram and it matches my build

actually avexir is very well trusted :) msi even endorses them with their mpower lineup ;)

ik they don't... it's great ram and it matches my build

Just add an LED case kit. RAM LEDs aren't that good. Better just to go fore full white rams or paint the heatpsreaders

lol, well I bought 2 x 8GB being mindful that I'd need more than the 12GB I had in my old 1366 machine, but wasn't sure if I'd need as much as 32GB. In my case 16GB is enough and I do some pretty hardcore virtualisation xD

actually avexir is very well trusted :) msi even endorses them with their mpower lineup ;)

and I am getting a z77 mpower :P

Just add an LED case kit. RAM LEDs aren't that good. Better just to go fore full white rams or paint the heatpsreaders

I'm going to be getting a case kit as well, but it will look really good with the nzxt x40 lit up in white right next to it as well

and I am getting a z77 mpower :P

Good choice, people havent seen them around much so theyre still pretty iffy of them but its solid memory so i wouldnt worry :)

Nothing that you can do, if they only sell 4x4 and not 2x8 you have to stick with that. 16Gb is more than enough and you won't need to get more in the next few years, so just go with it. ;)

I would just go for 32GB. 

You can make the extra RAM you never use into a RAMDisk (many times faster than an SSD) or use Fancy Cache to make your HDDs a wee bit faster.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Good choice, people havent seen them around much so theyre still pretty iffy of them but its solid memory so i wouldnt worry :)

Exactly! Thanks!

I would just go for 32GB. 

You can make the extra RAM you never use into a RAMDisk (many times faster than an SSD) or use Fancy Cache to make your HDDs a wee bit faster.

I have looked into a RAMDisk and decided against it.. you have to get a special card just for your boot and it is unreliable and takes to much work just to run a program fast xD

I have looked into a RAMDisk and decided against it.. you have to get a special card just for your boot and it is unreliable and takes to much work just to run a program fast xD

I do not know what you are talking about. The RAMDisk I speak of is a purely software thing. And I do not mean for a boot drive, but for games and video editing and such.

Free trial for AMD RAMDisk software is up to 4GB. ASRock offers theirs for ASRock motherboards and it lets you do any size.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I do not know what you are talking about. The RAMDisk I speak of is a purely software thing. And I do not mean for a boot drive, but for games and video editing and such.

Free trial for AMD RAMDisk software is up to 4GB. ASRock offers theirs for ASRock motherboards and it lets you do any size.

ik but it won't speed up the boot time so why waste the money on a 32gb kit

ik but it won't speed up the boot time so why waste the money on a 32gb kit

Up to you. I have 2x8GBs right now. I fully intend to use all 32GB of my RAM once I have the kit I want.

† Christian Member †

Anybody know what speed memory modules the MSI z77 MPOWER board can handle?